Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 359 Likes Search this Thread
12-29-2019, 12:25 AM   #661
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 2B1 Quote
The L mount alliance , has little influence in the photography market , to be considered a Cartel.
It is smart way to deliver good things, and those who are in it has to co-operate to make it work. It seems obvious thatthey are co-operating not just in lenses. Leica aqquiered great video capability for it new vamera. No doubt that they got that from Panasonic.

12-29-2019, 12:52 AM   #662
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
We already know what it will look like. I'm not sure what you mean about "flagship features" since the K-1 and KP have almost identical controls and buttons; in fact, I would guess that the KP is more like the "flagship" K-1 than the new camera is.
We only know what they decided to show us.

K-1 II IS the Pentax flagship. Are you saying KP is the flagship, or even equivalent to K-1 II?
12-29-2019, 03:35 AM   #663
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It seems fairly obvious to me the new camera will have
  • New AF sensor with many more AF points - enough to cover the FF viewfinder
  • New AF processing technology
  • Faster shutter than KP
  • Deeper buffer than KP
  • Flagship features RE external buttons, controls, card slots, etc. vs. KP
  • Touchscreen
  • Some sort of breakthrough technology (the unlabeled button)
I believe it will be available in early May.
Nothing new or interesting, just improvements to what already exists.
12-29-2019, 04:10 AM - 2 Likes   #664
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
"May you live in interesting times" - old Chinese curse.

What is "new or interesting"? The cameras are mature tools, there's little room for "revolutions" - a lot of progress is about improvements on what already exists.
Yes, I don't expect something truly "new" either, not even the hybrid viewfinder some are speculating about. But I expect this camera to be a huge jump in all but image quality (which is already top-level e.g. on the KP).

12-29-2019, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #665
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Like mirrorless cameras, then.

---------- Post added 12-29-19 at 04:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
"May you live in interesting times" - old Chinese curse.

What is "new or interesting"? The cameras are mature tools, there's little room for "revolutions" - a lot of progress is about improvements on what already exists.
Yes, I don't expect something truly "new" either, not even the hybrid viewfinder some are speculating about. But I expect this camera to be a huge jump in all but image quality (which is already top-level e.g. on the KP).
As I said a couple days ago, the only things that Pentax could do to improve on what they have already made are action oriented/usability enhancements. So, better AF (coverage, points, speed/accuracy, tracking etc.), better frame rate/buffer, touch screen (which isn't even practical on a full sized machine, but hey "modern exciting features") or even better battery life.

Heck, give me a fast focusing screen that is sensitive to f/1.8 or so while working with AF and I'll be drooling all over it.
12-29-2019, 05:42 AM   #666
Veteran Member

For example, "focus peaking" in the viewfinder, eliminating the need for lens calibration for competent AF, narrower mount with large diameter that allow designing high performance lenses for digital and allow any older lens to be adapted, in camera focus stacking are some new, modern features that probably won't be found in the new Pentax "modern" camera.

Also, when switching from film to digital, there were some who argued that digital would never reach the film level, just as some now argue that ML is not an important step up from the old DSLRs. DSLRs that are based on the same principles. functioning as the historical SLRs.

Ricoh will probably do that sometime, this step forward, they will not be able to remain eternal after the other manufacturers of photo equipment. The L Alliance is an easier, faster way with lower costs.
12-29-2019, 06:43 AM   #667
Pentaxian

We only know what they decided to show us.

K-1 II IS the Pentax flagship. Are you saying KP is the flagship, or even equivalent to K-1 II?
1. K-1ii is flagship.

2. KP looks like K-1ii

3. new camera looks less like K-1ii than KP does.

4. so, what did you mean when you talked about it’s having flagship buttons and controls when it’s buttons and controls seem to look less like the K-1ii’s than the KP does?

12-29-2019, 07:10 AM - 4 Likes   #668
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

KP is clearly a mid-range, enthusiast camera. K-1 II is a high end professional camera, or as close as Pentax is going to be.

