Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2019, 11:59 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Next year (2020) won't be any anniversary of Pentax. What are they going to do without new product releases such as 645 update, and new lenses for the K1?
In 2020, what other kind of untertainment that replaces new Pentax product developments are we going to get?
Announcement of PENTAX 100 YEARS OF HISTORY campaign?RICOH IMAGING

From 2019 to 2020, we will organize a series of celebrative events such as PENTAX fan meetings,* while launching a selection of commemorative goods, both domestically and internationally.

11-27-2019, 01:28 AM - 1 Like   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Next year (2020) won't be any anniversary of Pentax. What are they going to do without new product releases such as 645 update, and new lenses for the K1?
In 2020, what other kind of untertainment that replaces new Pentax product developments are we going to get?
Who knows... but so far as this thread goes, it's nice to get a report of a positive and uplifting official event from Ricoh Imaging outside of its domestic market. At the very least, it demonstrates an on-going commitment to the Pentax brand - something to be happy about, IMHO
11-27-2019, 01:54 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How can you be so sure? (And negative...)

I'm sure you used to be a happier Pentaxian!
11-27-2019, 02:06 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Thanks for sharing such a nicely written report - congratulations on your win!

11-27-2019, 02:28 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Robot camera Quote
I had won.
Thank you for you report and your photos! Congratulations on winning this special item, it's really awesome!
11-27-2019, 02:59 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He talked about further automation in cameras but also said Pentax realises that many of us like to use our technical skills when using a camera. This describes me.
Me too - I personally can't understand why so many people are so enthusiatic about further surrendering control of the photographic process to their camera. Unfortunately though, the number of consumers who appreciate 'hand-crafted' over machine made in any domain has never been large in reality..
11-27-2019, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to be optimistic about what's to come next year. Unless there's some limiting factor preventing you from creating amazing photos, go out and enjoy taking some photos.

Last edited by dcpropilot; 11-27-2019 at 03:06 AM.
11-27-2019, 03:10 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If I am not mistaken the couple from Fleet were Terry and Harriet, classic car enthusiasts. Photo 7 certainly looks like Terry.
11-27-2019, 06:11 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Me too - I personally can't understand why so many people are so enthusiatic about further surrendering control of the photographic process to their camera. Unfortunately though, the number of consumers who appreciate 'hand-crafted' over machine made in any domain has never been large in reality..
I guess this is as hard as understanding why people enthusiastically labor to produce in their 'lab' that which automation would produce so efficiently. That difference existed fifty years ago, when I was using Kodachrome with its automation to record my world, and other artists like you were handcrafting prints - but we didn't have the Internet to talk about our differences.
11-27-2019, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

I hurried across the way to the appropriately named but very badly spelled Pryzm nightclub, and grabbed a cup of tea.
I think this is one of the most British sentence I ever read

Mr Takahashi presented the momento to me, and I shook his hand. It was, most appropriately, a Pentax pentaprism, engraved with “PENTAX 100 YEARS OF HISTORY” on the side that faces the focusing screen. I doubt there’s more than a couple of dozen of these in the world. It was in a finely constructed hand made box, with ‘PENTAX’ lightly engraved into the top face. I was very pleased.
That is wonderful!

I would have loved to attend such an event. I'm glad you seemed to have a good time.
11-27-2019, 06:29 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Wine glasses were handed out, and we raised a glass to another hundred years for Pentax. The prototype camera was unveiled. We looked at it, from our seats.
Mr Takahashi cut the cake, with a small katana like sword. He told us smiling that this was the first time he had handled such a blade. But before we could eat cake and inspect the prototype we all stood up to play rock, paper, scissors against Mr Takahashi. The winner would receive a special momento of the day.

The first round saw quite a few of us beaten by Mr Takahashi and they sat back down. Now, I’m not sure if there were one or two more rounds, but to my surprise and delight, I was the last Pentaxian standing; I had won.
Mr Takahashi presented the momento to me, and I shook his hand. It was, most appropriately, a Pentax pentaprism, engraved with “PENTAX 100 YEARS OF HISTORY” on the side that faces the focusing screen. I doubt there’s more than a couple of dozen of these in the world. It was in a finely constructed hand made box, with ‘PENTAX’ lightly engraved into the top face. I was very pleased.
14) The engraved pentaprism.
Congratulations on receiving the prism - I am sure that you will enjoy such a thing a beauty for many years.
11-27-2019, 06:49 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I guess this is as hard as understanding why people enthusiastically labor to produce in their 'lab' that which automation would produce so efficiently. That difference existed fifty years ago, when I was using Kodachrome with its automation to record my world, and other artists like you were handcrafting prints - but we didn't have the Internet to talk about our differences.
Yes, but you still decided on aperture and shutter speed and focal point before exposing (50 years ago you had no choice). The problem with automation is not that it does the job badly, - it does it increasingly well - but that it does the same job for every user. Whether that's a good or bad thing depends on what you want from your photographs and what you're photographing. Incidentally, I also mostly shot (MF) transparencies, but I used filters and decided on what exposure I wanted and how to achieve it myself - and no, those can't make a silk purse out os a sow's ear -the content of the image is the most important thing - but they can make sure you get the image YOU want.
11-27-2019, 08:03 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like to see these kinds of events, but...

that's an old room, demographically speaking, based on the photos.
11-27-2019, 08:08 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Yes, but you still decided on aperture and shutter speed and focal point before exposing (50 years ago you had no choice). The problem with automation is not that it does the job badly, - it does it increasingly well - but that it does the same job for every user. Whether that's a good or bad thing depends on what you want from your photographs and what you're photographing. Incidentally, I also mostly shot (MF) transparencies, but I used filters and decided on what exposure I wanted and how to achieve it myself - and no, those can't make a silk purse out os a sow's ear -the content of the image is the most important thing - but they can make sure you get the image YOU want.
Fifty years ago I had lots of choices - I could choose "ASA" {now ISO} based on which film I chose to use. I could choose shutter speed. I could choose aperture. Today I have more choices, but that is true of almost everything today. Fifty years ago I could choose what we call "Mode" today, depending on whether DoF or motion is more important to my photo - just as I choose it today. Today I review the choices automation makes once I have chosen "Mode" - and if I don't like the choice automation has made, I can over-ride that decision. Today - just like fifty years ago - I may make several shots, and then decide at home which settings I like best. My activities have become more efficient with modern automation, but I really don't see that much difference overall.
11-27-2019, 08:15 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
that's an old room, demographically speaking, based on the photos.
That was the first thing that came to my mind when I looked at the photos.