Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2019, 01:09 AM   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
MILCs are loved by the press because
Just to make explicit the implicit - that's the part of the press who write about cameras as opposed to the part who use them

11-25-2019, 01:13 AM - 1 Like   #137
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Already available for $212 from B&H. Manufacturer is Novoflex, one of the best makers of adapters in my opinion.
If Pentax is the one designing the adapter we could expect something better than manual focus only...
11-25-2019, 02:15 AM   #138
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Five Pillars lacks completeness. Eventually:
  • Mirrorless (Probably Ricoh)
  • Application Development (Public API)
Yes, yes, yes. Yes please. Software is so important yet underestimated.

I have the impression that all camera companies do just the absolute minimum in software – just enough to make the hardware barely functional. But software can shape the entire experience greatly.

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Ricoh may do a mirrorless, but will keep Pentax firmly in the dslr camp.
Yeah, I hope so. I wonder from a business perspective whether it would be possible to have a modular approach in production – design basic camera that can be assembled as mirrorless as well as DSLR. So they would share most components and only a few ones would be specific to either ones, like EVF and mirrorbox.

That would reduce costs for development and production and at the same time target sales in both areas of the market.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
L-mount alliance is interesting. That would couple Pentax with Sigma again.
Not much on offer for Pentax from the other L-mounters (Leica and Panasonic) though.

On the other hand, L-mount alliance would gain a lot, I think, from an established consumer brand like Pentax joining. L-mount at the moment is rather too luxe.
I think the alliance would benefit from Pentax. It would fit in quite well. The question is, does that "pool" generate more sales opposed to everyone doing their own thing? At the beginning Pentax sure would benefit because of the available lenses. Later on, maybe Leica or Panasonic users would also purchase Pentax lenses? I think this is an interesting case to think about.
11-25-2019, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #139
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
EVFs to me need two things to overcome problems: faster refresh rates to eliminate any hint of lag and motion blurring (...)
Lag and motion blurring aren't a problem of EVF refresh rate anymore -120Hz is plenty enough- but of the sensor, image processor, etc. not feeding the viewfinder without lag and with enough frames per second.

11-25-2019, 02:40 AM - 1 Like   #140
Pentaxian

Once upon a time that was probably true. But not so much today.
You picked two exceptions from the rule.

I held a Panasonic S1R and it was very heavy indeed. Pretty big as well. Good grip but not quite as good as the grip of the K-1.
Most other MILCs are considerably smaller, though.

Regarding Olympus: No one knows what they were thinking.

Plus add lenses.
Of course.

For years I have been arguing that the "small and light" argument effectively evaporates, considering the size and weight of most modern lens releases.
That doesn't stop the press, though, to still sing the "more compact" praise.

Nowadays I am sure the press accept this.
Just wait till they review the next Pentax camera. Do you want to bet they'll state it isn't as compact as a Sony A6500?

Much of the criticism of Sony mirrorless even from sites like DPR is nowadays about ergonomics and usability rather than highlighting compactness.
They reserve that for their "opinion pieces" which potential buyers will most likely miss.

A potential buyer will read the camera review proper and perhaps consider a buying guide -- note that they very recently removed the K-1 II as a recommendation for landscape photography -- and in those pamphlets they are very reserved regarding criticism of their money-making darlings.
11-25-2019, 02:43 AM - 2 Likes   #141
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Five Pillars lacks completeness. Eventually:Mirrorless (Probably Ricoh) Application Development (Public API)
Which would make it the "Seven Pillars of Wisdom"

I interpret some of this as Ricoh reading the wind and considering whether a modest venture in to mirrorless (read "L mount") might serve the loyal Pentax community rather well. After all, an adapter that retained existing K mount capabilities would mean that a good range of lenses was already available and could be used on either the DSLR or ML system. There are enough people here using lower end FF ML bodies to suggest the idea could hold some appeal - one set of lenses, two fully functional systems.
11-25-2019, 02:56 AM   #142
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
If Pentax is the one designing the adapter we could expect something better than manual focus only...
Is it possible to make them an adapter with built-in motor for AF driving screw and lever for adjusting the aperture? It would be useful.