Q.E.D.
12-29-2019, 07:20 AM - 2 Likes   #669
Pentaxian

For example, "focus peaking" in the viewfinder, eliminating the need for lens calibration for competent AF, narrower mount with large diameter that allow designing high performance lenses for digital and allow any older lens to be adapted, in camera focus stacking are some new, modern features that probably won't be found in the new Pentax "modern" camera.

Also, when switching from film to digital, there were some who argued that digital would never reach the film level, just as some now argue that ML is not an important step up from the old DSLRs. DSLRs that are based on the same principles. functioning as the historical SLRs.

Ricoh will probably do that sometime, this step forward, they will not be able to remain eternal after the other manufacturers of photo equipment. The L Alliance is an easier, faster way with lower costs.
Hell, commenting on a list of speculative specs of the next announced DSLR and complaining that it lacks some self defined "innovations" and especially that it probably will not be mirrorless is a quite high level of .... choose your characterisation.

---------- Post added 12-29-19 at 04:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
1. K-1ii is flagship.

2. KP looks like K-1ii

3. new camera looks less like K-1ii than KP does.

4. so, what did you mean when you talked about it’s having flagship buttons and controls when it’s buttons and controls seem to look less like the K-1ii’s than the KP does?
wtf. time for me to stay clear of these threads...
12-29-2019, 07:34 AM   #670
Pentaxian

KP is clearly a mid-range, enthusiast camera. K-1 II is a high end professional camera, or as close as Pentax is going to be.

Q.E.D.
We agree on this part, but I still do not understand what you meant by "flagship buttons and controls", as close as those two camera are. To me, one of the great innovations of the K-1ii is the third e-dial; having it on the KP gives me control over all three components of the 'triangle', but I am still uncertain how the new camera will behave in situations like that. The main issues I have heard about the KP are its 'small' battery, its 'small' buffer, and its lack of topside LCD. We know about the last of those, and we can only expect that the first two are being taken care of - but we won't know for certain until we learn more details.
12-29-2019, 07:55 AM - 4 Likes   #671
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Focus peaking is a different implementation of an older microprism/split prism screen from the 70s -> not new, just a significant improvement.

No AF calibration required is an improvement (at the cost of absolute, ultimate IQ due to on-sensor PDAF necessarily covering part of the photosites), not "new". Properly calibrated DSLR lenses nail focus.

Sony has a mount with roughly the same diameter as the K-mount. The flange distance is better when short, sure - as evidenced by rangefinders cameras from the 1930s. So much for new: fancy rangefinders is what we have .

Focus stacking has nothing to do with MILC vs DSLR (D850 has it), and from what I have heard a macro focusing rail is anyway better at close distances.

Again, film vs digital is a completely different story.
The day the market (or the companies involved, which is more important because yay marketing) decides a terrible EVF is *the* way forward will be the day I will seriously consider whether I stock up on DSLR backup bodies, give up photography entirely or swallow the bitter pill and suffer through the horrendous user experience that is using a MILC.
12-29-2019, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #672
Pentaxian

The only difference between DSLRs and MILCs is the viewfinder system.
I repeat: the only difference between DSLRs and MILCs is the viewfinder system. This is far less than between two fundamentally different imaging media like film and digital, and even far less than between rangefinders and SLRs (DSLRs are just as able to use any focal lengths as MILCs).
The "film vs. digital", just like "horse vs carriage", is an ill constructed analogy.

P.S. I don't care much if Ricoh Imaging has to go MILC in order to continue as an ILC maker after a decade or so. What I care about is them continuing to make Pentax DSLR products for as long as possible.
12-29-2019, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #673
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The autofocus system is different too.
12-29-2019, 11:22 AM - 3 Likes   #674
Pentaxian

Hmph! Nothing new, just improved... -speechless- , shug my shoulders and getting ready to have a proper look of that new camera. IT IS NEW.

Nothing, I mean nothing can take that away.

Now if some one get so easily bored, that is hardly Ricoh's fault.
12-29-2019, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #675
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Hmph! Nothing new, just improved... -speechless- , shug my shoulders and getting ready to have a proper look of that new camera. IT IS NEW.

Nothing, I mean nothing can take that away.

Now if some one get so easily bored, that is hardly Ricoh's fault.
and we cannot see "improvement" by looking just at the skin.