Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 189 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2019, 06:26 AM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
I thought DPR hated Pentax, did they recently change their editorial line ?
Well, they ARE saying it's a camera good only for Pentax fanboys...

12-17-2019, 01:26 PM   #137
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I thought the big issues with the K-01 were a mixture of being over priced at launch, combined with really poor specifications (terrible auto focus, bad buffer situation, slow frame rate, and no viewfinder). For some reason Pentax thought people would pay big dollars for a specially designed camera, even if it didn't function terribly well as a camera.

Don't get me wrong, I still shoot with my K-01 and I enjoy it, but it has huge limitations that weren't limitations of similarly priced SLRs that were out at that time.
I agree. What I was thinking (but did not write) is that they focused on the form (by hiring Marc Newson) and almost not at all on functionality. As for the price... I bought mine when they were selling for about $300. The sensor is still excellent, so the photo quality with a good lens is too.
12-18-2019, 01:44 AM - 1 Like   #138
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I hardly consider myself as a Pentax fanboy. It was only in early 2014 that I bought into Pentax. The negativity over AF and other things being said are from people who I believe haven't even used Pentax. I chose Pentax after researching heavily after leaving Olympus. When I buy into a system, I make sure I like it to avoid jumping from one system to another. I'd like to avoid so much expenses building up one system to the next. Like I said I'm no fanboy, I like Pentax because it's right for my needs.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 12-18-2019 at 05:47 AM.
12-18-2019, 04:23 AM   #139
Pentaxian

If they say that, aren't they admitting their list is made to please the brand's fanboys?

12-18-2019, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #140
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
If they say that, aren't they admitting their list is made to please the brand's fanboys?
I think they're not fan boys. They're something else that I can't describe.
12-18-2019, 07:29 AM   #141
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I hardly consider myself as a Pentax fanboy. It was only in early 2014 that I bought into Pentax. The negativity over AF and other things being said are from people who I believe haven't even used Pentax. I chose Pentax after researching heavily after leaving Olympus. When I buy into a system, I make sure I like it to avoid jumping from one system to another. I'd like to avoid so much expenses building up one system to the next. Like I said I'm no fanboy, I like Pentax because it's right for my needs
I'm not saying they're right...

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
I'm also not saying their list is fair and objective. a lot of other products could have been showcased.

I guess Ricoh/Pentax should be glad their camera was listed at all.
12-18-2019, 07:35 AM   #142
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not saying they're right...

I'm also not saying their list is fair and objective. a lot of other products could have been showcased.

I guess Ricoh/Pentax should be glad their camera was listed at all.
Any list like this is subjective - good for long talks by the water cooler or multipage threads while waiting for real news.

12-18-2019, 09:44 AM   #143
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Any list like this is subjective - good for long talks by the water cooler or multipage threads while waiting for real news.
Only in the mind of the reader. Subjective is subjective, after all
12-18-2019, 02:56 PM   #144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Any list like this is subjective
I disagree.

There are certain aspects that constitute importance in the field such as level of innovation, redefining pricing categories, market disruption, influence on other products, etc. Once one has defined those criteria it simply becomes an exercise in evaluating each model with respect to them.

Some criteria further down the list may be a bit debatable, e.g., a potential "importance within a particular brand" but
  1. the main criteria are not up for debate, and
  2. as long as it is explained according to which criteria a model was included, readers can make up their own mind whether they think that inclusion was deserved or not. Either way, the list can be objectively constructed.
12-19-2019, 12:08 AM   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
But the criteria of "importance" is subjective by itself. You could make an objective list based on your arbitrarily-defined criteria, but that means that the list becomes subjective.
12-19-2019, 06:05 AM   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
I agree. What I was thinking (but did not write) is that they focused on the form (by hiring Marc Newson) and almost not at all on functionality.
This was a big mistake. Maybe if the camera had a viewfinder it compensates for the choice of that very expensive and totally inappropriate designer for cameras. Also, if they are still clinging to K-mount, they will not be successful with a new ML.
12-19-2019, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
This was a big mistake. Maybe if the camera had a viewfinder it compensates for the choice of that very expensive and totally inappropriate designer for cameras. Also, if they are still clinging to K-mount, they will not be successful with a new ML.
You and I have had this discussion several times.

I do not believe Pentax should leave the K-mount behind; need {at minimum} to continue developing DFA lenses

I do not believe Pentax has the resources to develop yet another mount.

I do not believe Pentax should join another group-sourced mount such as the L-mount.
12-19-2019, 07:20 AM   #148
Veteran Member

I did not say that Pentax should give up K-mount. But continuing with this old mount alone, they will not attract new buyers.
12-19-2019, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #149
Pentaxian

I did not say that Pentax should give up K-mount. But continuing with this old mount alone, they will not attract new buyers.
An unpopular opinion - I do not believe that new mounts are things that attract new buyers.

What attracts new buyers are new features, which certainly may, but not necessarily have to be, associated with new mount.
12-19-2019, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #150
Pentaxian

They say that Ricoh management is pondering various issues - I would be surprised if they decide to adapt a new 'in use' mount - such as the 'L' mount - because they would be inviting their current customers to move to other companies that they cannot compete with, and I would be surprised if they would decide they can support another mount. What people forget and forget is that a new mount has utility only if the company can find something that their customers want that they cannot provide with the current mount,