Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2019, 05:51 AM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CliveT Quote
Not that simple we both shoot the same content at the same time so unfortunately need to duplicate all lenses which we are currently doing starting with the G master 100 - 400 and the 24 - 70mm - this whole thing started off with me contacting CR Kennedy to purchase the 150-450mm last week - that is how committed I was until Pentax could only give me vague answers as to the upgrade path of the camera or the firmware.
I’m glad you got precise answers from Sony before you spent your $3500.

12-16-2019, 05:56 AM   #107

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
I personaly prefer to spend such an amount on glass rather than body...
Not when you have G master lenses and 61mp = whole new level of detail. With 61 megapixels in standard mode I am not to concerned. Yet to try this in pixel shift mode. Interested to see how hard it is to process 2 gigabyte files.
12-16-2019, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #108
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Sluggish and unable to keep up with fast moving subjects - absolutely useless for wildlife photography - about to get shot down by all the avid pentax wildlife photographers but my wife uses and a7 and an a9 and not sure how you better those two cameras. The a7r4 has all of that plus 61mp. Went to the 100 year event to be convinced not to buy a Sony.
I've been very happy with the combination of the DFA 150-450 and the K3. I would take a lot of convincing to buy a Sony if I was going to another brand, but if it works for you, great!
12-16-2019, 06:01 AM   #109
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Not that simple we both shoot the same content at the same time so unfortunately need to duplicate all lenses which we are currently doing starting with the G master 100 - 400 and the 24 - 70mm - this whole thing started off with me contacting CR Kennedy to purchase the 150-450mm last week - that is how committed I was until Pentax could only give me vague answers as to the upgrade path of the camera or the firmware.
Well, you can put your frustration behind you, now. As I said in an earlier post, I applaud your decisiveness - it does no good allowing dissatisfaction to fester. Now you're committed to Sony, you can get on with enjoying the A7R4.

---

Folks - let's please bring this thread back to Pentax talk rather than Sony (we have a non-Pentax forum for that)

12-16-2019, 06:26 AM   #110
Pentaxian

Sluggish and unable to keep up with fast moving subjects - absolutely useless for wildlife photography - about to get shot down by all the avid pentax wildlife photographers but my wife uses and a7 and an a9 and not sure how you better those two cameras. The a7r4 has all of that plus 61mp. Went to the 100 year event to be convinced not to buy a Sony.

Sorry but I own a K1 and a K1ii so I know the difference in their in abilities. The K1 ii is an improvement but it is still way behind the focusing ability of my Nikon D3 for tracking images. Yes I know that there is a significant difference in cost at the time of purchase but the duration in time should have allowed Pentax to catch up. The k1 ii is other worldly behind the Sony for eye tracking humans or animals. Pentax have focused on landscape and astro etc which is great and the K1 and K1 ii excel in this area particularly the K1 ii which has a better execution of pixel shift than the Sony for landscape in pixelshift mode or any other camera for astro. Pentax has a lot to offer and may be the last DSLR manufacturer in the world but that may not save them - they need to be able to offer a significant advantage in staying with the k mount and DSLR. Having carried 18 kilos of Pentax camera gear for the last couple of years (since buying the K1 bodies) every time I travel overseas I think I can speak from experience. I love Pentax having owed a Pentax Spotmatic F, MX, LX, K1 and K1ii plus a full set of full frame Pentax lenses.
Sorry, I didn't ask about autofocus. Of course the $3500 $3200 Sony body does better at AF than the $1700 Pentax does; even at their very best, Pentax does not claim world class AF. I asked twice about the "NR issue", which you have steadfastly ignored.

Last edited by reh321; 12-16-2019 at 03:53 PM. Reason: reduced price in reaction to email today from Roberts - see other manufacturers section
12-16-2019, 12:35 PM - 2 Likes   #111
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

..... that is how committed I was until Pentax could only give me vague answers as to the upgrade path of the camera or the firmware.
So, other manufacturers gave you clear and detailed information about their future plans for cameras and firmware updates?
12-16-2019, 03:42 PM   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Folks - let's please bring this thread back to Pentax talk rather than Sony (we have a non-Pentax forum for that)
OK, but apparently at least one US vendor has some reason to lower the price of the Sony camera already
I Get Email - PentaxForums.com

12-16-2019, 03:47 PM   #113
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Sorry, I didn't ask about autofocus. Of course the $3500 Sony body does better at AF than the $1700 Pentax does; even at their very best, Pentax does not claim world class AF. I asked twice about the "NR issue", which you have steadfastly ignored.
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
So, other manufacturers gave you clear and detailed information about their future plans for cameras and firmware updates?
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
OK, but apparently at least one US vendor has some reason to lower the price of this camera already
I Get Email - PentaxForums.com
Come on, guys... Not for nuthin', right?

Let's move on now. Thanks.
12-16-2019, 04:06 PM - 3 Likes   #114
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not when you have G master lenses and 61mp = whole new level of detail. With 61 megapixels in standard mode I am not to concerned. Yet to try this in pixel shift mode. Interested to see how hard it is to process 2 gigabyte files.
I'd suggest you start your own thread here: Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. - PentaxForums.com