11-24-2019, 10:19 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree, I think this is a non-starter.

11-24-2019, 10:48 AM   #107
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agree, it would be better to do a series of special order small body mirrorless cameras or one with interchangeable sensor modules - Ricoh has done that in the past.
11-24-2019, 01:07 PM   #108

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
99% of which would never be operable.
What is the source of that data?

---------- Post added 11-24-19 at 12:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Dream on.
Everything comes to he who waits.
11-24-2019, 01:14 PM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Where would Pentax fit into the L-mount alliance? Leica for the highest-end lenses and bodies, Sigma doing their own weird bodies and wide array of [overweight] lenses, and then Panasonic for the rest of things. Pentax bodies positioned above Panasonic and below Leica, lenses above Sigma and below Leica, from a marketing and pricing standpoint?

Feels like splitting hairs. What would be really cool, to me, is a K-02 that looks and offers control layouts like some of Fuji's or the Nikon df. Try that out and see if it sticks, don't go wholesale ditching the k-mount to go mirrorless. Not yet anyway.
I see exactly the opposite. The point of Pentax is not to gain major market shares in possibly joining L mount alliance. It is to be able to provide pentaxians about to churn or ex pentaxians a ML body. We would also have a SL to K adaptor and ppl could use Pentax ML exactly like currently use sony ML I suppose...

11-24-2019, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #110

QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
One of the better ideas I've heard for a long time. And imagine, you could get different backs for them, like IR, Visible, UV, B&W no Bayer matrix Full spectrum for Astro work...
Thanks for your comment! I'm glad that at least someone other than I can see the appeal.

Although it would not give the advanced functionality of a modern SLR it would be great for people like me, who don't want or need all the whistles and bells. Moreover, I don't see it as an insuperable technical challenge.
11-24-2019, 01:39 PM   #111
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
Surprised that there hasn't been more comment about the final sentence re:video.

Allowing for translation errors that seems to imply that there is hope that Pentax/Ricoh will address a shortfall in this area.

(...)
Being the translator and French myself I can assure you that the English text, including the two open questions, is as close to the French text as possible.
11-24-2019, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #112
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
(...) I wonder if the binoculars will be branded Ricoh or Pentax.
The current ones are branded Pentax.

Binocular & Telescope | Products | RICOH IMAGING

11-24-2019, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #113
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And I much prefer your translations to relying on Google or Bing..again thank you.
11-24-2019, 01:45 PM   #114
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxis Quote
There are millions of k-mount film cameras gathering dust in attics, being bashed around in charity shops, and flogged off at car boot sales. Anyone who successfully engineers a simple, effective digital back for them will make a fortune in sales.

Such a solution would be an extremely environmentally appealing product and could be updated and iterated as new sensors and materials become available.

Pentax/Ricoh would be a prime candidate to design, optimise and manufacture the devices.
A few have tried. Nobody has succeeded apart from Leica with their Digital-Modul-R (but the R8 and R9 had been designed accordingly) and the manufacturers of digital medium format backs.
11-24-2019, 02:01 PM   #115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I can imagine an L-mount camera with Ricoh and Pentax DNA. Quirky, But Good.
Ricoh has maintained two separate and apparently somewhat independent image processing units for the Ricoh line and the Pentax line. I assume internally there is some commonality by now, but they carry two different labels - PRIME (using the Fujitsu Milbeaut) for Pentax and GR engine/Smooth Imaging Engine for the Ricoh GR. Also, Pentax puts their Acceleration Chip in-between the sensor and the image processing unit - while Ricoh does not say anything about what they do.

11-24-2019, 02:01 PM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxis Quote
Everything comes to he who waits.
Keep waiting dude!
11-24-2019, 02:13 PM   #117
Veteran Member

" Tomorrow, will we have to propose a camera dedicated to video, will it have to be a mirrorless camera? Several options are emerging but we have not made a decision yet."

I wonder why there is so little reaction to this last remark from Mr. Farreng.

Video is my business. A mirror in a video camera? I assume Mr.Farreng is talking about a dedicated video camera is strange.
By nature video cameras have the image continuously available for a viewer.
Ricoh will be entering a battlefield when contemplating production of handheld video cameras.
That share of the market is already divided. Not much chance of a newcomer to get a substantial slice of the cake.

