Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 359 Likes Search this Thread
11-23-2019, 05:07 PM   #46

"• Initially, we designed [the KP] as a replacement for the K-3 Mark II, but we realised that we were selling it a lot more to non-Pentax customers."

I thought that statement was very interesting. If you want to grow your customer base, this is what some of your designs need to do.

11-23-2019, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
On the mirrorless side, it is likely that the parent company in Japan is taking the issue very seriously due to the very clear market evolution.
xxx
Ricoh doesn't seem interested in jumping on the mirrorless bandwagon.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
Mr Takahashi, President of Ricoh Imaging, flew in for the event - he was only over in the UK for 7 hours before flying back to Japan tonight. That's quite a commitment and was greatly appreciated by all.

He spoke about the new APSC camera and brought one over with him, but it was inside its glass case as in previous events in other parts of the world. He talked about Pentax staying committed to DSLR's and said that they were not moving into mirrorless as he believes that many people prefer the OVF over any other system. He didn't even say, "Well, one day we will". It just doesn't appear to be something that Pentax is going to spend money on.
11-23-2019, 05:19 PM   #48
Urs
Pentaxian

Thanks for all the info! Much appreciated!
11-23-2019, 05:47 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ausable Quote
we realised that we were selling it a lot more to non-Pentax customers.
I also thought this was a remarkable statement and a surprise as well. Head office in Japan made the comment a year after the K-1 was released that sales were roughly even between existing Pentax users and new-to-Pentax users, but the only comment I remember about the KP is that it was popular with film era Pentax users, especially in Japan. The feedback on this site is that Pentax DSLR sales in Europe are at very low levels, so perhaps this trend is based on a very small population of customers. Certainly, for the future of Pentax branded cameras, any sales to people who don't already have a shelf full of K-mount lenses is good and even better for the Pentax lens business.

Which is why any talk of launching a Pentax mirrorless camera as part of the L-Alliance without new Pentax lenses to go with it sounds dubious to me, especially when we consider the longer timelines for developing new lenses. Where will the camera market be in 18 months, and who is going to take a chance on going in a new direction for the next 5 years?

11-23-2019, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
L-Alliance without new Pentax lenses to go with it sounds dubious to me
Yes, it sounds like a lot of work for potentially very little reward, given that they will be competing directly against a behemoth like Panasonic in L-mount.

Better for Ricoh to simply get their best, most innovatibe engineers to figure out how to make a K-mount mirrorless body that is as compact as possible. Surely something significantly less boxy than the K-01 is possible. (But then again, size isn't the only issue - the newest Panasonic L-mount cameras are about as big as the K-1).
11-23-2019, 06:21 PM - 2 Likes   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
L-mount would:

1/ position Ricoh as a rather high-end offering (it's all a question of image after all, pin intended)

2/ allow Ricoh to iterate around GR. Not a GR, that one will always be single lens compact but around it.
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I can imagine an L-mount camera with Ricoh and Pentax DNA. Quirky, But Good.
I can imagine another iteration of the FA43 Ltd for the L-mount, given that there was already one for the M-mount. Then there’s the 77...
11-23-2019, 06:55 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Yes, it sounds like a lot of work for potentially very little reward, given that they will be competing directly against a behemoth like Panasonic in L-mount.
Is Panasonic really selling that many MILCs? I have not heard any market share numbers for them, so I really have no idea, but I have never seen one in the wild. Looking on B&H, the S1H is the 16th best selling MILC, the GH5 is number 23 and the GX85 is number 29.

Last edited by rangercarp; 11-23-2019 at 07:04 PM. Reason: added B&H info
11-23-2019, 07:12 PM   #53
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just read the entire interview translated by Bing. This was the most informative Interview I‘ve seen in years concerning the state of Pentax. Definitely a good sign. Interesting to see mirrorless translated as hybrid, oh well software is software
11-23-2019, 07:16 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Mirrorless? Available from Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, Leica and Sigma.

I don't see any reason, why Pentax should (anyway too late) join this trend. Especially when they are aware that the Pentax "fan community is very special because of its attachment to the brand" and well, call it conservative, but stuck to DSLR.

"In many cases, the father owned a Pentax, which he later passed on to his children, who themselves bought a Pentax camera. We therefore have a community that is extremely loyal to Pentax."

Yes, but that's only possible thanks to the mount compatibility.

Simply, I don't see is as realistic, that Pentax would switch to mirrorless and gain important market share (and profit). IMHO it's much better to concentrate on DSLR, continue improvement of the cameras and maintain the market share that they already have (thanks to the loyal community).
Very well put!
11-23-2019, 07:21 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxis Quote
There are millions of k-mount film cameras gathering dust in attics, being bashed around in charity shops, and flogged off at car boot sales. Anyone who successfully engineers a simple, effective digital back for them will make a fortune in sales.

Such a solution would be an extremely environmentally appealing product and could be updated and iterated as new sensors and materials become available.

Pentax/Ricoh would be a prime candidate to design, optimise and manufacture the devices.
Dream on.
11-23-2019, 07:45 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Sounds as if Mr. Farreng may have been injecting a bit of his desires into the mirrorless thing.
11-23-2019, 07:47 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
(...) Interesting to see mirrorless translated as hybrid, oh well software is software
That's because he says ' hybride' in French, which is often used in France for mirrorless camera.
11-23-2019, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #58
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Sounds as if Mr. Farreng may have been injecting a bit of his desires into the mirrorless thing.
The way he presents the 3-way alternative seems quite balanced to me.
11-23-2019, 08:06 PM   #59
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
That's because he says ' hybride' in French, which is often used in France for mirrorless camera.
Thank you, that would explain it more than a software translation hiccup. Just too use to other translation oddities, like getting the word ‘aircraft’ when Japanese words for camera bodies are converted to English.
11-23-2019, 08:22 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Ricoh may do a mirrorless, but will keep Pentax firmly in the dslr camp.
It would be ironic to use the Pentax name for it.