Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2019, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #196
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Ricoh released one camera in the past several years (not counting the K1 mkII because simply being another version of the K1 ), and it is a mirrorless camera and it is selling exceptionally well, beyond expectation...
I don't think mirrorless ILCs and super compact fixed focal length cameras should be thrown into one "mirrorless" bag.

I'm sure the appeal of the Ricoh GR III has everything to do with its size, ergonomics, and intended usage scenarios, but nothing with the fact that it's "mirrorless" per se.

One cannot replicate the attributes that make the GR III attractive simply by creating a mirrorless version of say a KP.

If Ricoh want to replicate the GR III success, they ought to make sure that they are ticking the right boxes; just ticking a "mirrorless"-box won't do it, on the contrary, AFAIC.

I'd say Ricoh rather got thinking about MILCs based on the recent financial pendulum swing towards MILCs in the ILC market.

11-26-2019, 12:24 AM   #197
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The rumour you started here on PentaxForums (...)
Except that I didn't start it:

Ricoh booth at CP+ - Page 17 - PentaxForums.com

(I have to link to a quote of the original post because it was deleted when the whole think got traction.)
11-26-2019, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #198
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
the 'accelerator' created more difference between the K-1ii and K-1 than there was between the K-3ii and K-3, or even between the K-3 and the variant of K-5 that came before it
I've entertained the thought, on no grounds other than pure supposition, that the accelerator might be something comparable to the 'flucard' - a stopgap technology whie a more modern processing engine was developed (as compared to a stopgap wi-fi solution) - but just a thought,as I say.
11-26-2019, 12:59 AM - 2 Likes   #199
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
At some future point the Pentax brand identity may have been so badly damaged by the likes of DPReview and Amateur Photographer that it has no net positive value
It's strange - Ammateur Photographer used to be very supportive of Pentax back in the day - even up to the K-1 - perhaps it's nothing more than the odd individual.

I still think Ricoh should put an end to all this stuff about naming rights by a takeover of Hoya, putting Pentax back together and a bit of gratuitous asset stripping to complete the deal

11-26-2019, 03:02 AM - 1 Like   #200
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Except that I didn't start it:

Ricoh booth at CP+ - Page 17 - PentaxForums.com

(I have to link to a quote of the original post because it was deleted when the whole think got traction.)
OK. Well, you've certainly refused to let it die.
11-26-2019, 03:12 AM - 1 Like   #201
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There is an odd statement in Philippe Farreng's interview, which I didn't translate previously and which made me do some research. Here it is:
QuoteOriginally posted by Philippe Farreng, Ricoh Imaging:
Pentax a été créé en 1919 mais Ricoh, qui nous a racheté, a été créé en 1936 – et eux aussi s’appelaient Asahi Optical au départ. Ricoh nous a cédé le droit d’utiliser le nom Asahi Optical et, plus tard, Pentax a cédé le droit à Ricoh d’utiliser la monture K lorsque la marque a voulu lancer son premier boîtier reflex.
Translation:

'Pentax was created in 1919 but Ricoh, which bought us out, was created in 1936 - and they too were originally called Asahi Optical. Ricoh gave us the right to use the Asahi Optical name and later Pentax gave Ricoh the right to use the K-mount when the brand [i.e. Ricoh] wanted to launch its first SLR camera.'

Philippe Farreng is partly right with these two Asahi Optical companies, but not entirely. Here is the corresponding story.
  1. 'Our' Asahi Optical was founded on the 27th of November, 1919, as Asahi Kōgaku Kōgyō Goshi-gaisha = Optical Industry of the Rising Sun (usually translated as Asahi Optical) LLP. In 1938 the Goshi-gaisha became a Kabushiki-gaisha (corporation) and a public company. Asahi Optical was renamed Pentax Corp. in 2002.
    xxx
  2. Ricoh was founded by the Riken zaibatsu on the 6th of February, 1936, as Riken Kankoshi (= Riken Sensitized Paper). It was a spin-off of Riken's sensitized paper division. In March 1938, Riken Kankōshi became Riken Kōgaku Kōgyō (Riken Optical) and Ricoh in April 1963.
    xxx
  3. Riken was founded in 1917. Riken is a contraction of the formal name Rikagaku Kenkyūjo. The full Japanese name is Kokuritsu Kenkyū Kaihatsu Hōjin Rikagaku Kenkyūsho, National Institute of Physical and Chemical Research.
    xxx
  4. There was a company named Asahi Bussan in the mid-1930s, manufacturing and distributing the Olympic and Super Olympic bakelite cameras (no link with Olympus). Riken Kankōshi bought Asahi Bussan in 1937. The manufacturing part was renamed Asahi Kōgaku Kōgyō, unrelated to 'our' Asahi Kōgaku Kōgyō the predecessor of Pentax Corp.
    xxx
  5. 'That other' Asahi Kōgaku Kōgyō, subsidiary of Riken Kōgaku Kōgyō, was renamed Asahi Musen Kōgyō in 1941, then Asahi Seimitsu Kōgyō in the late 1940s and eventually merged with Riken Kōgaku Kōgyō in April 1953.
    xxx
  6. Asahi Busan / Asahi Kōgaku Kōgyō / Asahi Musen Kōgyō / Asahi Seimitsu Kōgyō is the origin of Riken Kōgaku Kōgyō's / Ricoh's camera business.
After these facts, a speculation of mine that would partly explain what Philippe Farreng said ('Ricoh gave us the right to use the Asahi Optical name'): there might have been a dispute between Riken Kōgaku Kōgyō and/or 'the other' Asahi Kōgaku Kōgyō on the one hand and 'our' Asahi Kōgaku Kōgyō on the other hand, the settlement of which would have been 'the other' Asahi Kōgaku Kōgyō being renamed Asahi Musen Kōgyō.
11-26-2019, 03:14 AM - 1 Like   #202
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Philippe Farreng was definitely wrong when he said that 'later, Pentax gave Ricoh the right to use the K-mount when the brand [= Ricoh] wanted to launch their first SLR camera':
  1. Asahi Optical had put the K mount into the public domain from day one, hoping to make it the standard SLR bayonet mount as the M42 mount had been the standard SLR thread mount.
    xxx
  2. The first SLR camera with interchangeable lenses launched by Ricoh was the Ricoh Singlex, introduced in 1962. The Singlex was a further development of the Nikkorex F made by Mamiya for Nikon. The original Singlex is the only Ricoh SLR with a Nikon F lens mount, the ensuing models having an M42 mount throughout most of the next decade.
    xxx
  3. The first Ricoh SLRs to use the K-mount were the Ricoh XR-1 and XR-2, launched in 1977.
11-26-2019, 03:17 AM   #203

