Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1285 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2020, 02:34 PM - 2 Likes   #1621
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Aren't we far, far off-topic?
So, par for the course for this section of the forums?

02-24-2020, 02:37 PM - 3 Likes   #1622
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
So, par for the course for this section of the forums?
Most of the forum is just time well wasted.
02-24-2020, 02:48 PM   #1623
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Off-topic, but some useful information still being shared. Could be worse.
02-24-2020, 02:52 PM   #1624
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tmlawes Quote
Off-topic, but some useful information still being shared. Could be worse.
Indeed, but then lost: nobody will think to look for it in such a thread.

02-24-2020, 03:16 PM   #1625
Pentaxian

I wish I had a dime for every time I've searched for something I read in the last few days and can't find it.

Last edited by normhead; 02-24-2020 at 03:50 PM.
02-24-2020, 03:45 PM   #1626
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
If you are finding lots of printer stuff, I think you might be looking in the wrong place.

Are you looking at Ricoh (株式会社リコー) or Ricoh Imaging (リコーイメージング株式会社)?

Here is where most of the ones relevant to cameras are. About two are added each week.
???????????????????? 2020?

However, from what I can identify, things in this list are normally related to cameras that have already been released. Either that or things that never get implemented in a real product.
My bad. I tried finding both Ricoh and Ricoh Imaging to make sure I didn't miss anything. There was only one that worked by searching and I believe it was definitely not the one I wanted to find lol.
I now see what you meant. Many of that does seem to be updated/renewed patents for existing things. And the rest I believe have been covered in various other threads (the new AF system, SR system, Hybrid Viewfinder system).
02-25-2020, 03:00 AM   #1627
Pentaxian

Aren't we far, far off-topic?
Same as K new's availability i'm affraid

02-25-2020, 03:38 AM   #1628
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am not sure how this thread can keep going for another 6 to 7 months, assuming no new information. What tends to happen is that it drifts all over the place and in particular becomes a wonderful place for people to complain about Pentax's lack of movement on new gear.

Probably a lot of fun for the moderators...
02-25-2020, 05:04 AM   #1629
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
complain about Pentax's lack of movement on new gear.
...or lose interest. This is a beginning of camera discussions running in circle at all camera review / forum sites. All this internet marketing content about cameras and lenses is quickly going to fade away because the new cameras models bring almost nothing significantly useful over previous models. I can see DPR keep reviewing new models, that sounds like rambling, bringing no advantage over the 3 years old models for still photography. If I ever buy anything of those cameras it'd be a model from 2016 at a significantly lower price than lastest models. Same "old" 24Mpixels sensor, and no one can tell the difference between the 24Mp images of 2016 and the 26Mp images of 2020.
02-25-2020, 05:17 AM - 3 Likes   #1630
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
...or lose interest. This is a beginning of camera discussions running in circle at all camera review / forum sites. All this internet marketing content about cameras and lenses is quickly going to fade away because the new cameras models bring almost nothing significantly useful over previous models. I can see DPR keep reviewing new models, that sounds like rambling, bringing no advantage over the 3 years old models for still photography. If I ever buy anything of those cameras it'd be a model from 2016 at a significantly lower price than lastest models. Same "old" 24Mpixels sensor, and no one can tell the difference between the 24Mp images of 2016 and the 26Mp images of 2020.
This entire "lose interest" thing is just terrible. No one complains because whatever car company doesn't reinvent each model every year. Same goes for most other tools, and cameras should be the same - there is no need to get excited about whatever shiny new feature. And, honestly, most people don't, it's mostly the gearheads with nothing better to do.

Whatever happened to using stuff until it breaks? Then you just replace it by something that is newer, not necessarily a revolutionary improvement.
02-25-2020, 05:19 AM   #1631
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
...bringing no advantage over the 3 years old models for still photography. . . .
I agree

what will the K New offer that is new and improved ?

[ no predictions or guesses, the answers for me will not come until the K New is actually for sale ]

and is that enough of an improvement over existing models to make it worth the price for how I take photos ?

I am not expecting it to be enough for me

but I could be wrong
02-25-2020, 05:23 AM   #1632
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
what will the K New offer that is new and improved ?
Pentax have more room for improvement than others, typically AF, burst rate, 4K video (if any interest), and battery life (new battery? new more efficient processor and energy management, standby times..).
I don't see improvements coming on currenty state of image quality from Pentax sensor implementations. At this point in time, the only way I see that truly improve image quality is increase of sensor size (I don't buy into cramming more pixels onto the same sensor area...).
02-25-2020, 05:44 AM   #1633
Pentaxian

I can also just imagine that there is going to (hopefully) come big new techical solutions what coe in performance. Hard to think that image quality will increase that much. Maybe one or 2 stop more of ISO performance? Some more DR? Everyones images are going to look exact the same. Given that you will stick with the same format.

It will be long month to have not much to discuss. It is the ’forums’ after all.

Some of those camera hype what is going on is almost overwhelming. Say that I buy brand (x) now just to get the latest of the latest. It will take couple of month or year to have it overshadowed. Did you manage to get most out of it? Will you now have to buy something else to stay in that wheel of high tech.

Good thing is that there is plenty to choose from. Bad thing is that you can almost get exhausted.

They must be trying that K-new out by now. It could be in couple of months(+one or 2 because of Corona virus) when something will be leaking out. After all, it is not ’that’ long wait after all of these years..
02-25-2020, 06:27 AM   #1634
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I can also just imagine that there is going to (hopefully) come big new techical solutions what coe in performance. Hard to think that image quality will increase that much. Maybe one or 2 stop more of ISO performance? Some more DR? Everyones images are going to look exact the same. Given that you will stick with the same format.

It will be long month to have not much to discuss. It is the ’forums’ after all.

Some of those camera hype what is going on is almost overwhelming. Say that I buy brand (x) now just to get the latest of the latest. It will take couple of month or year to have it overshadowed. Did you manage to get most out of it? Will you now have to buy something else to stay in that wheel of high tech.

Good thing is that there is plenty to choose from. Bad thing is that you can almost get exhausted.

They must be trying that K-new out by now. It could be in couple of months(+one or 2 because of Corona virus) when something will be leaking out. After all, it is not ’that’ long wait after all of these years..
My K-3 at 135,000 clicks will last another 4 or 5 years.

And there's a K-P if it fails early, which for most things is clearly an upgrade. When ever my shoulder is bothering me I think maybe I'll just go with a K-P in any case, because it's smaller and lighter. But currently, the odds of me doing anything before the K-3 dies are pretty slim. Especially since I have my K-1 and 80% of the time they are pretty much interchangeable.
02-25-2020, 06:32 AM - 2 Likes   #1635
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's beginning to look like CP+ might have been another disappointing show regarding anything new - even information I know times are tough, but they don't get less tough by having nothing to attract new customers or hold wavering ones. Still hope to be proven wrong
Closed Thread