Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2019, 10:06 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not good news ...

Just FYI and x-posted ...

I was at the Paris Photo Salon/Expo last Saturday and I stopped by the huge Sigma booth to look at the new full frame "fp".

I told the rep that I was not happy at all that Sigma had stopped supporting Pentax ... to which the rep replied, "We didn't stop supporting Pentax, Pentax stopped supporting themselves."

Then he added, "Where are they?" ... to which he was quite right.

Pentax did NOT have a booth at the annual Paris Photo Salon/Expo.

ZERO. NADA. ... and with 100 years to celebrate as well ... ZILCH.

Who was there? Canon (huge booths), Nikon (huge), Sony (huge), Fuji, Olympus, Leica, Hassy, Tamron, Samyang, Irix, dji, French national camera chains, resellers of lighting/strobe equipment, etc., etc., etc.

NO PENTAX ... sorry to break this news to you, but it's the reality here.

11-12-2019, 10:07 AM - 6 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

If I'm not mistaken, Ricoh Imaging has their own "show" nearby. Mistral should know more.
And a Sigma rep had to say something to push the blame on someone else.

Fake news, fake reality - as always in such cases.
11-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
"We didn't stop supporting Pentax, Pentax stopped supporting themselves."

My thoughts: and then
11-12-2019, 10:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sigma stink! I hate their full frame camera

*I won't mention lusting after an art lens because that isn't in keeping with the tone of my post

Sigma are rubbish

11-12-2019, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote

If Pentax themselves withdrew participation in third party support, it would explain why multiple third party brands terminated support so close together. Sigma and LensBaby come to mind this year alone, when did Tamron withdraw? It wasn't that long ago was it?
11-12-2019, 10:17 AM   #6
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, just confused
11-12-2019, 10:21 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaPrime Quote
If Pentax themselves withdrew participation in third party support, it would explain why multiple third party brands terminated support so close together. Sigma and LensBaby come to mind this year alone, when did Tamron withdraw? It wasn't that long ago was it?
I don't think Pentax ever supported any third party directly.

As for Tamron, they have a partnership with Pentax so that certain Tamron lenses can be modified to bear the Pentax name.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-12-2019, 10:21 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just FYI and x-posted ...

I was at the Paris Photo Salon/Expo last Saturday and I stopped by the huge Sigma booth to look at the new full frame "fp".

I told the rep that I was not happy at all that Sigma had stopped supporting Pentax ... to which the rep replied, "We didn't stop supporting Pentax, Pentax stopped supporting themselves."

Pentax did NOT have a booth at the annual Paris Photo Salon/Expo.

ZERO. NADA. ... and with 100 years to celebrate as well ... ZILCH.

Who was there? Canon (huge booths), Nikon (huge), Sony (huge), Fuji, Olympus, Leica, Hassy, Tamron, Samyang, Irix, dji, French national camera chains, resellers of lighting/strobe equipment, etc., etc., etc.

NO PENTAX ... sorry to break this news to you, but it's the reality here.
Sigma wasn't making enough money to justify development of new lenses. Simple as that. Pentax may actually prefer it this way.
11-12-2019, 10:22 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If I'm not mistaken, Ricoh Imaging has their own "show" nearby. Mistral should know more.

Not fake news. How can you write that? I was at there ... and Pentax was NOT there. Period.

Yes, Pentax had some special night-time events in a small artist workplace area at the same time as the Paris Photo Salon ... cute, but it NOT a stand at the largest photo salon of France.

Not fake news. More like a disaster IMHO.
11-12-2019, 10:26 AM - 4 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Go ask Mistral if Pentax was at the Paris Photo Salon ... I know what his answer will be.

Who was there :

CANON
NIKON
SONY
FUJI
OLYMPUS
LEICA
LUMIX - Panasonic
HASSY
TAMRON
SAMYANG
dji
... etc.

NO PENTAX.

Better off "celebrating 100 years" in a small venue as opposed to the largest photo salon/expo in France.

I'm a big Pentax fan, but this was utterly unacceptable for me.

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 11-12-2019 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Forgot Lumix/Panasonic - large booths
11-12-2019, 10:28 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaPrime Quote
There was no Pentax participation in third party support, regarding Sigma: Sigma used reverse engineering on Pentax products.
There is no "multiple third party brands terminated support so close together". Get the history right.

---------- Post added 12-11-19 at 07:30 PM ----------

Not fake news. How can you write that? I was at there ... and Pentax was NOT there. Period.

Yes, Pentax had some special night-time events in a small artist workplace area at the same time as the Paris Photo Salon ... cute, but it NOT a stand at the largest photo salon of France.

Not fake news. More like a disaster IMHO.
Best fake news are built around a small, tiny piece of truth.
11-12-2019, 10:32 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There was no Pentax participation in third party support, regarding Sigma: Sigma used reverse engineering on Pentax products.
There is no "multiple third party brands terminated support so close together". Get the history right.

---------- Post added 12-11-19 at 07:30 PM ----------

Best fake news are built around a small, tiny piece of truth.
What was fake about my news?
11-12-2019, 10:33 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

...disaster...
That's a huge exaggeration. Trade shows are becoming increasingly irrelevant. Sony, arguably the most healthy large camera company, recently skipped a big show in New York City. Many other past exhibitors, including Pentax/Ricoh, also skipped the show. The show is only around 67% of its former size, and likely to keep shrinking.

The internet lets companies distribute product information faster, cheaper, and with wider reach than running around to trade shows. It's the case for most trade shows, not just photography.
11-12-2019, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

The op does have a point, Pentax isn't all that present at big expos.

I think that's fine with at least some of their customers. I for one would love to attend a local fan event similar to what they've done in Japan and Europe, but I'd never consider buying a ticket for one of these expos. Plus as a brand you get much cooler social media presence with fan events and photo walks, as opposed to awkward noisy recordings from expos that all end up looking the same.

Last edited by aaacb; 11-12-2019 at 10:46 AM.
11-12-2019, 10:34 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Was Panasonic present at the show?
Closed Thread