Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 359 Likes Search this Thread
12-13-2019, 02:15 PM   #496
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
It definitely is part of it. The other part is, I think, reduced aberrations. For what reason when most can be corrected with one click, I don't know. My new-to-me M20/4, however, arrives tomorrow in the morning and I cannot wait to go around the Christmas market with the small bandit on the K-1!
Let us know what shape it is in and post pictures.

12-13-2019, 02:39 PM   #497
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That's just it though; at 20mm on full frame, the edges are very far apart, if that makes sense. For me, if I'm going out with a lens that wide, it's either got to be a sunny day or I have to bring a tripod, there's really no middle ground. And at that point f8 to f11 apertures are fine, and the M 20 f4 performs quite well there. It is a bit of a "if you're going to own and use this lens, you should be aware of the full requirements of use" kinds of things. The K 20 is huge compared to the M 20 which is why I went for the M; I wanted something I could put in a small pouch or case and take with me camping where space is at a premium. The K 20 is not huge at all compared to what I think Ricoh might try to sell us if they brought out an ultra-wide prime today.

Hope you got a good copy of the M 20 coming to you.
12-13-2019, 03:23 PM   #498
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
That's just it though; at 20mm on full frame, the edges are very far apart, if that makes sense. For me, if I'm going out with a lens that wide, it's either got to be a sunny day or I have to bring a tripod, there's really no middle ground. And at that point f8 to f11 apertures are fine, and the M 20 f4 performs quite well there. It is a bit of a "if you're going to own and use this lens, you should be aware of the full requirements of use" kinds of things. The K 20 is huge compared to the M 20 which is why I went for the M; I wanted something I could put in a small pouch or case and take with me camping where space is at a premium. The K 20 is not huge at all compared to what I think Ricoh might try to sell us if they brought out an ultra-wide prime today.

My AdaptaptAll 17mm f/3.5 is not huge at all. Here is a photo of it next to my Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7.
Yes it is bigger, but small enough I could carry it in a "FF" bag regularly and not think about it until it is needed.
And right now it is the lens I would use if I were to go "FF".
Maybe Pentax should leave WA and UWA "FF" to old and new manual focus lenses from other companies.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
12-13-2019, 03:30 PM   #499
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also have an Adaptall 17 and it's pretty good. It would be better if they had put filter threads in the stupid thing. It would be amazing if they had produced a hood that mounted with a bayonet instead of *SET SCREWS* (I'm getting annoyed just typing it out) and had filter threads. I hope someone lost their job over that mess.

In any case, yeah, there's pretty good manual focus glass available brand new as well as old film-era stuff. That doesn't mean Pentax shouldn't have a couple more lens options available brand new. If I had a K-1 I would probably go looking for a Tamron 17-35 as it seems pretty capable and the 15-30 is just too big and expensive.

Between my Samyang 14, Adaptall 17, and M 20 I'm pretty well covered! And I should probably sell one of them just because I don't need so much wide glass.

12-13-2019, 05:18 PM   #500
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote

Honestly, the main reason I even went for an UWA was to have something for extreme perspectives more than all-encompassing landscapes. Since I normally don't plan for those things to appear, something that can go in a coat pocket as a "just in case" (if the D FA 28-105 is too long) was the logical option.

Regarding the size of the K, I indeed was thinking that it's small compared to any "modern" UWA lens; the M is just unbelievable small.
12-13-2019, 05:54 PM   #501
Pentaxian

Regarding the size of the K, I indeed was thinking that it's small compared to any "modern" UWA lens; the M is just unbelievable small.
Until computers were highly used, lenses had 'character' - usually dependent on the designer - now they are simply as close to "perfect" as possible.
12-13-2019, 09:09 PM - 2 Likes   #502
Pentaxian

Original Poster
...and perfection is boring.

12-14-2019, 12:56 AM   #503
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
I think the proportion of gear oriented individuals is much higher on the various photography forums and vlogger sites.
Such places give them their "fix" on the latest tech.
I took some vintage lenses into my camera club, 4 people had a look! If it had been a carb off an old Alvis, car enthusiasts would have surrounded me. I think availability and usability of vintage glass on Pentax bodies has wired pentaxians differently. Also I would hate to be a Sony shooter. Imagine paying a ton for a Sony A7ii only to see it get superseded twice in quick succession
12-14-2019, 03:56 AM   #504
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Until computers were highly used, lenses had 'character' - usually dependent on the designer - now they are simply as close to "perfect" as possible.
Computers easily allows 'without character' lenses, maybe.
But close to perfection is possible with character. DFA50 is a proof.
12-14-2019, 06:56 AM - 4 Likes   #505
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Let us know what shape it is in and post pictures.
It looks like it has not been used in the last 40 years. It's basically the same size as the M50/1.7 (how did they manage?!) I will probably take it out for a spin later
Attached Images

12-14-2019, 07:12 AM   #506
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is quite the compact lens, and certainly beats lugging the 15-30. Any vignetting with an nd or circular polarizer on it?
12-14-2019, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #507
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
That is quite the compact lens, and certainly beats lugging the 15-30. Any vignetting with an nd or circular polarizer on it?
No noticeable vignetting with a fairly thick-framed UV filter!
12-14-2019, 07:38 AM   #508
Pentaxian

It's basically the same size as the M50/1.7 (how did they manage?!)
Nice!

Do these "compact" MILC systems even have lenses as compact as this?

Certainly most recent lens releases were all about large and heavy lenses.

I understand the modern day expectations regarding lenses in terms of speed and optical quality, but what is the point of these ergonomically crippled MILC cameras if one doesn't have the option of slapping on a small (albeit slow) lens?
12-14-2019, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #509

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Nice!

I understand the modern day expectations regarding lenses in terms of speed and optical quality, but what is the point of these ergonomically crippled MILC cameras if one doesn't have the option of slapping on a small (albeit slow) lens?
Sony has a 20mm APSC lens that is as pancake as pancake could be. For full frame, the Samyang primes are pretty compact. The Loxia 21 it's pretty compact and faster than the Pentax, I'd be curious to see its size comparison with the Pentax+adapter. There is a disappointing amount of small lenses for Sony. The Fuji stuff is pretty small, but only APSC.
12-14-2019, 08:06 AM   #510
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Nice!

It probably goes without saying that the majority of mirrorless devotees would be lost without the in-lens motors for autofocus and/or aperture control. And it would be tough to build comparable focal length and aperture lenses with such motors as compactly as the pre-F-series Pentax lenses.