Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 189 Likes Search this Thread
12-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I remain skeptical about DPR but nice to see some recognition for sure!

12-15-2019, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That wasn't even quality but sharpening. True, Pentax responded to that by adding further sharpening levels.

The K-1 II got the second worst camera of the year award, didn't it? They even lost that prize... to the "Yashika"!
dpr gave them the second worst review....because as they stated...there were not enough changes from the K1 to the K1 mark II. Now there's logic for you.
12-15-2019, 06:47 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Positive DPR review for the K1.
12-16-2019, 03:39 AM   #124
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
...there were not enough changes from the K1 to the K1 mark II. Now there's logic for you.
Yeah, because it is all about the "change" not about what you get overall, right?

In a way, we cannot blame them for preferring new cameras that are more likely to make people with older models upgrade to the new model.
After all, more camera sales translate into more profit for their Amazon overlords (provided Amazon makes the sale, which is made more likely by the myriad of Amazon links at DPReview).

DPReview keep reassuring readers that Amazon does not influence their work but the DPReview crew is quite big and running this operation is sure to cost Amazon quite a bit of marketing pennies. Consciously or subconsciously, DPReview staff must understand what will help pay their bills and what doesn't quite so much.

12-16-2019, 04:10 AM   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
dpr gave them the second worst review....because as they stated...there were not enough changes from the K1 to the K1 mark II. Now there's logic for you.
That's not logic, that is an excuse.
12-16-2019, 04:11 AM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Well I remain skeptical about DPR but nice to see some recognition for sure!
DPR keeps sucking and blowing when it is about Pentax. I do not spend time on DPR anymore
12-16-2019, 04:29 AM   #127
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
If I recall correctly (always a questionable assumption), the most valid criticism of the K-01 was the fact that
Pentax let an industrial designer (Marc Newson) with no notable photography cred design the camera.
It is fun to use under the right conditions (I have one), but it does not have great photographic haptics.
I thought the big issues with the K-01 were a mixture of being over priced at launch, combined with really poor specifications (terrible auto focus, bad buffer situation, slow frame rate, and no viewfinder). For some reason Pentax thought people would pay big dollars for a specially designed camera, even if it didn't function terribly well as a camera.

Don't get me wrong, I still shoot with my K-01 and I enjoy it, but it has huge limitations that weren't limitations of similarly priced SLRs that were out at that time.

12-16-2019, 04:56 AM   #128
Pentaxian

That's not logic, that is an excuse.
I agree, but I think their main complaint was that the accelerator chip was baking in heavy-handed NR to the RAWs. I haven't used a camera that has it, but some people seem to really like what the AC does, I suppose it's a matter of preference when it comes to noise removal vs detail removal/smearing.
12-16-2019, 05:47 AM - 2 Likes   #129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I suppose it's a matter of preference when it comes to noise removal vs detail removal/smearing.
Please give one documented, “printed” example of “detail smearing”. I have an ‘accelerator’ in my KP, and I have never seen it.

But, yes, they don’t like “baked in” ‘raw’ files, which simply means ‘raw’ files which have changes which cannot be changed back - but I cannot think of why someone would want to go back to the noise.
12-16-2019, 07:20 AM   #130
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I agree, but I think their main complaint was that the accelerator chip was baking in heavy-handed NR to the RAWs. I haven't used a camera that has it, but some people seem to really like what the AC does, I suppose it's a matter of preference when it comes to noise removal vs detail removal/smearing.
That is an excuse, too - "Star Eater on steroids but we never tested"?
12-16-2019, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #131
Pentaxian

That is an excuse, too - "Star Eater on steroids but we never tested"?
Especially since the only astronomy photographer to test the K-1ii and write about it
Pentax K-1 Mark II Astrophotography Review – Lonely Speck
found no stars missing. He doesn't like the fact that you cannot turn the 'accelerator' off, but he doesn't give any reason for not liking that.
12-16-2019, 07:38 AM   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've not really seen it in my KP either.
There were a lot of pics posted when the K1Mk2 came out trying to figure out if there was a loss of detail. I didn't come away from all of those messages with a conclusion that there would be any noticeable losses in the real world.
12-16-2019, 07:53 AM   #133
Pentaxian

Question - does the newest GR also include Accelerator Unit?

Because when LensTip tested K-70, KP and K-1 II they pointed out the NR. However, they didn't say the same about GR III.
12-16-2019, 08:17 AM   #134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Question - does the newest GR also include Accelerator Unit?

Because when LensTip tested K-70, KP and K-1 II they pointed out the NR. However, they didn't say the same about GR III.
The GR III yes, it has the accelerator.
12-17-2019, 05:18 AM   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Please give one documented, “printed” example of “detail smearing”. I have an ‘accelerator’ in my KP, and I have never seen it.

But, yes, they don’t like “baked in” ‘raw’ files, which simply means ‘raw’ files which have changes which cannot be changed back - but I cannot think of why someone would want to go back to the noise.
I don't have any examples, I'm just going on what people here have said. Some are very happy with the accelerator, others are not. I don't know where I'd fall on that scale.