Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2019, 12:42 PM - 4 Likes   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I told the rep that I was not happy at all that Sigma had stopped supporting Pentax ... to which the rep replied, "We didn't stop supporting Pentax, Pentax stopped supporting themselves."
Sounds like you opened the conversation with an accusation, thus prompting a defensive reply in return. Not gonna get Sigma's love for
Pentax that way. On the other hand, if you opened with a smile, with a Sigma Art lens mounted to your Pentax strapped around your
neck and said, "This is a great combo, sure hope to see K-mount support again in the future. You know you have a lot of fans among the
Pentax crowd", I'll bet his response would have been less acrid.

11-12-2019, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Again, shoot the messenger ...
You have had your say.
Disagreeing with parts of it is a long way from "shooting".
11-12-2019, 12:48 PM - 2 Likes   #48
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just FYI ... here's the list of the manufacturers that were at the Paris Photo Salon/Expo ... scanned from the brochure that I brought home.
Attached Images

11-12-2019, 12:59 PM - 3 Likes   #49
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Sounds like you opened the conversation with an accusation, thus prompting a defensive reply in return. Not gonna get Sigma's love for
Pentax that way. On the other hand, if you opened with a smile, with a Sigma Art lens mounted to your Pentax strapped around your
neck and said, "This is a great combo, sure hope to see K-mount support again in the future. You know you have a lot of fans among the
Pentax crowd", I'll bet his response would have been less acrid.
Nope, I stated the truth of my opinion on the subject during a long conversation about full frame equipment when I was looking at the new Sigma "fp" ... I said that I was not happy with their decision concerning Pentax.

The Sigma rep's response was pretty aggressive as a come-back ... but, that's just being "French".

Trust me, I have been here for 25+ years now. Happens daily, and more so in Paris than Poitiers.

11-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #50
Pentaxian

OK, and ?
11-12-2019, 01:03 PM - 2 Likes   #51
Veteran Member

Just FYI ... here's the list of the manufacturers that were at the Paris Photo Salon/Expo ... scanned from the brochure that I brought home.
As others have pointed out, attendance at these trade shows has been dwindling for some time. Looking at the other side of the coin,
Ricoh might be applauded for seeing the writing on the wall earlier than its competitors. Remember Ricoh were one of the first
companies to (mostly) eliminate its production of compact cameras in recognition that that market was lost.
11-12-2019, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

Too bad there's no Automobile international show in Poitiers ; you might have noticed something.

11-12-2019, 01:17 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Ricoh has decided for this iteration to host a series of events all over the world - for example, at roughly the same time you posted this news, we are hearing of two local events in U.K. I don't know which is more effective - although I do know that I personally went to a "Z" Nikon event here in town, and would have never braved the crowds to attend an event in Chicago, roughly 100 miles from here.
11-12-2019, 01:18 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Too bad there's no Automobile international show in Poitiers ; you might have noticed something.
Whatever ...
11-12-2019, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I wasn't exhibiting myself in Paris. Does that mean I'm doomed?
11-12-2019, 01:32 PM - 2 Likes   #56
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Yeah ... maybe I might notice something if that were to happen here.

But while at the Paris Photo Salon/Expo, I noticed ...

3 Legged Thing
B+W
Benel
Cokin
Eizo
Godox
Hoya
Ilford
Joby
Kenko
Kodak
Laowa
Lowepro
Manfrotto
Metz
Nissin
Novoflex
Optics 7artisans
Peak Design
Phase One
Priolite
Slik
Starblitz
Tetenal
Tokina
Vanguard
Zeiss

... but no Pentax.

Glad I went.
11-12-2019, 01:32 PM   #57

It seems to me that Ricoh's strategy has been to have separate events for the 100 Years of Pentax. If Ricoh has had a presence at any of the shows this year either Pentax is not presented at all or plays an insignificant role. Look at the recent Adobe event in Los Angeles and show in Germany as reported on in other threads.

Case in point:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/397128-pentax-even...rshire-uk.html

And as I recall @Mistral75 mentioned that a Ricoh rep said they were not getting enough return on shows to make it worth while going to them.
11-12-2019, 01:49 PM - 4 Likes   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's completely reasonable for OP to be concerned that Ricoh/Pentax isn't exhibiting at a major trade show. No one trade show is make-or-break. No one "best vacation cameras of 2019" listicle is make-or-break. No one 3rd party vendor is make-or-break.

But come on. Slinging "fake news" epithets and accusing OP of a disconnect from reality is itself unrealistic.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
If I'm not mistaken, Ricoh Imaging has their own "show" nearby. Mistral should know more.
And a Sigma rep had to say something to push the blame on someone else.

Fake news, fake reality - as always in such cases.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Best fake news are built around a small, tiny piece of truth.
Sigma did discontinue support of K-mount this year. Facts are facts. I can't remember the last time the guys at B&H Podcast did an episode that mentioned Pentax/Ricoh, let alone an episode that featured the company's listings or interviewed a company rep in any meaningful way. Only one of the five (six?) listicles on dpreview right now mentions a Ricoh or Pentax offering. My fiancée bought a Theta last year, and there was not one thing in the box or packaging that indicated "hey, if you like this, we have a bunch of other photographic offerings."

This is not a brand with a clear, discernible strategy for growth or even continued relevance in a dwindling market. Yes, Ricoh Japan's Pentax site has some good content (I don't know Japanese, but the visuals look cool). The Instagram contest was okay. Yes, the shirts and caps are a nice touch. And I guess some of us love the metal hot shoe cover. But come on. That's no way to celebrate a 100th anniversary, or even a 10th anniversary.

And, no, I don't have to post a comprehensive 12-point marketing strategy with supporting PERT and GANTT charts before I can claim dissatisfaction as a loyal consumer with what's already on offer.

You can hurl "fake news" at the OP all you like, but please hurl some URLs with some encouraging news while you're at it. I'd love to be wrong.
11-12-2019, 01:51 PM   #59
Pentaxian

From this list, I can see that from major camera equipment makers, only Voigtlander is also missing.

Interesting that Tetenal is listed. Didn't they go out of business?
11-12-2019, 01:57 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PocketPixels Quote
This is not a brand with a clear, discernible strategy for growth or even continued relevance in a dwindling market.
With the exception of the Theta, each of the recent releases from the manufacturer has featured the 'accelerator' with its graceful high ISO performance.
You don't think the brands and "Pentax" and "Ricoh" have a discernible strategy???

added: they are more engineers than marketers - I like that about them.
Closed Thread