Photos: Gallery
Having talked to Philippe Farreng during the 100th Anniversary event at the Pentax Pop-up Café I got the impression he was personally in favour of Ricoh joining the L-mount alliance and/or he had heard about discussions on this topic.

I might be wrong though, he didn't say anything specific.
Do we have more technically competent people in the gourp (than myself), who understand the technology here. Would it be possible to create an adapter to fit K mount lenses on L mount cameras?

11-26-2019, 03:31 AM   #204
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
OK. Well, you've certainly refused to let it die.
As much as I appreciate Mistral's presence here - you know me, I wouldn't say this just out of fake politeness - I'm afraid I have to agree with Mark here.
Good intentions will always be perverted by people with bad intentions. We strive for information, any information about Pentax, and I very much want Mistral to continue. I also don't want such information to be misused.
11-26-2019, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #205
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Landscape_with_K1 Quote
(...) Would it be possible to create an adapter to fit K mount lenses on L mount cameras?
Yes it would.
  1. Basically you have to transcode the electronic protocols. In doing so you obtain an adapter that allows to use all KAF4 lenses (those with an electric command and control of the aperture) on an L-mount camera. Not very useful since there are very few KAF4 lenses.
    xxx
  2. If you add an actuator (= motor) in the adapter to move the aperture lever of the lens, the adapter will allow to use all K-mount lenses on an L-mount camera. However, the lenses without motor, those that rely on the in-camera motor and screw drive to focus, would loose their autofocus capability. Only the so-called KAF2 and KAF3 lenses would keep autofocus.
    xxx
  3. If you add a second motor and a screw drive in the adapter you restore the autofocus with any and all KAF lenses.

Sony did it with their LA-EA2 (APS-C) and LA-EA4 adapters, with the added complexity of a semitransparent mirror and dedicated autofocus module included in these adapters. They are quite bulky but they work.

I think the best solution would be to propose two different adapters:
  • One, simpler, smaller and cheaper, with only the actuator to move the aperture lever (type 2 above).
  • The other one, more complex, more bulky and more expensive, with the two actuators, aperture lever + focus (type 3 above).
As I already said, a simple 'type 1' adapter without any actuator wouldn't be very useful.
11-26-2019, 03:41 AM   #206
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Landscape_with_K1 Quote
Do we have more technically competent people in the gourp (than myself), who understand the technology here. Would it be possible to create an adapter to fit K mount lenses on L mount cameras?
Novoflex already has it in stock :
Adapterfinder Products - NOVOFLEX Präzisionstechnik GmbH

Credit : somebody kind here on PF
11-26-2019, 03:54 AM   #207
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Novoflex already has it in stock :
Adapterfinder Products - NOVOFLEX Präzisionstechnik GmbH

Credit : somebody kind here on PF
This is a purely mechanical adapter with no coupling whatsoever between camera and lens.
11-26-2019, 04:02 AM   #208
Pentaxian

Thank you for the information Mistral75! Really interesting reading!
11-26-2019, 04:03 AM   #209
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Already available for $212 from B&H. Manufacturer is Novoflex, one of the best makers of adapters in my opinion.
"Manual Adapter, No Function Transfer" -- makes it a rather niche option.
11-26-2019, 04:21 AM   #210
Pentaxian

Yes
Ricoh thinks photographers will start switching from mirrorless back to DSLRs within 1-2 years - DIY Photography
QuoteOriginally posted by Zooland Quote
Very informative interview. Didn’t someone say that they expect those who bought into mirrorless to go back to DSLR?