Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2019, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
DPR has come a long way from the times when they'd make fun of the K-01 on a regular basis...
They weren't nearly as bad as some of the people on this forum, who commenced bashing the K-01 from the first press photo.

12-10-2019, 01:09 PM   #32

I never really paid attention to what DPR said about Pentax, but it is nice they included the K-1 in the list. I have had mine for nearly three years now.
12-10-2019, 01:10 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
I remember them calling out the K-1 II as the worst camera of 2018, but they also listed it as one of the best cameras for landscapes for 2019 about a month ago. I think the discrepancy is due to their preferences for cameras that do it all (stills, video, tax returns, etc.) vs. cameras optimized for a relatively small set of given tasks.
DPR has a history of lacking enthusiasm for follow-ups in the same line if they offer only tepid improvements. For example, they were so underwhelmed by the Canon EOS 6D MkII that it didn't even merit a ranking. They recommended the Nikon D750 and Pentax K-1 as superior DSLR alternatives.
12-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #34

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
No, that wasn't DPR. DPR actually had a fairly positive review of the KP and gave it a silver award. It more recently got listed as one of the best cameras under $1000.
Someone actually said that about the KP? I want their name and address to have a chat! 🤣🤣 That's insane! That lil' camera is amazing!!!!!!!!

12-10-2019, 02:04 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kind of a strange list. Not sure any of the Samsung cameras was that ground-breaking. And they are not even in the camera business any more.

And the phone camera is more important than all the others put together in terms of changing the industry and the way people take pics. Maybe a GoPro would be a distant second.
12-10-2019, 02:31 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
'one of 20 most improtant cameras of the decade'

At least it wasn't one of the most impotent ones...
Ha!
12-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Pentax AF has always been an excellent tool for me. I know there are different AF systems made by different manufacturers, but I find that if I am really tracking subjects, using a proper depth and shutter speed, along with a compatible ISO, the results I get are excellent. Also, the results I get using either Pentax APS-C or Pentax Full Frame for landscape are excellent. Not that I am disagreeable with any statements that have been made, those are just my findings.

Last edited by C_Jones; 12-10-2019 at 03:28 PM.
12-10-2019, 03:17 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Pentax AF has always been an excellent tool for me. I know there are different AF systems made by different manufacturers, but I find that if I am really tracking subjects, using a proper depth shutter speed, along with a compatible ISO, the results I get are excellent. Also, the results I get using either Pentax APS-C or Pentax Full Frame for landscape are excellent. Not that I am disagreeable with any statements that have been made, those are just my findings.
My personal finding is that the AF I get from Pentax has improved enormously since I switched from K-30 + screw-drive 55-300mm to KP + PLM 55-300mm.
12-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #39
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
The K-1 is a really solid camera - literally. Peppered with buttons, dials and switches, it's an SLR in the classic mold, and one of the toughest models on the market. Specifically meant to appeal to outdoor photographers, the K-1 and its successor the K-1 II is one of the very few cameras we'd feel confident about taking out into truly awful weather. Backlit controls and neat features like 'Astrotracer' make it attractive to nocturnal photographers, too.

We said: 'The Pentax K-1 is a 36MP fully weather sealed, image stabilized full-frame DSLR that offers an enormous amount of features at a bargain price. Although the autofocus system fails to catch up with some of its peers the image quality that the K-1 offers is some of the best on the market and users will enjoy the ability to utilize the K-1's clever sensor shift technology.'

The K-1 was the first full-frame Pentax DSLR, but it isn't in this list because it had a significant impact on the wider photography market (although in some respects it was very competitive, especially for landscape shooters). It's included here because it's one of those rare products that deserves to be celebrated: a love letter, in effect, from a manufacturer to its customers. The K-1 was packed with all the special features that Pentax users had come to appreciate in the company's APS-C DSLRs, and being full-frame it was fully compatible with their collection of lenses going back decades - something that Pentax shooters had been waiting for, for a long time."
And yet the failed to mention the K-1's precursor, the K-3II with most of the elements listed. They also forgot GPS/ASTROTRACER. It's the little things they missed, but the K-3II had most of the characteristics mentioned as "most important" other than 135 format.
12-10-2019, 05:09 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Who is DPReview?
I love this answer
12-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
They weren't nearly as bad as some of the people on this forum, who commenced bashing the K-01 from the first press photo.
I don't think I would have 'bashed' it as a result of a photo - unless the photo clearly showed that it had no EVF.
12-11-2019, 12:17 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don't think I would have 'bashed' it as a result of a photo - unless the photo clearly showed that it had no EVF.
Many MILCs back then didn't have EVFs.
12-11-2019, 12:22 AM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
And yet the failed to mention the K-1's precursor, the K-3II with most of the elements listed. They also forgot GPS/ASTROTRACER. It's the little things they missed, but the K-3II had most of the characteristics mentioned as "most important" other than 135 format.
They did specifically mention astrotracer, and also specifically mentioned that most of the features were present on the previous flagship.

The quotes from the DPR page about these two specific points:

'Backlit controls and neat features like 'Astrotracer' make it attractive to nocturnal photographers, too.'
'The K-1 was packed with all the special features that Pentax users had come to appreciate in the company's APS-C DSLRs'
12-11-2019, 02:15 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
It lacks the third dial, cross-tilt screen, LED illumination (all very useful features!) and -I guess most importantly to DPR- being an APS-C makes it automatically less important.
12-11-2019, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

I still don't trust them in any review. I registered as a member and never made a comment. I stopped dropping in there since 2014. Always biased and never balanced.