Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2019, 01:34 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Ricoh GR III - Won DPreview best compact/fixed lens camera award

DPreview rarely gives the grand prize in any category to a Ricoh/Pentax product, but now the Ricoh GR III won it's category ahead of Sony Cyber-shot RX100 VII and Leica Q2!
Our favorite gear, rewarded: DPReview Awards 2019: Digital Photography Review

11-28-2019, 02:02 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for your post and this is very nice news. Well deserved in my opinion.

I have a friend with a Ricoh GR II and he swears by it. It's always in his pocket. Great images that I have seen him produce with it.

I would be really tempted to buy a III, but the sticker shock is just too much for my liking. Maybe some day.

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 11-28-2019 at 06:52 AM.
11-28-2019, 03:19 AM   #3
Pentaxian

That's good news! In fact it pretty much confirms the great market sucess of the GRIII that Ricoh representatives talk about in their interviews. DPR favours popular and well selling products, so giving the compact/fixed lens camera award to GRIII is a good sign!
11-28-2019, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No a single awared Pentax product. If you want an ILC these days, forget about Pentax.

11-28-2019, 03:41 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Having a RX100, the main drawback I see is its small range which makes me often frustrated.
I could not use a fixed lens on a compact anymore
11-28-2019, 03:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
No a single awared Pentax product. If you want an ILC these days, forget about Pentax.
Honestly, we need some product releases to get an award for some...
I know there are the DFA* 50, DA* 11-18 and they may deserve an award, but honestly the Canon RF 70-200 is much revolutionary and the Nikon Z 85 F1.8 can be as good as the DFA* or even better.

-----------

Edit: And now I realized, the DFA* 50 is released in 2018, so it's out of scope.

Last edited by 08amczb; 11-28-2019 at 05:26 AM. Reason: correction
11-28-2019, 03:47 AM - 8 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

If you want recognition from DPR, forget about Pentax.
But if you want an ILC, a photographic tool that is, why would you care?
11-28-2019, 04:00 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

To be honest I can't think of any new 2019 product from Pentax that could have taken part in the award contest...

Last edited by redpit; 11-28-2019 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Typo
11-28-2019, 04:39 AM - 4 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

What Pentax products were released in 2019? I count two reissued lenses and no bodies, so it's safe to say Pentax genuinely
weren't in the running this year.
11-28-2019, 04:56 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, nice to get some recognition from those quarters, particularly if it helps Ricoh Imaging as a whole by boosting sales a little in the holiday season. That said, the GR III would have made - and apparently has already made - its way into many photographers' pockets on its own merit. Nor does the endorsement come as a particular surprise: the GR III is both a popular and a mirrorless camera. As far as recent Pentax DSLRs are concerned, DPR seems to have largely written them off as dinosaurs of little interest, nor much photographic capability.
11-28-2019, 05:04 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
What Pentax products were released in 2019? I count two reissued lenses and no bodies, so it's safe to say Pentax genuinely
weren't in the running this year.
DA* 11-18/2.8 right? Then again, that is a "high-end APS-C" lens, and to DPR that statement is contradictory, because apart from Fuji, if you want high-end you need full frame.
11-28-2019, 05:11 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
DA* 11-18/2.8 right? Then again, that is a "high-end APS-C" lens, and to DPR that statement is contradictory, because apart from Fuji, if you want high-end you need full frame.
Whoops, you are correct on that one.

I suspect it has more to do with lack of familiarity with the lens so they didn't even bother considering it. I suppose they could
have included it as a token gesture even if it never had a chance for consideration.
11-28-2019, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No single DSLR and circa 5 smartphones were considered - we do not have to discuss too much why no Pentax at all...
11-28-2019, 06:07 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I have a friend with a Ricoh GR II and he swears by it. It's always in his pocket. Great images that I have seen him produced with it.
I think most owners of a GR swear by it just for those reasons. I know I do.
11-28-2019, 06:11 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Good news that the merits of the GR lll camera have been recognized. I haven't used one, but did buy a new GR ll in Feb, 2019 and I really ...and I mean really like it. Great pix, robust build and although pocketable, I don't even attempt to stuff it in any of my pockets. I have a very small camera pouch (Vanguard brand) that attaches to my belt and that works out well.

The GR lll has evolved in a number of significant ways over the GR ll...but so has the price...if cost can 'evolve' .

The GR series are wonderful little cameras. I have an ancient Leica Rangefinder (date of manufacture 1951) and my GR ll reminds me of it. Size, well built, ease of use, quality of images it can produce and they can both be easily carried and quickly used. My Leica has interchangeable lens capability, but that's only potential, as although I've had it for approaching 40 years, I have only one lens for it...my even older Leitz 50mm collapsible, which has essentially rendered it a one lens camera..like my GR ll.

Both Ricoh 28 and Leitz 50 collapsible are fine lenses...pin sharp and I like both 50 and 28mm focal lengths...as good for general purpose.

Glad that even DPR has realized just how good the latest GR iteration is.

If I maybe so bold, I would say that in my opinion....for that matter ...some at DPR may realize how significant the GR series is, as a camera of value and uncommon but useful virtue. Even if the GR lll is from the Pentax/Ricoh stable.

They may not have come out and said it, but I don't know how any photographer could use a GR and not be impressed with these cameras.They're different, in some ways oddly utilitarian and certainly move to the beat of a different drummer...their drummer. The GR concept has been evolving away since '96 which is a long time in cameradom, steadily getting better, never changing for the sake of change.

It's been like other long lived product icons...the original VW Beetle comes to mind. Keeping the same essential external body but inside, always improving the inside 'works' and not being a slave to external fashion.

It's nice to see the GR lll get the nod from DPR as the 'best' in whatever category they placed it. Beat out some pretty solid and pricey competitors.

Last edited by lesmore49; 11-28-2019 at 06:18 AM.