Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 359 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2019, 05:06 AM   #556
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
The micro43 system does not perform too well.
I beg to differ. Though I have several full frame cameras, M43 serves me well in all but a handful of situations. Some of the lenses are outstanding (Panasonic Leica 42.5 mm f1.2 Nocticron and Olympus 75 mm f1.8 to give but two examples) and at moderate ISO levels (up to ISO 800) it is very hard to tell the difference between photographs taken with my G9 and those with my K-1. I can think of areas where micro four-thirds will perform less well than a full frame system, but these are usually outside my photography needs. I can also think of areas where the G9 is better than my K-1. YMMV according to your type of photography, of course.

12-22-2019, 05:45 AM   #557
Veteran Member

I also had doubts whether to buy m43 (until Pentax presents their ML . However, ISO800 is an important limitation. That's the way I was using K7, I didn't want to go back to that limitation.
Anyway I intend not to spend the money on DSLR anymore. I want to stay with the very good impression about KP
12-22-2019, 05:53 AM   #558
Pentaxian

All in all it sounds like good news. I can see myself possibly buying this new APS-C flagship in a couple of years when the price has come down, assuming of course that it doesn't have any problems like the solenoid failures of the last few years.
12-22-2019, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #559
Veteran Member

Solenoid failure only occurred on the entry cameras in the Pentax system. I do not think they will make such models anymore, now the tendency is to offer expensive premium products.

12-22-2019, 05:59 PM   #560
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
All in all it sounds like good news. I can see myself possibly buying this new APS-C flagship in a couple of years when the price has come down, assuming of course that it doesn't have any problems like the solenoid failures of the last few years.
No APS-C flagship every had solenoid failure, as the K7 / K5 / K3 line and the KP did not use a solenoid for aperture control.
12-22-2019, 06:05 PM   #561
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
No APS-C flagship every had solenoid failure, as the K7 / K5 / K3 line and the KP did not use a solenoid for aperture control.
Interesting enough, the aperture control also works on my "Super Program", which I purchased in 1983 - and also uses the solenoid for aperture control. The solenoid did work consistently ..... until its provider moved construction to China and changed materials used.
12-22-2019, 06:11 PM   #562
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Enjoy the wait. That will work (unless currency exchange rates go against you).

12-22-2019, 11:27 PM   #563
Pentaxian

I'm very interested about the price of the K-new... This will also tell how much new tech has been incorporated into it and how close it is to the D500 which for me is the benchmark for top notch sport oriented APS-C cameras. I wouldn't be surprised if its price will be really close to a new K-1 nowadays...
12-23-2019, 03:19 AM   #564
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
I'm very interested about the price of the K-new... This will also tell how much new tech has been incorporated into it and how close it is to the D500 which for me is the benchmark for top notch sport oriented APS-C cameras. I wouldn't be surprised if its price will be really close to a new K-1 nowadays...
I have been looking at second hand Fuji's and anything with a hybrid viewfinder is way more expensive than without. If the price is similar to the K1 it will still be reasonably priced, relatively speaking, as the K1 is cheap for what it is
12-23-2019, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #565
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm a bit afraid of the price and the negativity on the Forum that will follow that information leaking. It's just bound to be more expensive than many want to pay...

---------- Post added 12-23-19 at 05:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I beg to differ. Though I have several full frame cameras, M43 serves me well in all but a handful of situations. Some of the lenses are outstanding (Panasonic Leica 42.5 mm f1.2 Nocticron and Olympus 75 mm f1.8 to give but two examples) and at moderate ISO levels (up to ISO 800) it is very hard to tell the difference between photographs taken with my G9 and those with my K-1. I can think of areas where micro four-thirds will perform less well than a full frame system, but these are usually outside my photography needs. I can also think of areas where the G9 is better than my K-1. YMMV according to your type of photography, of course.
At base iso, there are about 1.5 EVs difference in dynamic range between the G9 and the K-1. I would think that for landscape shooters that would be enough of a difference that it might be visible. It is true that if you shoot out of camera jpegs and never print very big that micro four thirds is adequate, but certainly there are differences, even at lower iso settings that should be visible if you process images much.

(I'm sure micro four thirds is sufficient for many people, but there is a difference between it and current full frame cameras)...
12-23-2019, 03:55 AM   #566
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'm a bit afraid of the price and the negativity on the Forum that will follow that information leaking. It's just bound to be more expensive than many want to pay...
Yes, Pentaxians keep using the Nikon D500 as a focusing-standard - but they expect every Pentax camera to be vastly less expensive, and no matter what the price is now, they expect a price drop in a few months.
12-23-2019, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #567
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yes, Pentaxians keep using the Nikon D500 as a focusing-standard - but they expect every Pentax camera to be vastly less expensive, and no matter what the price is now, they expect a price drop in a few months.
"and then maybe I'll buy it"
12-23-2019, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #568
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yes, Pentaxians keep using the Nikon D500 as a focusing-standard - but they expect every Pentax camera to be vastly less expensive.
Exactly! I always said that most people expected too much when they compared cameras like the D500, D850 or A9 with the Pentax "flagships" as if every flagship camera is aimed at the same use or comes at the same price. When you compared the K-1 to the D810 you could see that the AF performance is similar and this is a fair comparison of 2 general use high IQ FF cameras.

Anyway, if the K-new brings such an advanced AF module as the one of the D500, I'm willing to pay the difference it will come with, otherwise I could get the KP, the K-70 or even a K-3 that offers older AF technology and performance for a more attractive price. I don't know how advanced the K-new will be, but if some of the rumours in here are true we might see an APS-C priced around the 2K tag equal to the previous generation FF and less than the FF K-1 sucessor which will incorporate those advances on a new sensor and will go further up in price...
12-23-2019, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #569
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Anyway, if the K-new brings such an advanced AF module as the one of the D500, I'm willing to pay the difference it will come with
Me too.
12-23-2019, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #570
Veteran Member

I was hoping a laucnh price around 1400 USD but market dynamics and possible number of Embedded innovations nside Knew make me think 1500 to 1800 USD sounds more likelw but not necessarily reasonnable so as to trigger easy and earlw acquisitions