Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 189 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2020, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #496
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
As for the amateurs (myself included because photography pays itself and 2-3 vacations a year, but it's not my main income) it's a long discussion and it would have been a very interesting one if people would be a little more "open".
---
The problem is that once the first few comments are interpreted in the wrong way, people get defensive and it's very hard to remove the "fighting" mood and go back to sharing real life experiences that may help others.
The difficulty, Dan, is that we're a brand-specific site, the very purpose of which is the support and enjoyment of Pentax (and Ricoh) enthusiasts / users... so, when discussions like these end up with one or more folks pointing out yet again why brand or model "X" does something better than Pentax, or Pentax needs to offer more - which, despite best intentions, is invariably where we end up - then at least some of our core Pentax / Ricoh user base feels we've heard and debated it all before and takes exception (even if the intent was noble enough). Which is understandable, frankly... especially given the flack Pentax and its users are subject to in non-brand-specific forums. This is the one place where they'd rather not have that distraction. As a Sony user for a subset of my hobby, I'm acutely aware of this, and try to tailor my posts, responses and discussions accordingly...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-13-2020 at 06:08 PM.
01-13-2020, 05:16 PM   #497
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
But based on your style of shooting, you probably should emulate Winder and get an A9 or A9 II. They are going to way increase the chances that you will get that "special moment" and get it in focus. You'll get 5 times as many photos in a couple of second burst and certainly most will be in focus. But I guess we'll see what the K-new brings to the table.
Really its all about money. If I had enough I probably would have grabbed another camera, not necessarily to replace the K-1 but to compliment. I always respect shooters that cross brands, it shows they are passionate about photography and are picking up the right tool for the right job. I just can't afford more tools so I make do with the ones I have and work around their limitations. Like I said, I might encounter the buffer 3-4x/yr for very short durations (5-15mins). I think it's insanity to drop an entire brand and system for a flaw or weakness that makes up such a small percentage of your shooting time. You could switch brand only to be annoyed at some new unforeseeable short coming, swapping one flaw with a new one and perhaps even worse having that flaw or annoyance being something that affects your flow all the time and not seldom like how the buffer issue is for me.

Fingers cross the new K-new will fill a gap I think we have all felt within the Pentax line up. I can't see many people moaning if we get modern fps, modern buffer and modern AF capabilities.
01-13-2020, 05:59 PM   #498
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
He spoked more about the clearing buffer problem and about some issues with af, both of them being situations which are not too often a problem, at least this was my impression. You understood a completely different thing than me and you went to fps. That's why is difficult to have a discussion... we think differently, it's the language which sometimes give us trouble, it's also 2 in the morning here, in Romania and my mind it's not as "fresh" as it was 12 hours ago...
The A9 would solve any buffer issues as well as bump the frame rate.
01-13-2020, 06:39 PM   #499
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The A9 would solve any buffer issues as well as bump the frame rate.
The K-1ii delivers something like 6.4 fps in crop {<16mp} mode; the KP has three speeds, the fastest of which is 7 fps. We don’t know yet what “K-3ii replacement” will provide, but my original suggestion would deliver 7 fps of 24mp images, both larger and {slightly} faster than the K-1ii in crop mode.

Last edited by reh321; 01-13-2020 at 06:45 PM.
01-13-2020, 11:37 PM - 2 Likes   #500
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The K-1ii delivers something like 6.4 fps in crop {<16mp} mode; the KP has three speeds, the fastest of which is 7 fps. We don’t know yet what “K-3ii replacement” will provide, but my original suggestion would deliver 7 fps of 24mp images, both larger and {slightly} faster than the K-1ii in crop mode.
But, K-3 was faster that that, 8,3 (or something like that) fps. I would not expect less than that, perhaps even 9/10fps.

