Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2019, 03:07 PM   #181
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
^ Re-read what I wrote. I didn't deny the problem, I said lag and blur (too few fps) come from the sensor readout and the image processing time, not the EVF refresh rate.
OK, i did actually agree, the limitting factor still result in some discomfort when shooting.

---------- Post added 25-11-19 at 15:10 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
Yes. On the other hand I was really delighted to hear Mr Farreng clearly confirming Pentax’s support to all the three formats.
I am too, but concerning medium format, i factually desagree with him.
He has no choice though, but not to discourage or pre-empt last 645Z sales...

Last edited by Zygonyx; 11-25-2019 at 03:13 PM.
11-25-2019, 03:20 PM   #182
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Hmm, that doesn't sound too good. However, after all the Pentax officials' speeches, it does not seem to be a problem to use the name Pentax in the unlimited future.
Don't worry about it. It's only Mistral who likes to keep giving that rumour life.
11-25-2019, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #183
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A very revealing interview, although most of what is said is very obvious: Ricoh released one camera in the past several years (not counting the K1 mkII because simply being another version of the K1 ), and it is a mirrorless camera and it is selling exceptionally well, beyond expectation: the Ricoh GRIII. So of course Ricoh will be doing some serious thinking about where to go with their camera business, and it is impossible anyhow going forward to become totally isolated as the last company holding on to exclusive dslr technology. It's good the taboo on talking about this is slowly being broken.
11-25-2019, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #184
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Don't worry about it. It's only Mistral who likes to keep giving that rumour life.
What rumour? That Hoya hold the rights to the Pentax trademark? That's reflected in the World Intellectual Property Organization's Global Brand Database and was confirmed by Ricoh themselves.

11-25-2019, 03:44 PM - 4 Likes   #185
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Hmm, that doesn't sound too good. However, after all the Pentax officials' speeches, it does not seem to be a problem to use the name Pentax in the unlimited future.
I would hate a brand change - Richo sounds much worse than Petnax
11-25-2019, 04:51 PM - 5 Likes   #186
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
What rumour? That Hoya hold the rights to the Pentax trademark? That's reflected in the World Intellectual Property Organization's Global Brand Database and was confirmed by Ricoh themselves.
The rumour you started here on PentaxForums where you implied that Ricoh will lose the right to use the Pentax brand and which resulted in several other camera forums and bloggers going into a froth and referring to you as a "trusted source" and which led to Ricoh issuing a denial that they will lose the rights to use the Pentax brand.

That rumour.

Which was refuted by Ricoh here and elsewhere with the statement:

"Hoya is the owner of the PENTAX trademark, but there are no restrictions or limitations attached for RICOH to use the PENTAX brand in the camera business. We will continue to offer the PENTAX brand products including new items."

Last edited by MarkJerling; 11-25-2019 at 05:05 PM.
11-25-2019, 05:34 PM   #187
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
A very revealing interview, although most of what is said is very obvious: Ricoh released one camera in the past several years (not counting the K1 mkII because simply being another version of the K1 ), and it is a mirrorless camera and it is selling exceptionally well, beyond expectation: the Ricoh GRIII. So of course Ricoh will be doing some serious thinking about where to go with their camera business, and it is impossible anyhow going forward to become totally isolated as the last company holding on to exclusive dslr technology. It's good the taboo on talking about this is slowly being broken.
"Simply another version" is a really slippery slope - the 'accelerator' created more difference between the K-1ii and K-1 than there was between the K-3ii and K-3, or even between the K-3 and the variant of K-5 that came before it. Putting that aside, due to reasons we cannot understand, Pentax has had a long time between releases, and it is good for someone to be talking about the talking that is occurring out of our sight.

11-25-2019, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Maybe the Mirrorless Evangelism should not be brought back into the conversation. Wait a year or so and lets see how Pentax is doing with their "archaic" DSLRs before you pass judgement on them, you seem to be eager to pronounce Pentax dead.
11-25-2019, 06:16 PM   #189
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I would hate a brand change - Richo sounds much worse than Petnax
But is Rioch worse than Pantex?

At this point in the game I would not be overly bothered if the K-New had a Ricoh badge on the front of the camera.
Sure, I'd feel saddened if the Pentax brand ever went away. But I think Ricoh has proved itself worthy to keep
the Pentax philosophy alive and as such would feel as much pride with a Ricoh K-New as a Pentax K-New.

That said, I do think Pentax is a better sounding brand name.
11-25-2019, 06:33 PM   #190
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote

At this point in the game I would not be overly bothered if the K-New had a Ricoh badge on the front of the camera.
Sure, I'd feel saddened if the Pentax brand ever went away. But I think Ricoh has proved itself worthy to keep
the Pentax philosophy alive and as such would feel as much pride with a Ricoh K-New as a Pentax K-New.

I seem to be one of the few "faithful" who would not automatically object to a "Ricoh Pentax" ....
just as once the front of these cameras said "Asahi Pentax".
11-25-2019, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #191
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I seem to be one of the few "faithful" who would not automatically object to a "Ricoh Pentax" ....
just as once the front of these cameras said "Asahi Pentax".
I'm not even suggesting that halfway point, but the sacrilegious notion of Ricoh branding sans any mention of Pentax
altogether.

I feel like we're treading dangerous territory and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone skimming this thread
will reply in outrage because they haven't read everything in context.
11-25-2019, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #192
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote

At some future point the Pentax brand identity may have been so badly damaged by the likes of DPReview and Amateur Photographer that it has no net positive value. At that point RI would be wise to retire the Pentax name, perhaps coincident with introducing new Ricoh technology.

Given the extensive 100th Anniversary celebrations it doesn’t look like Ricoh Imaging thinks we are there yet.
11-25-2019, 08:11 PM   #193
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
I can’t even imagine shooting with a camera that doesn’t the Pentax badge on it.
I shoot quite often with a Ricoh film camera, complete with a k-mount, and it's really not a bad experience at all. Honestly it seems like one of the best compromises available; the control style I want, a size and weight that's manageable, and a good feeling (and sound) of quality to the thing. It's really not such a bad thing.

---------- Post added 11-25-19 at 09:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
...Given the extensive 100th Anniversary celebrations it doesn’t look like Ricoh Imaging thinks we are there yet.
I was really hoping for more this year to come out of the anniversary. It's hard to not be snarky about it.
11-25-2019, 08:14 PM   #194
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
At some future point the Pentax brand identity may have been so badly damaged by the likes of DPReview and Amateur Photographer that it has no net positive value. At that point RI would be wise to retire the Pentax name, perhaps coincident with introducing new Ricoh technology.

Given the extensive 100th Anniversary celebrations it doesn’t look like Ricoh Imaging thinks we are there yet.
I agree. If anything, I think the name Pentax still has a stronger image in the camera world than Ricoh. I only proposed
the 'what if' case as suggesting Ricoh is not a bad substitute.
11-25-2019, 08:19 PM   #195
Veteran Member

Very informative interview. Didn’t someone say that they expect those who bought into mirrorless to go back to DSLR?