Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2020, 02:01 PM   #256
Veteran Member

Are there actual numbers of the model sells? I would be rather interested.

01-06-2020, 02:11 PM   #257
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
For digital Pentax K100D, K10D, Kx, K5 and K50 were the main bestsellers. K1 is just a tiny drop when compared to them
I wonder if the K-1 made less money than any of the cameras you mentioned... I doubt it was a "tiny drop", as it was the most expensive K-mount camera and quite popular.
01-06-2020, 02:13 PM   #258
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I wonder if the K-1 made less money than any of the cameras you mentioned... I doubt it was a "tiny drop", as it was the most expensive K-mount camera and quite popular.
It is available really cheap some time now, considering its a full frame at least.
01-06-2020, 02:21 PM   #259
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
It is available really cheap some time now, considering its a full frame at least.
It had been replaced by the K-1 II so it's no longer a current model.

01-06-2020, 02:27 PM   #260
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It had been replaced by the K-1 II so it's no longer a current model.
Yeah, i mean the k1-ii is really cheap now too.
01-06-2020, 02:40 PM   #261
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, i mean the k1-ii is really cheap now too.
Yes, one strength of Pentax is that they have managed to manufacture cameras for an inexpensive amount. I purchased my KP for $700 on Black Friday 2018, and the price stayed at that level for the following year,
01-06-2020, 02:47 PM   #262
Veteran Member

Would be interesting to see the actual earnings at those rates.

01-06-2020, 02:52 PM   #263
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
but the K-1 marks the point where Pentax finally return to its 35mm roots, and the camera finally 'suitable' for that wealth of film K-mount lenses out there.
The counter to that statement would be that APS-C cameras use the "sweet spot" of the film-era lenses, and thus avoid photos with soft edges or corners that many of these old lenses produce with 35mm film or FF image sensors. In that sense, the smaller APS-C sensor is ideal.

I have no personal experience with this, as APS-C is the largest sensor in any of my cameras.
01-06-2020, 03:14 PM   #264
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The counter to that statement would be that APS-C cameras use the "sweet spot" of the film-era lenses, and thus avoid photos with soft edges or corners that many of these old lenses produce with 35mm film or FF image sensors. In that sense, the smaller APS-C sensor is ideal.

I have no personal experience with this, as APS-C is the largest sensor in any of my cameras.
Unfortunately neither do I have any experience.

The 'wander about' lens on my K-30 has been a FA 28-105 lens ever since the K-30 began to suffer Dark Image Syndrome, but I have never used it on a "FF" camera. In fact, I have a collection of lenses that are dedicated to the K-30 {because each has an aperture ring}, but I have never used any of them on a "FF" camera, {most} not even on my "Super Program" 35mm film camera.
01-06-2020, 03:15 PM   #265
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
That is a funny argument because you are comparing the sweet spot of a 35mm at say f/1.4 on apsc to a picture you would be using a 50mm lens at f/2.0 for on FF.
So 2 different lenses at different f stops which are very different.
01-06-2020, 03:24 PM   #266
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
That is a funny argument because you are comparing the sweet spot of a 35mm at say f/1.4 on apsc to a picture you would be using a 50mm lens at f/2.0 for on FF.
So 2 different lenses at different f stops which are very different.
In the pre-K1 daze it was a fairly popular argument There was no (digital) choice back then.

For example: a F 35-70 (I currently own 2 copies) on FF may have soft corners when shot with a K-1 but be quite good when shot with a K-3. The FOV would be different, of course, but that is a factor the user keeps in mind when selecting the lens.
01-06-2020, 03:31 PM   #267
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Unfortunately neither do I have any experience.

The 'wander about' lens on my K-30 has been a FA 28-105 lens ever since the K-30 began to suffer Dark Image Syndrome, but I have never used it on a "FF" camera. In fact, I have a collection of lenses that are dedicated to the K-30 {because each has an aperture ring}, but I have never used any of them on a "FF" camera, {most} not even on my "Super Program" 35mm film camera.
Some of my Tamron Adaptall-2 lenses are so good edge-to-edge on my APS-C cameras that for several months it was in the back of my mind to pick up a "cheap" FF camera - like a used Sony A7 - to use with them. But a deep-dive into my true motivations revealed what I really wanted was simply to dabble in FF and test lenses, and not necessarily work on making good photos. Once I acknowledged that to myself the temptation passed.
01-06-2020, 03:32 PM   #268
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It makes more sense with a zoom. It is the same lens at least. You are comparing the center at 35 vs the whole field at 50. Oddly enough that comparison is probably good for me at 35 and 50.😁
01-06-2020, 04:42 PM   #269
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Would be interesting to see the actual earnings at those rates.
We used to have a member here who became a self-appointed pundit on Ricoh Imaging's financial performance and market share (almost always with a negative slant, I might add). It wasn't helpful or wanted by the community, and he's sadly no longer with us - but I'm sure you can find him easily enough over on DPR where I believe he's still active. I'm 99.9% certain he'll have a view on whatever numbers are available. Whether or not they're accurate or will be presented transparently, I can't say...
01-06-2020, 05:19 PM   #270

The K-1 definitely deserves its spot there. It shows you that no matter how stagnant and saturated the market may be, there's still room for innovation. Pentax have shown this time and time again.

And, it just goes to show that full frame cameras don't always have to be so damn expensive.