---------- Post added 01-14-20 at 08:39 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Really its all about money. If I had enough I probably would have grabbed another camera, not necessarily to replace the K-1 but to compliment. I always respect shooters that cross brands, it shows they are passionate about photography and are picking up the right tool for the right job. I just can't afford more tools so I make do with the ones I have and work around their limitations. Like I said, I might encounter the buffer 3-4x/yr for very short durations (5-15mins). I think it's insanity to drop an entire brand and system for a flaw or weakness that makes up such a small percentage of your shooting time. You could switch brand only to be annoyed at some new unforeseeable short coming, swapping one flaw with a new one and perhaps even worse having that flaw or annoyance being something that affects your flow all the time and not seldom like how the buffer issue is for me.

Fingers cross the new K-new will fill a gap I think we have all felt within the Pentax line up. I can't see many people moaning if we get modern fps, modern buffer and modern AF capabilities.
I’m absolutelly sertain that next flagships are going to cater us well, they have made big changes(ricoh) and it should not be that far from other brands. And it will be Pentax still. As we know it and are familiar with.
01-14-2020, 03:53 AM - 2 Likes   #501
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
But, K-3 was faster that that, 8,3 (or something like that) fps. I would not expect less than that, perhaps even 9/10fps.

---------- Post added 01-14-20 at 08:39 ----------

I’m absolutelly sertain that next flagships are going to cater us well, they have made big changes(ricoh) and it should not be that far from other brands. And it will be Pentax still. As we know it and are familiar with.
I agree, 9 to 10 fps with a buffer of 40 or 50 RAW images seems likely.

But the big thing is really that Pentax will finally have AF-C that can keep up with that, as long as you are using a non-SDM lens (at least I hope so).
01-14-2020, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #502
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Right.
We should keep in mind that "catering us well" is not the same as completely demolishing the competition in every regard
Pentax competed until now with a performance disadvantage. They can continue to compete with a lesser performance disadvantage.

01-14-2020, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #503
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Let's be clear that one of the things that Pentax will have going for it is actually the fact that they are keeping the OVF. As more brands abandon OVF cameras and launch new mounts, there are going to be fewer reasonably priced OVF cameras on the market. EVFs may be the way of the future, but there is a segment of the population (I am one) that struggle with them -- either because they just don't like them or because they physically have trouble with them. Having nice cameras that cater to those folks could be a benefit in the long run as other brands abandon their traditional mounts in favor MILCs.
01-14-2020, 04:27 AM   #504
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree, 9 to 10 fps with a buffer of 40 or 50 RAW images seems likely.

But the big thing is really that Pentax will finally have AF-C that can keep up with that, as long as you are using a non-SDM lens (at least I hope so).
Yup, I'd be over the moon with performance like that, even if AF still sucks I know with my own ability I'll get more keepers than what I currently get with the glass I love. I'm just slightly deflated its a crop camera coming sooner than a FF
01-14-2020, 05:18 AM   #505
Veteran Member

But it is about time to update k3-ii.
01-14-2020, 05:26 AM   #506
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm just slightly deflated its a crop camera coming sooner than a FF
QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
But it is about time to update k3-ii.
Yeah, us crop guys have been waiting patiently (well, some not so patiently )... It's our turn
01-14-2020, 02:40 PM   #507
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Yeah, us crop guys have been waiting patiently (well, some not so patiently )... It's our turn
No! You got the KP! ahaha Our turn!
01-14-2020, 02:44 PM   #508
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

We did, in 2017... and you got the K-1II in 2018. Oh, wait... is that... yes, I believe it is... check, and mate

Perhaps we should agree that we all deserve upgrades, to save unnecessary blood-shed? But let's have the APS-C flagship first...
01-14-2020, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #509
Pentaxian

Pentax has said several times that next camera will be "K-3ii replacement".
01-14-2020, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #510
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
We did, in 2017... and you got the K-1II in 2018. Oh, wait... is that... yes, I believe it is... check, and mate

Perhaps we should agree that we all deserve upgrades, to save unnecessary blood-shed? But let's have the APS-C flagship first...
But then... wait.. you got... the wooden KP grip version even later!! Check and dbl mate!!