Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 149 Likes Search this Thread
11-13-2019, 12:10 AM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Some of my favorite "pentax" lenses are Sigma. So I have mixed feelings too
At least the existing ones can't be unmade so maybe one day. It is a shame though that their numbers will inevitably dwindle

11-13-2019, 12:13 AM - 1 Like   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sorry, but really I don't know why this is Pentax news/rumours?

No new info.

Other than someone being sad to not have Pentax where they were not going to be anyway.
11-13-2019, 12:35 AM   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I'm sorry, but really I don't know why this is Pentax news/rumours?

No new info.

Other than someone being sad to not have Pentax where they were not going to be anyway.
I think it started as nearly news then devolved lol
11-13-2019, 01:21 AM - 2 Likes   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are two things that businesses need to manage here, aren't there? One is finances, and the other is perceptions. What can make good short term financial sense can send the wrong signals. In a world where more and more people say they didn't know you still existed and YouTube 'influencers' routinely ignore your existence and ever fewer bricks and mortar shops stock your products, it's possible to reach a tipping point where you have no customers. The company I used to work for (admittedly in pre-internet days) felt it had to attend trade shows even where it made a loss because a) customers would find other sources to buy from if you weren't there - and quite likely stay with them, producing a sort of death spiral, and b) the rumour mill quickly decided that you were out of business or at least in trouble if you didn't show. Not wanting to speak for him, but that's how I understood the OPs comments. We all know Pentax make some great products, but others need to also, and saving costs can be a false economy if you sacrifice future sales by doing so.

Last edited by ffking; 11-13-2019 at 04:36 AM. Reason: multiple typos :)
11-13-2019, 02:12 AM   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaPrime Quote
I don't work for Ricoh/Pentax, I'm just going by what gets reported in photography outlets. Out of curiosity, what is the source on this claim that Pentax does not directly support third party?
The claim was broader than I intended, I meant regarding Sigma.
11-13-2019, 02:15 AM   #111
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
There are two things that businesses need to manage here, aren't there? One is finances, and the other is perceptions.What can make good short term financial sense can send the wrong signals. In a world where more and more people say they didn't know you still existed and YouTube 'influencers' routinely ignore your existence and ever fewer bricks and mortar shops stock your products, it's possible to reach a tipping point where you have no customers. The company I used to work for (admittedly in pre-internet days) felt it had to attend trade shows even here it made a loss because a) customers would find other sources to buy from if you weren't there - and quite likely stay withthem, producing a sort of death spiral, and b) the rumour mill quickly decided that you were outof business or at leastin trouble if you didn't show. Not wanting to speak for him, but that's how I understood the OPs comments. We all know Pwntax make some great products, but others need to also, and saving costs can be a flase economy.if you sacrifice future sales by doing so.
Thank you for your comments. Well said. Short-term cost reductions which can lead to mid-term and/or long-term sales losses, lost market share and lost prestige appearance.

In my opinion, it is "not good news" (my title) that Pentax has decided to remove itself from public view at an important event ... especially when there's a company milestone to be touted.

Obviously people can politely disagree about these points, but it's certainly not fake news nor living in an alternative reality.
11-13-2019, 02:21 AM   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Billy Joe Quote
Is that not essentially the Pentax Story... The name has be sold to anyone who wanted to pilfer the profitable sections of the company... And they kept the Pentax name alive for the camera division.
The Pentax Story told by whom?
There are exactly 3 points to note, on this subject:
- two companies attempting to use the Pentax brand for cameras, Asahi Optical was first (Mistral might confirm or correct me, if I'm not mistaken it was him posting a detailed account on this story)
- Hoya's hostile takeover on Pentax Corporation
- Hoya selling Pentax Imaging Systems to Ricoh.

So... fake story?

11-13-2019, 02:37 AM - 1 Like   #113
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The Pentax Story told by whom?
There are exactly 3 points to note, on this subject:
- two companies attempting to use the Pentax brand for cameras, Asahi Optical was first (Mistral might confirm or correct me, if I'm not mistaken it was him posting a detailed account on this story)
- Hoya's hostile takeover on Pentax Corporation
- Hoya selling Pentax Imaging Systems to Ricoh.

So... fake story?
Whatever ... the original subject was the Paris Photo Salon/Expo.

Nothing in your post above has anything to do with Pentax's no-show at this event.

Nothing.
11-13-2019, 02:47 AM - 2 Likes   #114
Pentaxian

Original Poster
To be constructive and show the other side of the debate, here is an ad for the 100 year celebration at Pentax (France).

