It basically says, We are here to stay!

Thanks,

11-27-2019, 12:12 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Happy birthday Doomed One!
11-27-2019, 08:54 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Happy birthday dear friends !

Ricoh did put the K-01 in this video, yes they did !!!

A new rumor less is on it's way !!!
11-27-2019, 04:26 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Even more so, that 101 which is a strong message of intent to continue. Save a slice of cake for all the doomsayers.
^^This. Emphatically.

11-27-2019, 04:35 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice video. The Jedi Pentaxians live on. The force is Strooooooong!!!
11-27-2019, 04:39 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m a bit surprised the K1000 isn’t in there.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-27-2019 at 06:21 PM.
11-27-2019, 04:49 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I’m a bit surprised the K1000. Isn’t in there.
I’m uncertain concerning the K1000 - perhaps Ricoh is also. Pentax did sell a lot of them - but it was a klunky, mechanical, camera .... perhaps a half step above a Praktica .... there was nothing at all special, ground-breaking, about it. Perhaps Ricoh didn’t ‘honor’ cameras that did little besides give Asahi $$$$ and get the “Pentax” name in front of many schoolchildren.

11-27-2019, 05:56 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I’m uncertain concerning the K1000 - perhaps Ricoh is also. Pentax did sell a lot of them - but it was a klunky, mechanical, camera .... perhaps a half step above a Praktica .... there was nothing at all special, ground-breaking, about it. Perhaps Ricoh didn’t ‘honor’ cameras that did little besides give Asahi $$$$ and get the “Pentax” name in front of many schoolchildren.
There are several odd inclusions and omissions. MV1 included but ME Super not? Various compacts included but not WR90?
K-5iis, K-3ii, and K-1i included rather than the initial releases, (I think the initial releases represent the leap forward and the ii versions
represent their final refinement.) Digibino???, novel but how relevant to Pentax history.

I think the K-1000 is one of the most iconic cameras Pentax ever released expressly because it was designed as a bullet proof,
bare bones student camera. There's a generation and more that learned photography on that camera. How is that not significant?

Ultimately, that list comes down to one person's selection, a selection that could easily be different if drawn up by someone else
or even drawn up by the same person on a different day.
11-27-2019, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K1000

It appears that they wanted to show a camera for each of the years they flash up -- presumably matching the year of introduction.

I understand that the K1000 was introduced in 1976, as was the camera shown in the video -- the MX. So they might have considered the two and the MX got the nod.

Regardless, both the K1000 and MX have retained a certain level of familiarity and respect through the years.

- Craig
11-27-2019, 06:24 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K1000 is an icon.
11-27-2019, 06:50 PM   #26
Pentaxian

The K1000 is an icon.
The K1000 was a “Spotmatic” with a K-mount, as was the “K2”; apparently Ricoh felt that camera design was adequately represented.
11-27-2019, 07:15 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K1000 was a “Spotmatic” with a K-mount, as was the “K2”; apparently Ricoh felt that camera design was adequately represented.
Uh, no.

The original K1000 was basically a KM without depth of field preview and self-timer. *

The KM was basically a Spotmatic F with bayonet mount and a more modern look.

The K2 was the top model of the three (K2, KX, KM) and replaced the ES II screw mount auto-exposure camera. It was the first Pentax to feature a vertically running metal focal plane shutter which provided a faster flash synch speed than was possible with the horizontally running shutters in the KM and KX. The K2 featured Av exposure automation as well as match needle manual metering like the KX. Unlike on the KX the aperture set was not visible in the viewfinder.

* If you open an original K1000 the self-timer and battery check mechanics, and I believe the DOF mechanics, are inside the camera but the external controls have been removed. The K1000 is literally, not figuratively, a KM with the self timer and DOF preview levers removed. There is a hump on the top plate covering the battery check button.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-27-2019 at 07:29 PM.
11-27-2019, 07:30 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Uh, no.

The original K1000 was basically a KM without depth of field preview and self-timer.

The KM was basically a Spotmatic F with bayonet mount and a more modern look.

The K2 was the top model of the three (K2, KX, KM) and replaced the ES II screw mount auto-exposure camera. It was the first Pentax to feature a vertically running metal focal plane shutter which provided a faster flash synch speed than was possible with the horizontally running shutters in the KM and KX. The K2 featured Av exposure automation as well as match needle manual metering like the KX. Unlike on the KX the aperture set was not visible in the viewfinder.
OK, so I picked the wrong "original K". It was still basically a "throwback" even when it was first released, unlike the "M" series that were moving forward. That does not disagree with my major point that the K1000 does not fit into the theme of Pentax cameras that push forward.
11-27-2019, 07:45 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, so I picked the wrong "original K". It was still basically a "throwback" even when it was first released, unlike the "M" series that were moving forward. That does not disagree with my major point that the K1000 does not fit into the theme of Pentax cameras that push forward.
None of the K cameras pushed forward. They were all S cameras with a K-mount. Even the K2DMD was a K2 wirh several added semi-professional features. All they did was buy Pentax a couple years to catch up with Olympus after they abandoned the professional market to Canon and Nikon. The LX system was built around a fabulous camera, but by that time it was too late.

I find it hard to believe they didn’t acknowledge the single camera most commonly associated with the Pentax brand - unless they intentionally chose to ignore what is just a light-tight box with a mirror and a shutter. They put the K-x in there, which was a beginner camera just like K1000. It was one of two 2009 cameras so skipping K1000 wasn’t a one-camera-per-year decision.
11-27-2019, 07:57 PM   #30
Pentaxian

None of the K cameras pushed forward. They were all S cameras with a K-mount. Even the K2DMD was a K2 wirh several added semi-professional features. All they did was buy Pentax a couple years to catch up with Olympus after they abandoned the professional market to Canon and Nikon. The LX system was built around a fabulous camera, but by that time it was too late.

I find it hard to believe they didn’t acknowledge the single camera most commonly associated with the Pentax brand - unless they intentionally chose to ignore what is just a light-tight box with a mirror and a shutter. They put the K-x in there, which was a beginner camera just like K1000. It was one of two 2009 cameras so skipping K1000 wasn’t a one-camera-per-year decision.
Isn’t it just like Pentaxians to argue about exclusion of one film camera from a list?