Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 149 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2019, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
What was fake about my news?
Your claim that PentaxIsDoomed, obviously!

11-12-2019, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Was Panasonic present at the show?
Yes ... Lumix had a huge stand (two parts) as well.
11-12-2019, 10:38 AM - 3 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Don’t care about Sigma, but it is correct that Pentax is absent.
11-12-2019, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is there any point in Pentax spending money on a pitch at a camera event when they have nothing new? OK, they have one lens and the KP-J which is a custom version of a 2yo camera. And had they shown up, how would they compete with canikon and their mirrorless, Fuji and their weird screen, Sony and this weeks new release, sigma and their new lenses, etc. etc. etc. I am quite happy for Pentax to quietly tick over, and when they have something new, then blow the advertising budget

11-12-2019, 10:39 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Your claim that PentaxIsDoomed, obviously!
No.

I did not claim that " PentaxIsDoomed " ... I disappointed that they did not show up.

Like I wrote ... this is not good news.
11-12-2019, 10:41 AM - 3 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

Well, seeing Ricoh as the only camera manufacturer absent at the biggest photo fair in France is quite sad, actually. A prestige hit, surely.
11-12-2019, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

What was fake about my news?
I am sure that no personal insult was meant by the comment. Standards for polite discussion vary in some parts of the world and sometimes nuance (even if present or intended) is sometimes lost in the translation.

Steve

11-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Yet they had a get together, and from what I understand it was very nice - beyond what they could organize in a "standard" show and a corresponding smallish stand, most likely at a much smaller cost.
Why are you so upset they did the smart thing?
After seeing what is happening with Photokina, traditional photo fairs should be left to die.

By the way:
Info from the Pentax Meeting 100 events - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com
11-12-2019, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Lensbaby didn't need any support or cooperation with Pentax as their lenses are dumb (no electronics). They only needed to add a dumb mount. But my guess is that so few pentaxians bought Lensbaby lenses that it didn't make economic sense for Lensbaby.
11-12-2019, 10:47 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am sure that no personal insult was meant by the comment. Standards for polite discussion vary in some parts of the world and sometimes nuance (even if present or intended) is sometimes lost in the translation.

Steve
Point well taken.

But read the next post after yours ...
11-12-2019, 10:49 AM - 4 Likes   #26
Veteran Member

The correct response to the Sigma rep should have been, "So you can't afford to do your reverse engineering on the newer KAF 3 and 4 lenses from Pentax? Since you couldn't get your 18-35 right." I see no reason for Pentax to go to this show until the K-new is ready for prime time. In the industry I am working in now, there are dozens of trade shows we could attend, but it would cost us thousands in expenses other than just the booth rental, sending at least two people, shipping of the booth contents, salaries during decisions on what to take, set up the booth, etc. These employees are also not doing their normal jobs while traveling to shows, while resulting sales have dropped from when trade shows were a primary source of customer prospecting. So, a company has to choose their spending carefully when properly targeted on line ads are generally more cost effective. (Just try to convince a luddite boss of this!)
11-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Point well taken.

But read the next post after yours ...
There's no insult there, either.
11-12-2019, 10:52 AM   #28
Pentaxian

OK, time to wake up and go shooting / buy online
11-12-2019, 10:52 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yet they had a get together, and from what I understand it was very nice - beyond what they could organize in a "standard" show and a corresponding smallish stand, most likely at a much smaller cost.
Why are you so upset they did the smart thing?
After seeing what is happening with Photokina, traditional photo fairs should be left to die.

By the way:
Info from the Pentax Meeting 100 events - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com
Two points :

(1.) I am not "so upset", just disappointed and passing the news along ... don't shoot the messenger.

(2.) The Paris Photo Salon/Expo was wall-to-wall people on Saturday (and Friday, too ... because I talked to a friend at a specialized film booth) ...
11-12-2019, 10:55 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There's no insult there, either.
... " so upset " ... your words.
Closed Thread