Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 359 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2019, 06:47 AM   #646
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Or really much better focusing accuracy and consistency in keeping target in focus. Better FPS, buffer, DR and good enough video. That is actually quite a bit already..
Some of these things might be a consequence of a new imaging pipeline with new sensor and processor and can be expected. Pretty sure AF will get new hardware too and profit from processing power. I would not be so sure about eye-AF, if this is what one wants (as this is hyped so much by the other site)...

12-28-2019, 07:33 AM   #647
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Whatever. Is there any law forcing you to license your technology to everyone?
No, and if you read my previous posts I said "Leica is the only one who could keep someone from joining the L-mount as the L-mount is theirs and they would have to grant a license, but other than a license from Leica I don't believe there is any restriction."

---------- Post added 12-28-19 at 08:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Do the Japanese even have *and* enforce anti-trust laws?
Yes and in some cases the anti-trust laws are stricter in Japan and the EU than they are in the USA.
12-28-2019, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #648
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dieseler Quote
Yes, the D500 was US$2000 at launch and is now US$1500 rrp, so I would not be surprised to see the K-New launched at US$1600-1800, perhaps not quite as much as the K-1II rrp but we will see.
Fully agree with you. I think comparing to D500 makes more sense than to K1 and K1 II.
12-28-2019, 07:43 AM   #649
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
So, yea, I'm a Pentaxian who'd very much like the K-new to have Nikon-like (or maybe Nikon-lite) tracking autofocus and frame rates.
This has been the problem for as long as I can remember. If you take the K-1 and give it AF-C and frame rates/buffer of the D850 you have an amazing camera that appeals to a much larger market. The frame rate and buffer are easy to implement as they are buying that technology from 3rd parties. The AF-C is the only thing Ricoh can't seem to develop and given that PDAF is pretty much ancient technology at this point its hard to understand why Ricoh can't seem to improve it. The argument has been made by people who know more about lenses and lens design than me that most Pentax glass isn't fast enough to keep up with fast AF-C so there is no reason for Ricoh to implement it until they get the lenses on the market, but at the current rate it will be 10 years before they get the FF glass line filled out.

Last edited by Winder; 12-28-2019 at 07:50 AM.
12-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #650
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Ricoh Imaging will make Pentax DSLRs and SLR lenses as long as there are people to buy them.

Then they will go back to being Ricoh and Ricoh only.
That makes sense to me.
12-28-2019, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #651
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Some of these things might be a consequence of a new imaging pipeline with new sensor and processor and can be expected. Pretty sure AF will get new hardware too and profit from processing power. I would not be so sure about eye-AF, if this is what one wants (as this is hyped so much by the other site)...
For what has been discussed at here lately, it seems that this K-new is new generation Pentax. So new almost everything. If it will be true, it will be good reason to stick with the brand. If some one would be going, or is on the fence. Perhaps no eye AF, but if there is more AF points, then it might be also more sensitive. So there might be something almost as good?

Looking forward to see how it will go. If it will be working well for this, it will be game changer in FF and 645 too. Not for whole indystry, but for some Pentaxians.

---------- Post added 12-28-19 at 21:08 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
This has been the problem for as long as I can remember. If you take the K-1 and give it AF-C and frame rates/buffer of the D850 you have an amazing camera that appeals to a much larger market. The frame rate and buffer are easy to implement as they are buying that technology from 3rd parties. The AF-C is the only thing Ricoh can't seem to develop and given that PDAF is pretty much ancient technology at this point its hard to understand why Ricoh can't seem to improve it. The argument has been made by people who know more about lenses and lens design than me that most Pentax glass isn't fast enough to keep up with fast AF-C so there is no reason for Ricoh to implement it until they get the lenses on the market, but at the current rate it will be 10 years before they get the FF glass line filled out.
Actually, Ricoh said that they will consentrate on making AF better. They said that they will have to start from the scratch. This is more than 2 yrs a go. So perhaps, this new thing is what they have been working.

BTW, for example my DFA * 70-200 is slower on my K-1 than it was on my K-3. K-3 did not have firmware for it. So perhaps it has been optimized for AF, what K-1 was capable to deliver? Some old SDM lenses are slow and nothing can help that, but these new lenses are different.
12-28-2019, 12:39 PM - 2 Likes   #652
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dieseler Quote
Yes, the D500 was US$2000 at launch and is now US$1500 rrp, so I would not be surprised to see the K-New launched at US$1600-1800, perhaps not quite as much as the K-1II rrp but we will see.
I don't want to wade too deep into this discussion. However, I will say 'very good' to 'excellent' condition D500's are being sold for 900-1000 USD on the used market and 1200 USD for new grey market (if that's a risk you'll take).

Those simply after a camera with the specs of the D500 will go buy a D500 today. Those more joined at the hip with Pentax will buy whatever is launched for Pentax... higher or lower priced.

What does this mean? I don't think Pentax is really competing in the market as they used to maybe 5 years ago in the same way. They are mostly designing and selling cameras for the remaining few Pentaxians around. If they get more sales, great. But they have shown little to no effort in really changing the hand they have with respect to growing market share or competing toe to toe with a Canon or Nikon.

In short: I don't see Pentax competing as much directly on specs or price; I strongly doubt Ricoh Imaging is looking at the D500 as their guide to 1:1 replicate. I'm expecting a 1200 to 1400 USD body with updated bits in a more Pentax all-purpose style.