11-25-2019, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #143

Suggestion:

Ricoh camera. Small, discrete, ergonomic, 24 mpx. SR. Viewfinder to the left, telemetric style. L-mount. Rikenon lenses set: 35mm f2, 50mm f2, 85mm f2. Very small. With aperture ring. Just make what Fuji would do if they went into FF. Keep ultra-high quality, and large size, and rugged for K-mount DSLR exclusively. Sacrifice all that and create something small. Use all your knowledge from the GR line. Make it unique, against the trend.

Last edited by rodaballo; 10-13-2020 at 02:12 PM.
11-25-2019, 03:23 AM   #144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
But it could be something what Ricoh stands for.
Yes, of course, but they'd still have to do the development.
11-25-2019, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For years I have been arguing that the "small and light" argument effectively evaporates, considering the size and weight of most modern lens releases.
That doesn't stop the press, though, to still sing the "more compact" praise.

Just wait till they review the next Pentax camera. Do you want to bet they'll state it isn't as compact as a Sony A6500?
Absolutely right... reading DPR and their comment sections (I do have some masochistic inclinations it seems) all you read is "Pentax makes such big and heavy mirrored stuff", promptly ignoring that a KP with the 15, 40, and 70 Limiteds weighs 1.1 kg. The Sony A6400 with 16/2.8, 35/1.8 and 85/1.8* is 1 kg. Sure, the Sonys are faster and roughly the same size, but from what I've seen the Ltds run circles around them in terms of image quality. And I don't think that I would enjoy the feeling of the Sony considering how impractical the body is. Not to mention, the lack of multiple control dials in a 1k+ body is unforgivable.

*Sony doesn't make any APS-C prime beyond 50 mm so if you want a short tele/portrait prime you have to buy the full frame one.

Heck, the MILC conga line has gotten so asinine that I've seen a lot of people referring to them as "Mirrorfree cameras". Like what.
11-25-2019, 03:24 AM   #146
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Just to make explicit the implicit - that's the part of the press who write about cameras as opposed to the part who use them
Yes, unfortunately this part of the press nevertheless has a great deal of influence on buying decisions.
11-25-2019, 03:31 AM   #147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
And I don't think that I would enjoy the feeling of the Sony considering how impractical the body is.
I'm sure you wouldn't.

Even the DPReview choir boys wrote that the Sony A6600 (yes, these model numbers aren't made up; they actually make all these(!) ) slows them down and isn't as fun to use as it should.
11-25-2019, 03:36 AM   #148
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rodaballo Quote
Suggestion:

Ricoh camera. Small, discrete, ergonomic, 24 mpx. SR. Viewfinder to the left, telemetric style. L-mount. Rikenon lenses set: 35mm f2, 50mm f2, 85mm f2. Very small. With aperture ring. Just make what Fuji would do if they went into FF. Keep ultra-high quality, and size, and rugged for K-mount DSLR exclusively. Sacrifice that in favour of size. Use all your knowledge from the GR line. Make it unique, against the trend.
i don't think that a ricoh brand camera would have the same appeal that a pentax brand camera.. I agree with a selection of fast primes like 35-50 or a 24-50 f4 zoom as first lenses and that they should have aperture ring... but with a reflex shape. They could simply use the MZ-3 (or the MZ1 concept) or maybe the MZ-S design..

---------- Post added 25-11-19 at 11:43 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
I see exactly the opposite. The point of Pentax is not to gain major market shares in possibly joining L mount alliance. It is to be able to provide pentaxians about to churn or ex pentaxians a ML body. We would also have a SL to K adaptor and ppl could use Pentax ML exactly like currently use sony ML I suppose...
and consider that being part of the alliance ricoh could start selling their lenses directly (no more Pentax DFA50 / Tokina Opera 50mm) to a large market share... Maybe calling these new lenses "Takumar"
11-25-2019, 04:24 AM   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sure you wouldn't.

Even the DPReview choir boys wrote that the Sony A6600 (yes, these model numbers aren't made up; they actually make all these(!) ) slows them down and isn't as fun to use as it should.
Their entire APS-C product line is headache-inducing. The numbering makes no sense (A6000 -> A6100 for entry level, A6300->A6400 for mid range, A6500->A6600 for high-end?), the bodies are all very similar in both specs and shape and there's barely a lens lineup.
11-25-2019, 04:28 AM   #150
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EDstrg87 Quote
They could simply use the MZ-3 (or the MZ1 concept) or maybe the MZ-S design..[COLOR="Silver"]
)
That is a good idea. Using the MZ-S design would really make a difference !