There is a strong resemblance between Hasselblad and Pentax.
Both companies have to battle against competition from their own products.
They last so long that customers do not even consider buying new equipment.

50 year old Carl Zeiss lenses are still going strong. After a full service they will add at least five more years to their lifespan.
It is sad to notice their IQ is still competative with more recent lenses. That gear is simply to well designed and constructed.

The same goes for Pnetax bodies and lenses.
Every day I use 35 year old Pentax A series lenses with a DSLR with excellent results.
Only yesterday I decided to say good bye to my K20d with kit lens.
Only yesterday I decided to buy a couple of new lenses to go with the K5 I bought.

If I were to stand stand for a typical Pentax user the company is not going to live long.
11-24-2019, 02:41 PM   #118
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been intending to make this post for a while now. This Pentax interview was the most informative in years. I do think that one of the hold ups (of the new APS-C body) is the development of a new PRIME image processor. Since Pentax spreads PRIME support across the APS-C, FF and 645 bodies, in order to increase the FPS on the low end and also to up the rate on the mid and upper ends, they are going to need to have to increase the overall speed (bandwidth and thruput rate), especially with the Fuji 645 going to a resolution of 100MP. That was something that was not touched on in the interview.

Also, the K3II replacement - may be (pure speculation on my part) the introduction platform for some of their new patents / technology.
  • Ricoh OVF/EVF switchable hybrid viewfinder patent - this may be why Ricoh/Pentax came out about a year ago indicating that they believe in the OVF - and took a ton of ridicule for doing so.
  • Ricoh (Pentax) filed a patent for a DSLR cameras focusing screen - This may help in a number of areas.
  • The latest Ricoh patents (tilting sensor) - This would complement their ability to shift the sensor (composition adjustment).
Also Ricoh's imaging product portfolio does remain profitable - especially compared to Nikon. They have essentially moved all of their models out of the pure entry level pricing mode into the higher end of the range.

Unless Pentax has been sandbagging on the lens front, where they are engaged in a new mirror less lens mount (which I'll speculate as doubtful), then their hybrid OVF will try to combine the best of mirror less with their DSLR - via pushing for smaller bodies (i.e., the KP), and try to do double duty - being the best of both worlds.

11-24-2019, 02:52 PM   #119
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I've been intending to make this post for a while now. This Pentax interview was the most informative in years. I do think that one of the hold ups (of the new APS-C body) is the development of a new PRIME image processor. Since Pentax spreads PRIME support across the APS-C, FF and 645 bodies, in order to increase the FPS on the low end and also to up the rate on the mid and upper ends, they are going to need to have to increase the overall speed (bandwidth and thruput rate), especially with the Fuji 645 going to a resolution of 100MP. That was something that was not touched on in the interview.

Also, the K3II replacement - may be (pure speculation on my part) the introduction platform for some of their new patents / technology.
  • Ricoh OVF/EVF switchable hybrid viewfinder patent - this may be why Ricoh/Pentax came out about a year ago indicating that they believe in the OVF - and took a ton of ridicule for doing so.
  • Ricoh (Pentax) filed a patent for a DSLR cameras focusing screen - This may help in a number of areas.
  • The latest Ricoh patents (tilting sensor) - This would complement their ability to shift the sensor (composition adjustment).
Also Ricoh's imaging product portfolio does remain profitable - especially compared to Nikon. They have essentially moved all of their models out of the pure entry level pricing mode into the higher end of the range.

Unless Pentax has been sandbagging on the lens front, where they are engaged in a new mirror less lens mount (which I'll speculate as doubtful), then their hybrid OVF will try to combine the best of mirror less with their DSLR - via pushing for smaller bodies (i.e., the KP), and try to do double duty - being the best of both worlds.

Logical thought process for all points. Prime definitely needs upgrading across the lineup, hybrid finders would be a good, unique solution, tilting sensor would add to the marketability, and unless they’ve managed to hide or buy a complete lens assembly plant, proper mirrorless lenses would take a while.
11-24-2019, 03:07 PM   #120

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
  • On the mirrorless side, it is likely that the parent company in Japan is taking the issue very seriously due to the very clear market evolution.
    xxx
I'm not quite sure what does this mean when they say they are taking the issue very seriously...