12-28-2019, 01:04 PM   #653
Pentaxian

No, and if you read my previous posts I said "Leica is the only one who could keep someone from joining the L-mount as the L-mount is theirs and they would have to grant a license, but other than a license from Leica I don't believe there is any restriction."[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
Read more at: interview with Ricoh Imaging General Sales Manager for Europe - Page 42 - PentaxForums.com
I did read more in the first place, particularly the part which conveniently didn't survive to your selective quoting:
Leica is the only one who could keep someone from joining the L-mount as the L-mount is theirs and they would have to grant a license, but other than a license from Leica I don't believe there is any restriction. There are anti-trust laws against cartels and the L-mount alliance would find themselves in trouble if they were working together to restrict competition.
12-28-2019, 01:20 PM   #654

From what I have read. L-mount is probably an option. Panasonic and Leica (obviously) were going to develop for the L-mount regardless of what other companies decided to do. Sigma was invited as was Olympus. Were other companies invited? I don't know. Ricoh seems like a prime candidate for the partnership. Panasonic doesn't appear to be interested in developing on-sensor PDAF and they are going for the large body. Sigma will use a Foveon sensor. There will be a market for a manufacturer who can make compact FF bodies using PDAF sensors and there will be a market for compact glass. Everything from Sigma and Panasonic is huge and expensive... Leica obviously so. Panasonic is struggling so I don't see them adding more L-mount bodies in the near future. I think the 3 that they currently have will be improved via firmware updates over the next 2-3 years before we see new bodies as Panasonic will focus on glass. A GH-5 & G9 replacement should come late next year.

I really wish Olympus had decided to join the L-mount. FF mirrorless is where the growth is and has been for the last few years.

Ricoh has to eventually do something. This is not an industry where you can rest on your laurels. Look at what has happened to Canon and Nikon in just a few short years. They are playing catch-up in the market. Obviously Canon and Nikon are huge companies and they still command a massive share of the industry, but they have fallen behind in several key areas.

Leica is the only one who could keep someone from joining the L-mount as the L-mount is theirs and they would have to grant a license, but other than a license from Leica I don't believe there is any restriction. There are anti-trust laws against cartels and the L-mount alliance would find themselves in trouble if they were working together to restrict competition.
Not only just a compact FF L-mount body, but there's also potentially a market for an APS-C L-mount camera that isn't a Leica. The way I see it, the L-mount currently is solid, but bare, and quite expensive (catering to professional and luxury markets). I don't know if this would be possible, assuming Pentax would have to pay for the L-mount license, but if their contribution to the system was an affordable two-tier lineup (prosumer FF and prosumer APS-C, no entry-level, mid-range, or luxury/super-high-end tiers,) that could both be highly competitive in the L-mount system, as well as garner more interest for the L-mount in general.

Also, though there are a few FF mirrorless bodies that are very durable and well sealed, so far no manufacturer has the reputation for ruggedness as Olympus or Pentax. If for whatever reason Olympus really skipped out on the L-mount, Pentax's reputation could allow them to fill that slot for the FF mirrorless market. It's literally the last positive quality about Pentax that no one ever denies, so Ricoh could have some success promoting that aspect for for a MILC system.
12-28-2019, 02:03 PM - 2 Likes   #655
Pentaxian

I have no idea, why so many keep on saying L-mount and MILC. There is small change for what ever. I really think that Ricoh will come up with good solution IF they really need MILC. How it does look to me is that there is quite a bit corrections needed in these shortflange MILC lenses.

That will put many things on the table what might make it more complicated.

One more thing what might make it more complicated is that maybe lot of Pentaxians would not tolerate another mount. For other brands, their customers are used to that already.

Dunno, for me it looks like there is more to lose than gain.
12-28-2019, 02:32 PM   #656
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have no idea, why so many keep on saying L-mount and MILC. There is small change for what ever. I really think that Ricoh will come up with good solution IF they really need MILC. How it does look to me is that there is quite a bit corrections needed in these shortflange MILC lenses.

That will put many things on the table what might make it more complicated.

One more thing what might make it more complicated is that maybe lot of Pentaxians would not tolerate another mount. For other brands, their customers are used to that already.

Dunno, for me it looks like there is more to lose than gain.
Nicely put.
12-28-2019, 06:06 PM   #657
Pentaxian

Actually, Ricoh said that they will consentrate on making AF better. They said that they will have to start from the scratch. This is more than 2 yrs a go. So perhaps, this new thing is what they have been working.

BTW, for example my DFA * 70-200 is slower on my K-1 than it was on my K-3. K-3 did not have firmware for it. So perhaps it has been optimized for AF, what K-1 was capable to deliver? Some old SDM lenses are slow and nothing can help that, but these new lenses are different.
I do know that my DA 77-420 f/8-9.5 PLM {DA 55-300 + 1.4X TC} focuses reasonably quickly and surely on my KP.
12-28-2019, 07:56 PM   #658
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It seems fairly obvious to me the new camera will have
  • New AF sensor with many more AF points - enough to cover the FF viewfinder
  • New AF processing technology
  • Faster shutter than KP
  • Deeper buffer than KP
  • Flagship features RE external buttons, controls, card slots, etc. vs. KP
  • Touchscreen
  • Some sort of breakthrough technology (the unlabeled button)
I believe it will be available in early May.
12-28-2019, 08:04 PM   #659
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It seems fairly obvious to me the new camera will have
  • Flagship features RE external buttons, controls, card slots, etc. vs. KP
We already know what it will look like. I'm not sure what you mean about "flagship features" since the K-1 and KP have almost identical controls and buttons; in fact, I would guess that the KP is more like the "flagship" K-1 than the new camera is.
12-28-2019, 10:01 PM   #660
2B1
Forum Member

The L mount alliance , has little influence in the photography market , to be considered a Cartel.