Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2019, 08:37 AM   #706
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I recall that statement as well, though they never specifically said the K1ii had superseded the K3ii as flagship. Don't forget the
K3ii was still available for a time when the K1 was first released. But we, the noisy zealots of Pentaxdom have demanded a
flagship APS-C, so very soon there will (again) be two flagship bodies.
All of this is of course just semantics, just as is the term 'pro' body. It really doesn't matter if the K-New is a co-flagship with
the FF body. What does matter is that the KP wasn't quite the successor to the K3 line and quite a few Pentaxians were
not satisfied to move to FF as an answer. Kudos to Ricoh for hearing that audience, I among them.

Exactly. Very convincing points. Count me to that audience too.

12-31-2019, 08:54 AM   #707
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All of this is of course just semantics, just as is the term 'pro' body. It really doesn't matter if the K-New is a co-flagship with
the FF body. What does matter is that the KP wasn't quite the successor to the K3 line and quite a few Pentaxians were
not satisfied to move to FF as an answer. Kudos to Ricoh for hearing that audience, I among them.
Neither the KP nor the K-1 can take 24mp photos at an adequate rate for a sufficiently long time to satisfy some folk.
12-31-2019, 09:00 AM   #708
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I find it hard to believe. Particularly since there are DSLRs with good AF coverage.
This is not about belief. Look at the mirror / submirror assembly.
12-31-2019, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #709
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I strongly doubt Ricoh Imaging is looking at the D500 as their guide to 1:1 replicate.
They may not want to replicate the D500 1:1 as it is a fairly large camera for an APS-C size sensor. If they can approach some of its specs in a smaller package, they may feel that they have been successful.

Compact Camera Meter

12-31-2019, 11:35 AM   #710
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
He's just looking to argue. Changing from OVF to EVF is a pretty significant change. Autofocus, metering are moved away from separate sensors and onto the imaging sensor. The mirror box is removed and flange distance is reduced. You eliminate the prism. The need to hand calibrate the mirror and box is eliminated, The need for lens calibration is eliminated. If it were as minor as he's trying to make is sound we wouldn't see such a big move in the industry.
You shouldn't get condescending without even remembering - or caring about - the context of the discussion - that is, the analogy with film vs digital. The MILC propaganda would like us to consider that as a good analogy; I disagree, the DSLRs and MILCs are very much alike rather than different.
I stand by my words: the difference is the viewfinder system (more precisely, the reflex viewfinder system that defines a SLR). Any other difference, and I mean any of those, is a consequence of that. Some might be worked around (if one of the 3 DSLR makers left is willing, and they find a good technical solution). Some, like the register distance, can't.

---------- Post added 31-12-19 at 08:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
This is not about belief. Look at the mirror / submirror assembly.
Look at a D500.
12-31-2019, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #711
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Neither the KP nor the K-1 can take 24mp photos at an adequate rate for a sufficiently long time to satisfy some folk.
Among other things. The point is the K7/K5/K3 line fills a niche that neither the K1 or KP address. Similarly, I doubt the K-New
with replace the KP or K1 for those who value the strengths of those cameras.
12-31-2019, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #712
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Among other things. The point is the K7/K5/K3 line fills a niche that neither the K1 or KP address. Similarly, I doubt the K-New
A point is that members are using "APS-C" cameras for purposes that the K-1 cannot address - in native mode bursts are too slow and in crop mode images are too small; the KP's bursts are too "short' {the buffer doesn't hold enough}. I expect the "K-3ii replacement" to surpass the KP in every way - including price, which will most likely be the reason I never have one {unless Adam gives me one, in which case I will gladly accept and use it}.
12-31-2019, 08:23 PM   #713
Ooh! Shiney! Me Want!
Loyal Site Supporter

K-70, KP, K-New, K-1 ll, 645Z.

Your mouth to Ricoh Imaging ears.