Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2019, 10:26 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I knew that for a long time, but everytime I suggested this on this side, it recieved a lot of denial. Now it's just confirmed by Ricoh what I wrote here many times, and I like it.
Weird, I always though that the consensus was "DSLRs are harder". Now lenses might be different because of flange distance...

11-23-2019, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Having talked to Philippe Farreng during the 100th Anniversary event at the Pentax Pop-up Café I got the impression he was personally in favour of Ricoh joining the L-mount alliance and/or he had heard about discussions on this topic.

I might be wrong though, he didn't say anything specific.
11-23-2019, 10:32 AM   #18
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for the informative translation. Interesting to see Ricoh’s thoughts on mirrorless include the need to develop a full range of lenses themselves or license/join another mount group. I don’t think we will see anything happening on that track in the foreseeable future. Agree with their view that low cost entry dslr’s do not have a good future for any company.
11-23-2019, 10:35 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I didn't translate the whole article, you should follow the links provided (French + English).
OK, the Google translation is pretty good. Yes, he talks about future developments for both MF and FF lines without any hesitation. That is good news!

11-23-2019, 10:49 AM   #20
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How feasible would it be to design a Kaf3 mount to an all electronic mirrorless mount converter and maintain full auto aperture control? Kaf4 should be doable but losing access to most of the existing lens lineup would be challenging to a lot of users. One option might be to include the required mechanicals in the body mount - not sure how small they can make the required aperture control mech and screw drive motors.
11-23-2019, 12:04 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting this interview. It's the only one in recent times, in which a Ricoh official says something clear. Interesting the option to make ML in partnership with others who have already developed a lens system. Probably the L-mount is the only option, since it is considered that the ML FF market is doing well and the m43 is in difficulty.
11-23-2019, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Obviously, Canon liklyhood of survival is one of the highest, given that they downsize quick enough, same for Sony and Nikon. All the other cameras brands will die.
I thought the interview was very interesting, but, of course, we're all doomed, I tell ye, doomed!

11-23-2019, 12:33 PM - 3 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

Mirrorless? Available from Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, Leica and Sigma.

I don't see any reason, why Pentax should (anyway too late) join this trend. Especially when they are aware that the Pentax "fan community is very special because of its attachment to the brand" and well, call it conservative, but stuck to DSLR.

"In many cases, the father owned a Pentax, which he later passed on to his children, who themselves bought a Pentax camera. We therefore have a community that is extremely loyal to Pentax."

Yes, but that's only possible thanks to the mount compatibility.

Simply, I don't see is as realistic, that Pentax would switch to mirrorless and gain important market share (and profit). IMHO it's much better to concentrate on DSLR, continue improvement of the cameras and maintain the market share that they already have (thanks to the loyal community).
11-23-2019, 12:41 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
How feasible would it be to design a Kaf3 mount to an all electronic mirrorless mount converter and maintain full auto aperture control? (...)
Quite easy I presume. Nikon and Sony did it for their respective F -> Z and A -> E converters.
11-23-2019, 12:44 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
(...)

Simply, I don't see is as realistic, that Pentax would switch to mirrorless and gain important market share (and profit). IMHO it's much better to concentrate on DSLR, continue improvement of the cameras and maintain the market share that they already have (thanks to the loyal community).
The problem with maintaining one's market share in a rapidly declining market is that one's revenue is rapidly declining as well.
11-23-2019, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Mirrorless? Available from Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, Leica and Sigma.

I don't see any reason, why Pentax should (anyway too late) join this trend. Especially when they are aware that the Pentax "fan community is very special because of its attachment to the brand" and well, call it conservative, but stuck to DSLR.

"In many cases, the father owned a Pentax, which he later passed on to his children, who themselves bought a Pentax camera. We therefore have a community that is extremely loyal to Pentax."

Yes, but that's only possible thanks to the mount compatibility.

As many times discussed, i agree with you.
Unless they launch an advanced K-01 with excellent electronic viewfinder and ergonomics, a must with DA limiteds.
11-23-2019, 01:05 PM - 2 Likes   #27

There are millions of k-mount film cameras gathering dust in attics, being bashed around in charity shops, and flogged off at car boot sales. Anyone who successfully engineers a simple, effective digital back for them will make a fortune in sales.

Such a solution would be an extremely environmentally appealing product and could be updated and iterated as new sensors and materials become available.

Pentax/Ricoh would be a prime candidate to design, optimise and manufacture the devices.
11-23-2019, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
As many times discussed, i agree with you.
Unless they launch an advanced K-01 with excellent electronic viewfinder and ergonomics, a must with DA limiteds.
Maybe they have some engineers with some “Mad Scientist” DNA in their systems working on such a creature! Imagine one sized between the K 01 and the GR III with a magnesium composite frame underneath but KA registration distance.

I personally have no interest in a mirror less camera but the framework that exists could be modified into a Killer of the competition, especially with the available lenses we have now.
11-23-2019, 01:16 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting interview, thanks for posting this. Even though I can understand why M. Farreng would take so much time to justify not being an exhibitor at Salon de la Photo, it would have been a poor decision to participate anyway, from a marketing standpoint. Far better to organize an event targeted at the "radicalized" Pentax "community," where the audience is much more attentive, much more sympathetic and safe from negative distractions. Even better if Ricoh Imaging can piggyback on the Salon event without additional expense that would result in negligible benefits on its own.

My reading of M Farreng's comments related to the not yet dead possibility of a new Pentax MILC and the allusion to the L-Alliance, is that a good salesman never says never. Far better to let the candle of hope extinguish itself due to a lack of oxygen than to snuff it out with a blanket statement.
11-23-2019, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The five pillars of Ricoh Imaging's wisdom:
  1. Pentax camera and lenses
  2. Ricoh GR
  3. 360° Theta cameras
  4. Binoculars and optics
  5. Waterproof cameras
Five Pillars lacks completeness. Eventually: