Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2019, 08:03 AM   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The "new" Sony E-mount has been ridiculed by people yelling "Nikon's is bigger", and I don't see Sony suffering a lot of consequences.

12-19-2019, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The "new" Sony E-mount has been ridiculed by people yelling "Nikon's is bigger", and I don't see Sony suffering a lot of consequences.
but I am quite certain that Pentax would suffer the consequences of not being able to fill out a new line of lenses very fast, as well as dragging even more in developing new DA and DFA lenses - and their current customers are already making grumpy comments about how current development is ‘progressing’.
12-19-2019, 08:23 AM   #153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Exactly. A new mirrorless mount would need a fully-functioning adapter (mechanical aperture, screwdrive AF, the works) to not be an absolute failure, and even then the lack of lenses would be a death knell.
12-19-2019, 08:35 AM   #154
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am personally waiting for other brands to use an accelerator chip. So that it can be regarded as a true must have innovation that renders better colors while allowing less noise at higher iso. One of those cameras will be known as the best of the next decade.

12-19-2019, 09:23 AM   #155
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I am personally waiting for other brands to use an accelerator chip. So that it can be regarded as a true must have innovation that renders better colors while allowing less noise at higher iso. One of those cameras will be known as the best of the next decade.
Sony already has aggressive RAW manipulations and DP Review has basically let it slide, except to mention in the context of Pentax "the accelerator is like a star-eater on steroids." (untrue but shows where their heart is at).
12-19-2019, 10:35 AM   #156
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Exactly. A new mirrorless mount would need a fully-functioning adapter (mechanical aperture, screwdrive AF, the works) to not be an absolute failure, and even then the lack of lenses would be a death knell.
Yes, Pentax is slow enough with their lens introductions without having to worry about building out a mirrorless lineup; the only way that would work would be to have Ricoh sell the company to somebody with very deep pockets and a willingness to eat substantial losses in the short to medium term.
12-19-2019, 10:58 AM   #157
Pentaxian

I believe that Pentax lens developments and updates are slow. They should've updated the APS.C lenses by now. The star lenses need newer versions that can provide better AF. Older lenses should be made WR. As to creating a new mount, that would require major investments. I don't know if Pentax can afford it.

12-19-2019, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #158
Veteran Member

That is why the L alliance would be a solution. Ricoh can make a camera with the Pentax touch (+ other features that can be implemented on the ML but not on the DSLR). The advantage is that there will be no pressure on new lenses in the short term. A lens or two lenses (+ a K-mount adapter) will be enough for the beginning.
12-19-2019, 12:19 PM   #159
Pentaxian

There's also a possibility that the L mount alliance does not seek any new members. Leica covers top tier, Panasonic mid tier and Sigma the "affordable" tier. Not much room for Pentax really.
12-19-2019, 12:30 PM   #160
Veteran Member

Ricoh for affordable and very good cameras tier.
12-19-2019, 01:09 PM   #161
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Ricoh for affordable and very good cameras tier.
So... expensive products sold for cheap?
12-19-2019, 01:41 PM   #162
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Pentax products are sold for what they are worth; their fans always want them for less, but if we wait a few months, price and value even out.
12-19-2019, 01:50 PM   #163
Veteran Member

Do you have the impression that K1 is an expensive product sold cheap? Why wouldn't an ML be in the same price category?
12-19-2019, 02:04 PM   #164
Pentaxian

Do you have the impression that K1 is an expensive product sold cheap? Why wouldn't an ML be in the same price category?
The Panasonic S1 is already in the same price category.
12-19-2019, 02:27 PM   #165
Pentaxian

I don't understand what you two are arguing about. edri seems to be arguing that MILC is cheaper, but I don't believe the point has been made. If someone were to offer to give me either a D850 {priced at $3250 at B&H) or an A7Riv {priced at $3500 at B&H} I am not sure which is a better camera; certainly one cannot claim that one is clearly better than the other.