Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 359 Likes Search this Thread
12-29-2019, 12:22 PM   #676
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
and we cannot see "improvement" by looking just at the skin.
Nor can we see Ricoh just repackaging the KP in new clothes, so we have to believe significant improvements or additions are the reason for the new body.

12-29-2019, 01:01 PM - 2 Likes   #677
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OMG. Just Yikes.

Every control on K-1 is a dedicated button, including a control lock button. Most KP controls are dual button uses such as AF/AE-L or OK/[ ]|[ ] on the same button.
K-1 has nine discrete functions on the e-Dial. KP has three, plus three custom settings.
K-1 can be operated entirely by muscle memory. KP you have to look at what state your button is in.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-29-2019 at 01:19 PM.
12-29-2019, 01:47 PM   #678
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, "most"... There's AF/AE-L and the AF point selector (and let's be honest, it's not a huge difference between pressing OK and the dedicated button). I would also take the 3 custom functions of the KP over the K-1, mostly because it has the matrix/center/spot selector instead of going to the left side and then using the e-dial. Removing that lever from the mode dial to turn it into a locking lever was a terrible decision.
12-29-2019, 01:58 PM   #679
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
OMG. Just Yikes.

Every control on K-1 is a dedicated button, including a control lock button. Most KP controls are dual button uses such as AF/AE-L or OK/[ ]|[ ] on the same button.
K-1 has nine discrete functions on the e-Dial. KP has three, plus three custom settings.
K-1 can be operated entirely by muscle memory. KP you have to look at what state your button is in.
It so happens that I use only a subset of the KP at a time, so the KP is mostly muscle memory for me also - the way I have it set up, when I am in 'P' mode, I know that each e-dial controls one side of the '"triangle", for example.

But this is beside the point. I have never claimed that the KP is a flagship camera. How do you disagree with my statement "new camera looks less like K-1ii than KP does" {key words are 'looks like'}.

Last edited by reh321; 12-29-2019 at 02:11 PM.
12-29-2019, 02:16 PM   #680
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

KP clearly references the 62 year old AP, which is why it looks the way it looks.

I imagine when K-New is released students of the brand will discern a reference camera, and possibly a reference in the designation as well. But that’s just clever marketing to brand loyalists. What difference does it make what the camera looks like?
12-29-2019, 02:23 PM   #681
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
KP clearly references the 62 year old AP, which is why it looks the way it looks.

I imagine when K-New is released students of the brand will discern a reference camera, and possibly a reference in the designation as well. But that’s just clever marketing to brand loyalists. What difference does it make what the camera looks like?
That image highlights how wide the mirror box area has become on Pentax Dslr's. I'm guessing part of the reason Pentax manages to make the cameras small is that they've pushed stuff into the vertical part containing the mirrorbox and prism. Most recent Pentax cameras have really deep prism housing. Knew seems to be cutting back a bit which I think is good.
12-29-2019, 02:30 PM   #682
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
That image highlights how wide the mirror box area has become on Pentax Dslr's. I'm guessing part of the reason Pentax manages to make the cameras small is that they've pushed stuff into the vertical part containing the mirrorbox and prism. Most recent Pentax cameras have really deep prism housing. Knew seems to be cutting back a bit which I think is good.
The K-mount is wider than the m42 mount, so all K-mount cameras have a seemingly wider mirror box. The engineering magic of Pentax AF film cameras and DSLR’s is they are able to include the AF sensor and AF motor in the space (people complained about the “chimney” when it was introduced, so technically that component is not in the mirror box on APSc bodies).

Last edited by monochrome; 12-29-2019 at 03:49 PM.
12-30-2019, 06:58 AM   #683
Pentaxian

What difference does it make what the camera looks like?
Well, it makes the difference btw a tool and a (more or less) desirable object.
12-30-2019, 07:19 AM   #684
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Well, it makes the difference btw a tool and a (more or less) desirable object.
So a polished stainless steel Estwing framing hammer with stacked leather grip is better than a brushed steel Craftsman with a molded rubber grip?
12-30-2019, 08:04 AM   #685
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The autofocus system is different too.
That is a consequence of the viewfinder system, just like the register distance.
12-30-2019, 08:09 AM   #686
Pentaxian

So a polished stainless steel Estwing framing hammer with stacked leather grip is better than a brushed steel Craftsman with a molded rubber grip?
Depends on your personnal taste

But a undestructible titan+diamantglass shelled "Cyber K-new" will definitely be a big succes
12-30-2019, 08:31 AM   #687
Pentaxian

Depends on whether you got hammer so people can see it or you can use it, I guess. I must admit that appearance of Silver KP is why I got that particular model - and in less than six months it banged against something and I ruined its looks 'stabilizing' the flash part with 'Gorilla Glue' ..... but it still takes photos just fine.
12-30-2019, 08:34 AM   #688
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
But a undestructible titan+diamantglass shelled "Cyber K-new" will definitely be a big succes
People have been waiting so long for "K-3ii replacement" that those left may purchase it if it look like a "Tonka Toy".
12-30-2019, 10:40 AM   #689
Veteran Member

People have been waiting so long for "K-3ii replacement" that those left may purchase it if it look like a "Tonka Toy".
Fortunately we've seen enough previews to know that won't be the case. It looks a fine camera, with cues coming from
K-3, K-1 and KP.
12-30-2019, 10:48 AM   #690
Veteran Member

1. K-1ii is flagship.

2. KP looks like K-1ii

3. new camera looks less like K-1ii than KP does.

4. so, what did you mean when you talked about it’s having flagship buttons and controls when it’s buttons and controls seem to look less like the K-1ii’s than the KP does?
1. K1ii is the flagship FF

2., 3., 4. I would take that to mean the K-New will resolve these tasks in its own way. Different may be better or worse than
K3/K1/KP, user dependent.