11-13-2019, 08:36 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for sharing!

11-13-2019, 10:43 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Canon came up with a camera specifically for astrophotography. Does anyone know what's the difference between that camera and a simple DSLR like Pentax. After all, I've seen a lot of fabulous astro shots by some members here.
11-13-2019, 11:12 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I don’t shoot Astro, but sometimes I wish I could capture some of the beautiful meteors I’ve seen.
11-14-2019, 12:01 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Canon came up with a camera specifically for astrophotography. Does anyone know what's the difference between that camera and a simple DSLR like Pentax. After all, I've seen a lot of fabulous astro shots by some members here.
Canon camera hasn't got a mirror.

11-14-2019, 12:35 AM - 3 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

Both the Canon and Nikon "Astro" camera's are not about the built in Astrotracer we have in our camera's they have different filters on their sensors to capture extra light frequencies that normal sensors cut. So they are more for attaching to telescopes with equatorial mounts and computer controlled movements, to take lots of pictures for deepsky stacking.

I have rarely seen any stacked photo of the Milkyway these days, from either Canon, Nikon or Sony ect camera's, that has been as sharp as the single frame shots we get from out camera's, let alone when people start stacking our images as well.

I will say, for me, and ease, I still just use the jpeg directly from my K-1 mostly, using Darkframe Noise reduction, and am always happy with how simple it is to get great pictures, without having to bother with any PP. I think , that's something that puts a lot of people off trying Astro, but, the beauty is, With a Pentax, it's easy as. They really outdid themselves with this feature.
11-14-2019, 03:51 AM   #21
Pentaxian

the Canon EOS Ra has a modified IR filter for higher transmission of 656nm wavelength.
With this version of the KP Google Translate
you could use filters to narrow the band of wavelengths to any region of the broad spectrum between NIR and UV you want.
This UVIR-version also exists for the 645... but might not be sold to private consumers

Last edited by MMVIII; 11-14-2019 at 05:56 AM.
11-14-2019, 11:25 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are 3rd party companies that do the same kind of mods that Canon did, basically allowing better performance in specific wavelengths, or in full spectrum. Including for Pentax cameras. Some of these mods will make visual spectrum performance worse.
Here's one of the most well-known of those companies, and they also have a lot of info on what is involved:
Digital Camera Infrared (IR) Conversions, Modifications and IR Photography :: Spencers Camera

11-14-2019, 12:00 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
the Canon EOS Ra has a modified IR filter for higher transmission of 656nm wavelength.
With this version of the KP Google Translate
you could use filters to narrow the band of wavelengths to any region of the broad spectrum between NIR and UV you want.
This UVIR-version also exists for the 645... but might not be sold to private consumers
Or you could just use the astro tracer function and a red enhancing filter and get great results without the expense of buying another camera.
11-14-2019, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing, I haven't seen this one yet. was a interesting to see they look like they will be making a series based around the subject.

---------- Post added 11-14-19 at 02:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Or you could just use the astro tracer function and a red enhancing filter and get great results without the expense of buying another camera.
A red enhancing filter would not help in this case as the red that HA Nebula's glow at are on the border of the light transmission of the filter placed over the sensor. You can certainly use a ha filter but if the sensor is only seeing 15% of the light it's receiving exposures will be 4x longer and often with more noise. If the sensor is modded to allow the light to reach the sensor at 80-90% pass thru the signal to noise ratio is way way better.
11-14-2019, 03:02 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably several thousand dollars.
11-14-2019, 03:29 PM   #26
Pentaxian

With all that you guys have said. Can the canikon be used as ordinary cameras like Pentax?
11-15-2019, 01:49 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Thanks for sharing!
11-15-2019, 01:53 AM   #28
Pentaxian

a simple DSLR like Pentax
I don't regard Pentax DSLRs as simple. They are advanced DSLRs.
11-15-2019, 05:00 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by troenaas Quote
I don't regard Pentax DSLRs as simple. They are advanced DSLRs.
But as you can see, most olycanikonyfu will tell you that they have the most advanced cameras. Their camera is touch screen, has about 3000 mpx, it can do a woosh and swoosh thing that we guys from Pentax don't know about. In that sense I think Pentax is simple. But I believe your're right. Pentax is an advanced camera that a lot of people don't understand.
11-15-2019, 03:11 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting