Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 359 Likes Search this Thread
12-27-2019, 06:02 AM   #616
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I also don't know how difficult/costly it would be to add the aperture feeler for K/M lenses, but one can dream right? It's Christmas after all
Yes, you may dream - but people have been dreaming ever since Pentax dropped that from their cameras, and with nothing happening. If they were not going to bother in that time, I really doubt if they are suddenly going to start doing it ..... "green button metering" is really not that difficult to do on landscape.

12-27-2019, 07:14 AM   #617
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Sony E being an open standard is a joke. Yes, anyone can support Sony with lenses and accessories... that's it.
Sony doesn't want competition, just servants to their very much proprietary system.

Even if the E mount would be an option (it isn't), Ricoh would compete directly with 2 generations old, heavily discounted Sony cameras and Sony's entire marketing prowess. IMHO such a move would push them out of the market.
If as you say Ricoh isn't an equal to the tiny L alliance, how is an electronic giant like Sony any better?
Did I say one was better? I know you don't actually read the posts you respond to, but if you will look you will see that I said " I don't think the E mount is the best mount to go with however"

When Farreng says "use an existing lens mount in partnership." Which mount do you think he is referring to?
12-27-2019, 07:38 AM   #618
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yes, you may dream - but people have been dreaming ever since Pentax dropped that from their cameras, and with nothing happening. If they were not going to bother in that time, I really doubt if they are suddenly going to start doing it ..... "green button metering" is really not that difficult to do on landscape.
Unfortunately, you are most likely right. The green button isn't a bother in most of the cases - I regularly put my M set of lenses to good use. But hey, if we get an extra bonus I wouldn't argue
12-27-2019, 08:06 AM   #619
Pentaxian

The Nikon compatibility chart is atrocious. I gotta hand it to Canon there: 32 years of 100% compatibility, unless I'm mistaken. I would love for Pentax to give us Av on K/M/A lenses, it cannot be *that* hard right?
EFS on FF cam will nick jour mirror so, no sir.
But a lot better then Nikon.

12-27-2019, 08:28 AM   #620
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's why the lens won't mount unless you modify it. All EF lenses fit on all EF bodies. Technically the canon APS-C bodies have a different mount (EF-S); them being able to use EF lenses is a bonus -like it was for M42 being usable in K mount. As I said, within the same system everything works.
12-27-2019, 08:44 AM   #621
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
EFS on FF cam will nick jour mirror so, no sir.
But a lot better then Nikon.
To repeat: Canon EF-S lenses will not mount on a Canon "FF" camera, so one cannot 'nick' its mirror - you are completely safe with Canon ..... and that is the only type of lens I am aware of that presents a problem.
12-27-2019, 08:55 AM   #622
Pentaxian

Technically the canon APS-C bodies have a different mount (EF-S); them being able to use EF lenses is a bonus -like it was for M42 being usable in K mount. As I said, within the same system everything works.
Actually, technically a Canon "APS-C" body has two mounts that share components in a clever way - like Pentax would have been if you could use a M42 lens on a K-mount body with-out needing an adapter.

12-27-2019, 08:56 AM   #623

Photos: Gallery
Acronyms

So many different acronyms referencing different aspects of DSLRs, Thetas, etc. Is there anywhere a listing of current acronyms>
12-27-2019, 09:00 AM   #624
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Did I say one was better? I know you don't actually read the posts you respond to, but if you will look you will see that I said " I don't think the E mount is the best mount to go with however"

When Farreng says "use an existing lens mount in partnership." Which mount do you think he is referring to?
You know a lot of stuff but you said best, I asked about being better. Not the same.

When he says that, I think he's out of the decision chain and offering a personal opinion.
But he's the General Sales Manager for Europe and supposedly highly informed and competent, thus he wouldn't think of Sony E - a closed proprietary system. Likely it's the other proprietary system - Leica L - for which there is actually a precedent of several manufacturer making cameras. But, again, it seems like a personal opinion and not something Ricoh Imaging claims to be considering.

Last edited by Kunzite; 12-27-2019 at 09:05 AM.
12-27-2019, 09:02 AM   #625
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PENTAPSC Quote
So many different acronyms referencing different aspects of DSLRs, Thetas, etc. Is there anywhere a listing of current acronyms>
"DSLR" stands for Digital Single Lens Camera - a camera has a moving mirror so light can be sent to Optical Viewfinder {"OVF"} when its not being sent to the sensor

"MILC" stands for Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera - a camera that doesn't need a mirror because Electric Viewfinder {"EVF"} shows what the sensor sees

"FF" stands for Full-Frame and means frame is about 36mmx24mm, which was the size of a "35mm" frame in the days a film.

"APS-C" was another film format, but the main thing to know today is that it's sensor is about 2/3 the size a "FF" sensor

added: "Theta" is not an acronym, but the name a camera built by Ricoh {owner of Pentax these days} which has several sensors and gives a 360 degree view.

Last edited by reh321; 12-27-2019 at 09:08 AM.
12-27-2019, 09:04 AM   #626
Veteran Member

You know a lot of stuff but you said best, I asked about being better. Not the same.

When he says that, I think he's out of the decision chain and offering a personal opinion.
But he's the General Sales Manager for Europe and supposedly highly informed and competent, thus he wouldn't think of Sony E - a closed proprietary system.
I'm sure he is out of the decision chain, but I asked which one is he referring to? Him being part of the chain isn't relevant to the question. Everyone here is expressing opinion and is out of the chain.
12-27-2019, 09:08 AM   #627
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm sure he is out of the decision chain, but I asked which one is he referring to? Him being part of the chain isn't relevant to the question. Everyone here is expressing opinion and is out of the chain.
Since I have discussed the topic with him: I take it Philippe Farreng was referring to the L-mount alliance.
12-27-2019, 09:08 AM   #628
Pentaxian

The point is, L mount is a popular opinion - we all agree on that. But, is it actually an option?
12-27-2019, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #629
Veteran Member

The point is, L mount is a popular opinion - we all agree on that. But, is it actually an option?
From what I have read. L-mount is probably an option. Panasonic and Leica (obviously) were going to develop for the L-mount regardless of what other companies decided to do. Sigma was invited as was Olympus. Were other companies invited? I don't know. Ricoh seems like a prime candidate for the partnership. Panasonic doesn't appear to be interested in developing on-sensor PDAF and they are going for the large body. Sigma will use a Foveon sensor. There will be a market for a manufacturer who can make compact FF bodies using PDAF sensors and there will be a market for compact glass. Everything from Sigma and Panasonic is huge and expensive... Leica obviously so. Panasonic is struggling so I don't see them adding more L-mount bodies in the near future. I think the 3 that they currently have will be improved via firmware updates over the next 2-3 years before we see new bodies as Panasonic will focus on glass. A GH-5 & G9 replacement should come late next year.

I really wish Olympus had decided to join the L-mount. FF mirrorless is where the growth is and has been for the last few years.

Ricoh has to eventually do something. This is not an industry where you can rest on your laurels. Look at what has happened to Canon and Nikon in just a few short years. They are playing catch-up in the market. Obviously Canon and Nikon are huge companies and they still command a massive share of the industry, but they have fallen behind in several key areas.

Leica is the only one who could keep someone from joining the L-mount as the L-mount is theirs and they would have to grant a license, but other than a license from Leica I don't believe there is any restriction. There are anti-trust laws against cartels and the L-mount alliance would find themselves in trouble if they were working together to restrict competition.
12-27-2019, 11:02 AM   #630
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PENTAPSC Quote
Google has your answer.