Photos: Albums
Yikes: Pentax is doomed
... or so they say for decades

11-12-2019, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
From this list, I can see that from major camera equipment makers, only Voigtlander is also missing.

Interesting that Tetenal is listed. Didn't they go out of business?
Nope, re-organizing ... as I last saw. A large stand on the first floor and the major manufacturers were up on the second floor. I was happy to see them since I used often their B&W materials.

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 11-12-2019 at 11:51 PM. Reason: typo
11-12-2019, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #63
Veteran Member

Pentax is in the SME category with a very thin profit margin. I am not surprised they need to cut into marketing spendings which were already low. Pentax main asset is K mount and maybe (not enough) loyal clients. Complaining about this absence might be equivalent to complaining about Pentax trying to survive in a nosediving market. Despite this depressed context, we are lucky to enjoy very attractive products such as K1, KP and likely upcoming K-new
11-12-2019, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #64
Pentaxian

Original Poster
"It didn't happen if there aren't photos" ... just a small crowd near the Polaroid stand at the Paris Photo Salon/Expo ...

Yes, Polaroid. They were showing tons and tons of new stuff !!!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X-E2  Photo 
11-12-2019, 02:16 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PocketPixels Quote
My fiancée bought a Theta last year, and there was not one thing in the box or packaging that indicated "hey, if you like this, we have a bunch of other photographic offerings."
Since information on the other offerings is so easily found online, wouldn't any printed promotional materials inside the box be redundant?

This is not a brand with a clear, discernible strategy for growth or even continued relevance in a dwindling market.
I'd agree that Ricoh's strategy for the Pentax brand may not be readily apparent to us users, without digging into financial reports, presentations, etc. However, do any camera company's public information provide actual clear and discernible strategies?

Concerning continued relevance, that question has also been raised by others, and there have been some vigorous discussions over the future of the Pentax brand in the shrinking market. From what I've gathered, the question is not resolved -- some say that Ricoh's slow approach may be the right way, while others are concerned there is no modern Pentax mirrorless offerings or a wider lens selection and 'Pentax is Doomed'. All I know is that I can purchase the Pentax gear that I need, and I'm a fairly satisfied user at the moment. As for the future -- I can't predict.

That's no way to celebrate a 100th anniversary, or even a 10th anniversary.
Ricoh's approach does seem to be a bit low key. Their various local celebrations do offer opportunities for some folks, but I'm guessing you're not located near any of these.

And, no, I don't have to post a comprehensive 12-point marketing strategy with supporting PERT and GANTT charts before I can claim dissatisfaction as a loyal consumer with what's already on offer.

To me, overall it seems that you are looking for Pentax gear that Ricoh doesn't produce or doesn't plan to produce. IMO, your post might be bolstered if you could indicate what you are missing in terms of gear.

- Craig
11-12-2019, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

It's completely reasonable for OP to be concerned that Ricoh/Pentax isn't exhibiting at a major trade show. No one trade show is make-or-break. No one "best vacation cameras of 2019" listicle is make-or-break. No one 3rd party vendor is make-or-break.

But come on. Slinging "fake news" epithets and accusing OP of a disconnect from reality is itself unrealistic.
I don't have to agree with some Sigma rep pushing the blame on Pentax (perhaps a knee-jerk reaction to a somewhat accusatory inquiry). It was a business decision, theirs, and they didn't even try supporting the K-1.

I don't have to agree that missing some Paris show while organizing their own events (note the plural) is such a big deal. Ricoh Imaging shows more Pentax marketing activity than I can remember; events worldwide, fan products, website updates... and in terms of products, there's much to be hoped from the APS-C flagship. That's not the Ricoh stopping supporting Pentax described.

The OP's reality is different than what I can see. Should I close my eyes?
11-12-2019, 02:22 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Looks like a very well attended expo! A big crowd.

I wonder how many of the people will purchase Polaroid items in next several months as a result of seeing something at the booth?

11-12-2019, 02:24 PM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
"It didn't happen if there aren't photos" ... just a small crowd near the Polaroid stand at the Paris Photo Salon/Expo ...

If you will look at actual stuff labeled "Polaroid" you will find that they are manufactured and distributed by other companies. The company Polaroid went bankrupt and now the name is used by other companies which have purchased the right to use the name "Polaroid".
11-12-2019, 02:24 PM   #69
Pentaxian

Original Poster
"It didn't happen if there aren't photos" #2 ... a photog presents his work at the Fuji X stand which had the Fuji medium format camera stand next to it.

Say, if I remember correctly, Pentax has a medium format camera to show off, too ... but nope, a missed opportunity.

PS - maybe Pentax was represented since in the background there's the French national chain called "Camara" ... plus the local Parisian B&M store called "Cirque" ... yes, a B&M store had a large stand. Maybe they had a few Pentax camera on display.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X-E2  Photo 
11-12-2019, 02:27 PM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
(...)

And as I recall @Mistral75 mentioned that a Ricoh rep said they were not getting enough return on shows to make it worth while going to them.
Twice actually, including once in this very thread.
11-12-2019, 02:29 PM   #71
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't have to agree with some Sigma rep pushing the blame on Pentax (perhaps a knee-jerk reaction to a somewhat accusatory inquiry). It was a business decision, theirs, and they didn't even try supporting the K-1.

I don't have to agree that missing some Paris show while organizing their own events (note the plural) is such a big deal. Ricoh Imaging shows more Pentax marketing activity than I can remember; events worldwide, fan products, website updates... and in terms of products, there's much to be hoped from the APS-C flagship. That's not the Ricoh stopping supporting Pentax described.

The OP's reality is different than what I can see. Should I close my eyes?
No, no insult(s) at all ...
11-12-2019, 02:29 PM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Twice actually, including once in this very thread.
Perhaps there was a trade-off between attending this one show and organizing their own meet-up plus the numerous events all over France.
11-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #73
Pentaxian

Pentax is like any other rep. They spend money to make money. If they spend the money and don't make it back, then on to the next.

Pentax will have a booth in Toronto later this week, starting tomorrow.

Last time there was show in Toronto I could attend, I bought a piece of Sigma hardware that lasted only a couple of years before it became de-centred and pretty much useless for us. They replaced a few parts for free and never addressed the issue we sent it in for. Thanks for reminding me. 400 bucks for a lens that was functional for two years. That's expensive glass. My DA* cost me $1200 an it's still going at 8 years old. Much more cost effective. Sometimes cheap costs you money.

Last edited by normhead; 11-12-2019 at 06:13 PM.
11-12-2019, 02:38 PM   #74
Pentaxian

(...) My fiancée bought a Theta last year, and there was not one thing in the box or packaging that indicated "hey, if you like this, we have a bunch of other photographic offerings."

(...)
Ricoh Theta cameras are marketed as tools for professionals (e.g. from the real estate sector) and mostly sold via Ricoh webstores and BtoB channels. The Ricoh Theta ecosystem has its own development and marketing teams. This could explain that.

On the other hand, Pentax cameras and the Ricoh GR share the same development teams (plural because there are two camera development teams working in parallel) and the same marketing team (the latter being also responsible for Ricoh WG cameras, the development of which is mostly outsourced to an ODM).
11-12-2019, 02:41 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So basically, Pentax is doomed again?
Closed Thread