This was scanned from the major French photo magazine, "Chasseur d'Images", and it was the back page of the front cover in the October 2019 issue.

I also saw similar in other French photo press magazines and I will try to relay that info later if possible.
Attached Images

11-13-2019, 02:51 AM - 3 Likes   #115
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do wonder how many people (if any) arrived at that expo and thought: "Dang. No Pentax. That's it - I'll not buy Pentax ever again."
I suspect not very many. Not because no-one buys Pentax, but because I don't know anyone who makes purchasing decisions based purely on what they see at expos.
11-13-2019, 03:02 AM   #116
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
There are two things that businesses need to manage here, aren't there? One is finances, and the other is perceptions.What can make good short term financial sense can send the wrong signals. In a world where more and more people say they didn't know you still existed and YouTube 'influencers' routinely ignore your existence and ever fewer bricks and mortar shops stock your products, it's possible to reach a tipping point where you have no customers. The company I used to work for (admittedly in pre-internet days) felt it had to attend trade shows even here it made a loss because a) customers would find other sources to buy from if you weren't there - and quite likely stay withthem, producing a sort of death spiral, and b) the rumour mill quickly decided that you were outof business or at leastin trouble if you didn't show. Not wanting to speak for him, but that's how I understood the OPs comments. We all know Pwntax make some great products, but others need to also, and saving costs can be a flase economy.if you sacrifice future sales by doing so.
Agree. In this case Pentax decided to not attend this specific show and instead make an alternative appearance. That's all I see here.

The reason behind that? I don't know. From my own experience I would assume it comes down to limited resources (mainly manpower) to do both at the same time at the same place. (Even a small booth is a LOT of work.)

Would I be disappointed if I visited the show and Pentax wouldn't be there? Sure! Would I call it a disaster? No. Tbh, I find the alternative events much more exciting. I'd rather attend or follow one of those than seeing their booth. But that's just my personal perception.

These days trade shows aren't as important as they were many years back. Today the majority happens 24/7 online and by word of mouth. That doesn't mean trade shows are meaningless, not at all, its a good opportunity to communicate the brand in person, but skipping shows doesn't communicate the death of a company. It happens in other industries as well. IIRC at the last IAA (formally the largest show in the Car industry) some car manufacturers did not bother to come as they did not see the benefit from attending.
11-13-2019, 03:04 AM   #117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
No - the "Pentax" brand has been sold, but only twice now. The medical brand and the camera brand are now owned by separate companies, but only Hoya and Ricoh use the name, and only Ricoh uses it for photography per see. That is a complete different process than what was done to poor old Polaroid after their bankruptcy.
There are actually at least five companies that use the Pentax brand in their respective field(s):

1. Ricoh for photographic equipment and binoculars
2. Hoya for medical products (Pentax Medical)
3. Pentax Industries Spa, an Italian company, for hydraulic pumps
4. Diewe - Diamantwerkzeuge GmbH, a German company, for abrasive tools
5. SPX Flow, a US company, for mixing, kneading and attritioning machines and sifters.

The first two obviously emanate from Asahi Optical: Asahi Optical (renamed Pentax in 2002) ==> Hoya (sale and merger; that was the one and only sale of the Asahi-trademarked Pentax brand) ==> Ricoh (licence agreement). I don't know for the other three.
11-13-2019, 03:08 AM   #118
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
To be constructive and show the other side of the debate, here is an ad for the 100 year celebration at Pentax (France).

This was scanned from the major French photo magazine, "Chasseur d'Images", and it was the back page of the front cover in the October 2019 issue.

I also saw similar in other French photo press magazines and I will try to relay that info later if possible.
Nice! I like this kind of advertising. I wish there was more of that.
11-13-2019, 03:15 AM   #119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
But that's just the point; it's not really a competition.

Pentax needs to remain profitable. Spending heaps of money in a futile attempt to be the biggest can get in the way of that.
Exactly. As already written, Smart Vision / Ricoh Imaging have only one directive from Ricoh: turn in an operating profit. Within this strict limit, they do more or less what they want (within reason, of course). When times are hard, as they were until last year, they have to cut on R&D and marketing expenditures to conform with their instruction. When times are more favourable (e.g. since the GR III came out) they use the additional flexibility to spend a bit more on R&D and marketing.
11-13-2019, 03:27 AM   #120
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Nice! I like this kind of advertising. I wish there was more of that.

Yes, I would agree 100% ... and I wish that there was more Pentax advertising, too.
Closed Thread