Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
12-15-2019, 08:57 PM   #91
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CliveT Quote
So frustrated at the responses that I went out and bought a Sony a7r4 last week.
Enjoy your new camera Clive.

12-15-2019, 08:58 PM   #92
Pentaxian

So frustrated at the responses that I went out and bought a Sony a7r4 last week.
So, you spent something like $3500 of your own money in past three days without ever bothering to tell us what "NR issue" you think exists, and finding out what we have observed.

Last edited by reh321; 12-15-2019 at 09:19 PM.
12-15-2019, 09:33 PM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems suspiciously troll-like.
12-15-2019, 10:53 PM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
Seems suspiciously troll-like.

Yep, not worth feeding.

12-15-2019, 11:03 PM - 1 Like   #95
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Knock yourself out.

Meanwhile, I'll keep enjoying my DFA150-450 on my "AF sucks" Pentax bodies

12-16-2019, 12:21 AM - 3 Likes   #96
Pentaxian

I wish I could spend three and a half grand on gear anytime I got frustrated after reading something on the Internet.
12-16-2019, 12:44 AM   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
I wish I could spend three and a half grand on gear anytime I got frustrated after reading something on the Internet.
Me too! And I also wish I had the money to ask frustation provoking questions on a monthly basis!

12-16-2019, 12:44 AM - 1 Like   #98
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

You must have been frustrated indeed. But I applaud your decisiveness.

From the accounts I've read, the A7R4 is an excellent camera. I know AF is a bug-bear for you, so be aware that one of the reported "issues" with the A7R4 is inconsistent AF performance in certain situations (especially moving subjects), presumably made more obvious due to the increased sensor resolution. It seems, however, this can be largely overcome through settings and technique - which, frankly, is the case with most cameras. I mention this because no camera is perfect (even a $3,500 one) and I wouldn't want you to become frustrated with AF a second time.

Enjoy your A7R4 - it's a fine camera, for sure

And now... back to the thread topic...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-16-2019 at 01:22 AM.
12-16-2019, 01:10 AM - 2 Likes   #99
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Knock yourself out.

Something that might confirm what your saying....
12-16-2019, 02:35 AM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Knock yourself out.

Here's another one....
12-16-2019, 02:41 AM   #101
Pentaxian

If anyone is gullible enough to believe the worst presenter on YT????1
12-16-2019, 04:47 AM   #102

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I understood that the AF on the K1 and K1ii was very good, so I'm curious what the issues are. I use a K3 for the extra reach on my telephoto lenses, but I can report that the DFA 150-450 is an excellent lens, and there's plenty of photos on the Pentax Forums to attest to this.
Sluggish and unable to keep up with fast moving subjects - absolutely useless for wildlife photography - about to get shot down by all the avid pentax wildlife photographers but my wife uses and a7 and an a9 and not sure how you better those two cameras. The a7r4 has all of that plus 61mp. Went to the 100 year event to be convinced not to buy a Sony.

---------- Post added 12-16-19 at 05:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So, you spent something like $3500 of your own money in past three days without ever bothering to tell us what "NR issue" you think exists, and finding out what we have observed.
Sorry but I own a K1 and a K1ii so I know the difference in their in abilities. The K1 ii is an improvement but it is still way behind the focusing ability of my Nikon D3 for tracking images. Yes I know that there is a significant difference in cost at the time of purchase but the duration in time should have allowed Pentax to catch up. The k1 ii is other worldly behind the Sony for eye tracking humans or animals. Pentax have focused on landscape and astro etc which is great and the K1 and K1 ii excel in this area particularly the K1 ii which has a better execution of pixel shift than the Sony for landscape in pixelshift mode or any other camera for astro. Pentax has a lot to offer and may be the last DSLR manufacturer in the world but that may not save them - they need to be able to offer a significant advantage in staying with the k mount and DSLR. Having carried 18 kilos of Pentax camera gear for the last couple of years (since buying the K1 bodies) every time I travel overseas I think I can speak from experience. I love Pentax having owed a Pentax Spotmatic F, MX, LX, K1 and K1ii plus a full set of full frame Pentax lenses.
12-16-2019, 05:19 AM   #103
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Sluggish and unable to keep up with fast moving subjects - absolutely useless for wildlife photography - about to get shot down by all the avid pentax wildlife photographers but my wife uses and a7 and an a9 and not sure how you better those two cameras. The a7r4 has all of that plus 61mp. Went to the 100 year event to be convinced not to buy a Sony.
The K-1 and K-1II certainly aren't useless for wildlife photography, as the many photos on this site prove - but they aren't the best for fast moving AF tracking, it's true. Seems like you've moved to a system that's more appropriate for what you want to shoot - plus, you and your wife can share lenses. That sounds like an excellent arrangement to me

There are some good Sony forums around - not least of which, those at Fred Miranda. You'll find a welcoming and helpful bunch there.

Good luck with the new camera - I'm sure it will serve you well
12-16-2019, 05:30 AM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I personaly prefer to spend such an amount on glass rather than body...
12-16-2019, 05:44 AM   #105

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The K-1 and K-1II certainly aren't useless for wildlife photography, as the many photos on this site prove - but they aren't the best for fast moving AF tracking, it's true. Seems like you've moved to a system that's more appropriate for what you want to shoot - plus, you and your wife can share lenses. That sounds like an excellent arrangement to me

There are some good Sony forums around - not least of which, those at Fred Miranda. You'll find a welcoming and helpful bunch there.

Good luck with the new camera - I'm sure it will serve you well
Not that simple we both shoot the same content at the same time so unfortunately need to duplicate all lenses which we are currently doing starting with the G master 100 - 400 and the 24 - 70mm - this whole thing started off with me contacting CR Kennedy to purchase the 150-450mm last week - that is how committed I was until Pentax could only give me vague answers as to the upgrade path of the camera or the firmware.