Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 359 Likes Search this Thread
12-25-2019, 02:51 AM   #586
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Unless the K-new is *substantially* better than the Canikon offerings it will have no business costing as much as (or even more than) the K-1ii, which packs A LOT of impressive features.
Doesnt work that way because lots of us have K mount glass already, we are not going to buy new F or FE mount glass just to save a few hundred $ on a camera body. In the ILC business, owning long lenses increase the cost of switching lens mounts, slows down market share changes among camera brands. The reason why I have a complete Pentax system is because I was hooked by the D-FA150-450; if I didn't buy and use the 150450 on the K3, I'd have not bought the K1 and I'd be with Nikon.

12-25-2019, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #587
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What if it has to be priced higher than that, in order to offer the expected substantial performance boost?
Then it will be more.....
12-25-2019, 06:59 AM   #588
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Then it will be more.....
I have no empathy towards the folks setting the prices but I do acknowledge that it must be complicated stuff.
12-25-2019, 08:02 AM   #589
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
the folks setting the prices
On the Internet, there's a disconnect between a product and its price. In practice though, I suspect they're closely tied - and a product is designed with a certain price target in mind.
Some of the folks setting the prices might be the designers themselves.

12-25-2019, 09:04 AM   #590
Pentaxian

Possibly 2 way road 100 %new stile camera and price will be high typical pentax range as before with new model or if production may be behind they offer upgrade with new motherboard may be KP as they did before .For now we can only try imagination how much and what will be inside
12-25-2019, 09:31 AM   #591
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I'd be with Nikon.
You don't mean that!
12-25-2019, 09:34 AM - 2 Likes   #592
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Doesnt work that way because lots of us have K mount glass already, we are not going to buy new F or FE mount glass just to save a few hundred $ on a camera body. In the ILC business, owning long lenses increase the cost of switching lens mounts, slows down market share changes among camera brands. The reason why I have a complete Pentax system is because I was hooked by the D-FA150-450; if I didn't buy and use the 150450 on the K3, I'd have not bought the K1 and I'd be with Nikon.
Interesting you make that comment - Nikon has the most confusing compatibility rules I have seen - almost MacDonald's Farm with the AI - AI - Oh.

12-25-2019, 10:27 AM   #593

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Interesting you make that comment - Nikon has the most confusing compatibility rules I have seen - almost MacDonald's Farm with the AI - AI - Oh.
As far as I can make out the lower the tier the body the less compatible to "legacy" lenses. I guess Nikon thinks that an entry level camera owner couldn't deal with using MF and non-"Auto" lenses.
12-25-2019, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #594
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not so much that they couldn’t deal with older glass, rather the marketing people thinking that they won’t want to add anything more to, or continue to use their basic 1 or 2 lens kits. Basically, how many D40 or D3000 series kits were sold that sit in a closet while their owners just use a smart phone instead.
12-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #595
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Not so much that they couldn’t deal with older glass, rather the marketing people thinking that they won’t want to add anything more to, or continue to use their basic 1 or 2 lens kits. Basically, how many D40 or D3000 series kits were sold that sit in a closet while their owners just use a smart phone instead.
This past month. while we were in Florida I met for a while with my wife's cousin about the Nikon her husband had bought - but neither of them understands such basic items as ISO setting, so even "Green Auto" mode was beyond their combined understanding.
12-25-2019, 01:14 PM   #596
Pentaxian

This past month. while we were in Florida I met for a while with my wife's cousin about the Nikon her husband had bought - but neither of them understands such basic items as ISO setting, so even "Green Auto" mode was beyond their combined understanding.
Basically, they use it as an point & shoot camera...
12-25-2019, 02:29 PM   #597
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Nikon lenses are more complicated than Pentax users recognize. If I understand correctly, many of them are screw-driven, and the D3xxx and D5xxx cameras lack in-body AF motor. Also, they have the equivalent of aperture recognition problems, and someone who uses the wrong lenses with wrong bodies risks physical damage, not just an incorrect metering.
12-26-2019, 04:29 AM   #598
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nikon lenses are more complicated than Pentax users recognize. If I understand correctly, many of them are screw-driven, and the D3xxx and D5xxx cameras lack in-body AF motor. Also, they have the equivalent of aperture recognition problems, and someone who uses the wrong lenses with wrong bodies risks physical damage, not just an incorrect metering.
Nikon D lenses are screw driven, and you are correct to say the lower order bodies cannot autofocus with them. Some of the newer E (for electronic aperture) designated lenses will not set aperture on older DSLRs. As for physical damage, I think this arises only with old non-AiS lenses. The Nikon Df has a small lever device by the lens mount, which has to be raised to use these lenses without causing damage. I am not aware of any other Nikon DSLR that has this feature.
12-26-2019, 06:01 AM   #599
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Nikon D lenses are screw driven, and you are correct to say the lower order bodies cannot autofocus with them. Some of the newer E (for electronic aperture) designated lenses will not set aperture on older DSLRs. As for physical damage, I think this arises only with old non-AiS lenses. The Nikon Df has a small lever device by the lens mount, which has to be raised to use these lenses without causing damage. I am not aware of any other Nikon DSLR that has this feature.
A problem for Nikon users seems to be distinguishing AiS lenses - discussions between Nikon users leave me singing “AiS, AiS NO”” and then onto ‘old Mac Donald’s farm’.
12-26-2019, 12:43 PM   #600
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Nikon compatibility chart is atrocious. I gotta hand it to Canon there: 32 years of 100% compatibility, unless I'm mistaken. I would love for Pentax to give us Av on K/M/A lenses, it cannot be *that* hard right?