Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2020, 03:52 AM   #526
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
With respect, that's rather vague... What's the source of the 24MP image you're comparing to?
Same image taken with a K1, converted to JPEG @ 36Mp and JPEG @ 24Mp, zoomed in on display to be equivalent to 1 meter wide print, at the edges it is impossible to tell the difference because the lens did not resolve the pixel density of the sensor at the edges. The reason why the difference isn't much , I guess, is due to lack of AA filter making the 24Mp version a little sharper than it would be on another 24Mp camera with AA filter.Another reason, I think, is the detail delivered by the lens to the sensor: there is only as much detail converted by the digital sensor as the details let pass through the lens aperture. The question I'm asking myself now, are high resolution FF camera really worth their price difference with the 24Mp version of the same format? That's not obvious to me, especially because 24Mp camera come with better video and significantly more frame rate.

01-17-2020, 03:57 AM   #527
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The question I'm asking myself now, are high resolution FF camera really worth their price difference with the 24Mp version of the same format?
I'll remind you the K-1 was launched at a "24MP entry level FF" price. So... what difference?
01-17-2020, 04:08 AM   #528
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'll remind you the K-1 was launched at a "24MP entry level FF" price. So... what difference?
I think the bigger point was that at the time of the K-1 release they had 24 megapixel APS-C which offered 8.3 fps. The whole point with the K-1 was to differentiate it from the APS-C cameras in the line up. And the D610 maxed out at 6 fps -- roughly 1.5 fps faster than the K-1, not a huge difference in many respects.

Pentax felt like they could do a D810-lite and price it quite a bit cheaper than Nikon's offering with IBIS and other features that Pentaxians appreciate. It is very unlikely that they could have taken the D610 sensor and undercut either it or the A7 by much, meaning that the camera would not have been nearly as successful.
01-17-2020, 04:37 AM   #529
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the bigger point was that at the time of the K-1 release they had 24 megapixel APS-C which offered 8.3 fps. The whole point with the K-1 was to differentiate it from the APS-C cameras in the line up. And the D610 maxed out at 6 fps -- roughly 1.5 fps faster than the K-1, not a huge difference in many respects.

Pentax felt like they could do a D810-lite and price it quite a bit cheaper than Nikon's offering with IBIS and other features that Pentaxians appreciate. It is very unlikely that they could have taken the D610 sensor and undercut either it or the A7 by much, meaning that the camera would not have been nearly as successful.
Right. I always thought that APS-C would be the better platform for speed, as it is bundled also with reach and a slight size-weight advantage. This is where the K-new might head to. To replicate the same concept with the same effective resolution on FF would be possible, but why? Ok, here you would get low-light advantage, and with existing zoom lenses you would have more DOF headroom. But if fps and buffer clearance would be my concern and resolution wise ~24 Mp would be enough I would tend to like the K-new. For a new FF I would expect a higher resolution, for landscape etc. it more and more replaces MF while still being cheaper, less bulky and more versatile, and this with a sensor in the 36-48 Mp range. I believe the pixel pitch of ~4.3nm will just be the goldilocks zone beyond this generation of cameras, with BSI and other tuning. This will give "naturally" defined resolution for many sensor sizes. Other models with diverging sensors may occur but will be catering special interests and niches (and I doubt the "cheap" niche is one of them?