Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2019, 03:04 PM   #691
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That is a consequence of the viewfinder system, just like the register distance.
Or the other way around:

- a short register distance implies no mirror, hence an electronic viewfinder if the viewfinder is TTL (on the other hand, an electronic viewfinder does not imply a short register distance)

- on-sensor contrast or phase detection autofocus implies a constantly illuminated imaging sensor, hence an electronic viewfinder.

12-31-2019, 01:22 AM   #692
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Or the other way around:

- a short register distance implies no mirror, hence an electronic viewfinder if the viewfinder is TTL (on the other hand, an electronic viewfinder does not imply a short register distance)

- on-sensor contrast or phase detection autofocus implies a constantly illuminated imaging sensor, hence an electronic viewfinder.
I would prefer the proper way around, because the longer register distance was added, together with the SLR viewfinder, to make room for the mirror.
And the second point isn't exactly accurate: a DSLR will work like that in live view mode; and a hypothetical DSLR splitting light not towards an AF sensor but the main imaging sensor would work like that full time.
12-31-2019, 01:34 AM   #693
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is there any other "big" show between new year and CP+ in february?
12-31-2019, 02:26 AM   #694
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
Is there any other "big" show between new year and CP+ in february?
Does CES counts? Probably not.

12-31-2019, 02:34 AM   #695
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would prefer the proper way around, because the longer register distance was added, together with the SLR viewfinder, to make room for the mirror.
And the second point isn't exactly accurate: a DSLR will work like that in live view mode; and a hypothetical DSLR splitting light not towards an AF sensor but the main imaging sensor would work like that full time.
Good points (particularly the second), but then going backwards the logic would be "if we remove the mirror box we can bring back the flange distance. Oh, we need an EVF for that to work".
12-31-2019, 03:48 AM   #696
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Does CES counts? Probably not.
Maybe for Theta or automotive products by Ricoh but I don't find them as one of announced exhibitors there.
12-31-2019, 05:55 AM   #697
Pentaxian

Original Poster
(...)
And the second point isn't exactly accurate: a DSLR will work like that in live view mode; (...)
Any camera would work like that in live view mode. Live view mode is nothing more than using an electronic display, if not an electronic viewfinder stricto sensu.

(...) a hypothetical DSLR splitting light not towards an AF sensor but the main imaging sensor would work like that full time.
Doing so would impose to split the available light between imaging sensor and optical viewfinder, leading to a worse performing autofocus and a darker viewfinder. No wonder nobody is proposing this solution.

12-31-2019, 06:35 AM   #698
Pentaxian

Doing so would impose to split the available light between imaging sensor and optical viewfinder, leading to a worse performing autofocus and a darker viewfinder. No wonder nobody is proposing this solution.
Unless the mirror gets out of the way, or somehow becomes fully transparent during exposure.
And currently, the light is split between the optical viewfinder and the autofocus module... darker viewfinder, I don't think so.
12-31-2019, 07:35 AM   #699
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
1. K1ii is the flagship FF

2., 3., 4. I would take that to mean the K-New will resolve these tasks in its own way. Different may be better or worse than
K3/K1/KP, user dependent.
While I agree with your sentiment, somewhere along the line I recall from an interview with Ricoh that they consider the K-1 series the "flagship", the KP is the "enthusiast" body, and the K-70 is "consumer". The Ricoh folks seem mostly to view the K-mount as monolithic, and not divided into APS-C and FF columns.
12-31-2019, 07:39 AM   #700
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What difference does it make what the camera looks like?
It does to me.

Lenses, too.
12-31-2019, 07:40 AM   #701
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Unless the mirror gets out of the way, or somehow becomes fully transparent during exposure.
(...)
That would be OK for exposure, not for focusing and framing when both the imaging sensor and the optical viewfinder would have to receive light.

(...)
And currently, the light is split between the optical viewfinder and the autofocus module... darker viewfinder, I don't think so.
That's because the secondary mirror that 'feeds' the AF module only corresponds to a small part of the primary mirror's area. If the autofocus were to use the imaging sensor, hence its entire area, the viewfinder would be visibly darker.
12-31-2019, 07:50 AM   #702
Pentaxian

If the autofocus were to use the imaging sensor, hence its entire area, the viewfinder would be visibly darker.
An OVF would be visibly darker. An EVF would be whatever brightness it is set for - but that is a different discussion for a different time.
12-31-2019, 07:54 AM   #703
Pentaxian

That's because the secondary mirror that 'feeds' the AF module only corresponds to a small part of the primary mirror's area. If the autofocus were to use the imaging sensor, hence its entire area, the viewfinder would be visibly darker.
I find it hard to believe. Particularly since there are DSLRs with good AF coverage.
12-31-2019, 08:09 AM   #704
Veteran Member

The autofocus system is different too.
He's just looking to argue. Changing from OVF to EVF is a pretty significant change. Autofocus, metering are moved away from separate sensors and onto the imaging sensor. The mirror box is removed and flange distance is reduced. You eliminate the prism. The need to hand calibrate the mirror and box is eliminated, The need for lens calibration is eliminated. If it were as minor as he's trying to make is sound we wouldn't see such a big move in the industry.
12-31-2019, 08:31 AM - 2 Likes   #705
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
While I agree with your sentiment, somewhere along the line I recall from an interview with Ricoh that they consider the K-1 series the "flagship", the KP is the "enthusiast" body, and the K-70 is "consumer". The Ricoh folks seem mostly to view the K-mount as monolithic, and not divided into APS-C and FF columns.
I recall that statement as well, though they never specifically said the K1ii had superseded the K3ii as flagship. Don't forget the
K3ii was still available for a time when the K1 was first released. But we, the noisy zealots of Pentaxdom have demanded a
flagship APS-C, so very soon there will (again) be two flagship bodies.

All of this is of course just semantics, just as is the term 'pro' body. It really doesn't matter if the K-New is a co-flagship with
the FF body. What does matter is that the KP wasn't quite the successor to the K3 line and quite a few Pentaxians were
not satisfied to move to FF as an answer. Kudos to Ricoh for hearing that audience, I among them.