Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2019, 06:39 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Bloody ... This is both informative and inpirational. Thumps up to the guys down under. I haven't heard of some of these features before, but then I'm on a K3II

12-05-2019, 07:54 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Craigbob Quote
Nikon has the D810A as well and that also has the same kind of Filter mod as the Canon A cameras do. Since the D810 uses the same Sensor as the K-1 modding a K-1 might be a more affordable way to go. The D810A goes for around $3800 for the body. At that price I can get a cooled FF astro camera that will be better.

---------- Post added 11-22-19 at 06:03 PM ----------

You can use it for normal shooting, but you'd have to have a custom white balance set for it. The older Canon 20DA and 60DA has the ability to set a custom white balance for terrestrial photography. I don't see why the Canon EOS RA wouldn't nor the Nikon D810A.

Hell; I'm half tempted to pick up a used K-1 and have the modification done by Spencers including a cooling system and I'm still less than the EOS RA or D810A and I'd have Astrotracer to boot!

I feel my credit card starting to feel warm.
Maybe get the cooling system on the credit card.

Thank you for sharing the video I didn't exactly get the same results in Bulb mode something to read up on tomorrow.

---------- Post added 12-06-2019 at 02:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
The presenter is wearing a Pentax Forums tee shirt, must be a member here?
I would hope so C R Kennedy the Producers are the Australian distributors of Pentax.
12-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #48
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
The capabilities of Pentax cameras themselves are really quite good for astrophotography, as outlined in this discussion.

What would really improve the usability of Pentax cameras for astro would be some software: BackyardPentax (doesn't actually exist at this time). This would be comparable to BackyardEOS, which fully controls most Canon cameras in the same way that dedicated astrocameras are controlled by fullscale astroimaging software, such as Maxim DL.

To see what BackyardEOS does for Canon cameras, see:

BackyardEOS - O'Telescope

If only Pentax cameras had such software, astro imaging using Pentax wouldn't be so manual. Intervalometers only give so much automation.

My KP and K-1ii take nice, high-quality astro images, but Canon shooters get more done faster and easier than I can.
12-06-2019, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #49

Ricoh announced the re-production of several telescope products a few hours ago. It is reasonable to believe that the telescope product line will be restarted and is perfectly compatible with the current 135 and 645 series DLSR

12-06-2019, 09:54 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D FA 24 F2 Quote
Ricoh announced the re-production of several telescope products a few hours ago. It is reasonable to believe that the telescope product line will be restarted and is perfectly compatible with the current 135 and 645 series DLSR
Do you have a link to this news?
12-06-2019, 10:14 AM   #51
Pentaxian

^ I found this press release from today: Ricoh Imaging are re-releasing two eyepieces for astronomical telescopes, smc Pentax XW30-R and smc Pentax XW40-R, as replacement for the discontinued smc Pentax XW30 and smc Pentax XW40. Product specifications are the same as those of the discontinued equipment.

High-performance eyepiece "smc PENTAX XW" series two models re-released | RICOH IMAGING
12-06-2019, 10:36 AM   #52
Veteran Member

I have not delved into deep sky astro (yet) but my understanding is we just need a T mount adapter for our camera and then we can attach our camera to a telescope to take images?

No need for eyepieces. Just the T mount adapter which you can buy from Pentax or others.

So you can do it today, if you have a telescope and the adapter?

12-06-2019, 02:35 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
I have not delved into deep sky astro (yet) but my understanding is we just need a T mount adapter for our camera and then we can attach our camera to a telescope to take images?

No need for eyepieces. Just the T mount adapter which you can buy from Pentax or others.

So you can do it today, if you have a telescope and the adapter?
That's correct. A T-adapter (and either a 1.25 or 2" adapter tube and a camera and you can be imaging through a telescope. I do it frequently.