Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
12-20-2019, 05:11 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I guess they produce K-mount batches like Sigma used to do with 8-16 for instance. As long as there are enough available lenses in channels Samyang do not need to produce more

12-20-2019, 05:27 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I believe the same lenses that are avilable for Nikon F are available for Pentax K.
That's not correct, my examples above are all available for Nikon F.
12-20-2019, 06:42 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
surely a quick note to Samyang themselves would yield a more concrete answer.
I did send an email to their general info account. Will report any news from them here. Since nobody here has actually seen a press release stating the end of production for the K-mount, I'll join the opinion of many here that the case reflects the reseller situation. Thanks to all for your replies.
12-20-2019, 07:17 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Is there a new one? There has been a 24mm shift lens for ages ... The latest two lenses I'm aware of are the 135mm f/2.0 and the 12mm f/2.8 Fisheye - both outstanding, but not part of the newer design lines. Maybe the 20mm F/1.8 was in between those two. But, neither the new AF 14/2.8 and 85/1.4, nor the Premium Manual Focus 14/2.4 are available in Pentax mount. Basically Samyang did not invest into the KAF4 electronic aperture protocol.
Indeed, I stand corrected. Samyang 20mm F/1.8 has been released in 2016, so quite recently, although it's a member of the oldest line of Samyang lenses.

12-20-2019, 08:01 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I wonder if this signifies more a shift toward mirrorless autofocus lenses, which would be more of a condemnation of SLRs in general rather than K-mount in particular.
If they dropped K-mount and Nikon F, for example, that would say a lot about where they think the market is going.

I can't imagine manual focus K-mount (or F-mount) lenses are all that expensive to maintain as separate product lines if you are still building for SLRs in general, since the mount and electronics are fairly well understood.
But I thought that about Lensbaby and look where it got me...

But if all of their future lenses will have shorter registration distances, there would be no simple way to build them for SLR mounts anyway, so it would make more sense for them to focus on short-flange systems, but that would imply discontinuing Canon EF and Nikon F as well (do they make anything for Sony A mount?).

-Eric
12-20-2019, 08:11 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I wonder if this signifies more a shift toward mirrorless autofocus lenses, which would be more of a condemnation of SLRs in general rather than K-mount in particular.
If they dropped K-mount and Nikon F, for example, that would say a lot about where they think the market is going.

I can't imagine manual focus K-mount (or F-mount) lenses are all that expensive to maintain as separate product lines if you are still building for SLRs in general, since the mount and electronics are fairly well understood.
But I thought that about Lensbaby and look where it got me...

But if all of their future lenses will have shorter registration distances, there would be no simple way to build them for SLR mounts anyway, so it would make more sense for them to focus on short-flange systems, but that would imply discontinuing Canon EF and Nikon F as well (do they make anything for Sony A mount?).
I wasn't aware that Samyang made any AF lenses.
12-20-2019, 08:39 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
(...) (do they make anything for Sony A mount?).

-Eric
According to their website, 14 lenses instead of 13 for Pentax K mount.

12-20-2019, 08:47 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I wasn't aware that Samyang made any AF lenses.
Canon EF:
  • AF 14mm f/2.8 EF
  • AF 85mm f/1.4 EF

Nikon F:
  • AF 14mm f/2.8 F
  • AF 85mm f/1.4 F

Canon RF:
  • AF 14mm f/2.8 RF

Sony E:
  • AF 14mm f/2.8 FE
  • AF 18mm f/2.8 FE
  • AF 24mm f/2.8 FE
  • AF 35mm f/1.4 FE
  • AF 35mm f/2.8 FE
  • AF 45mm f/1.8 FE
  • AF 50mm f/1.4 FE
  • AF 85mm f/1.4 FE
12-20-2019, 11:11 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't understand the Lensbaby decision. They should build one T mount version that all the less popular brands could use.

Samyang probably doesn't see investment in af tech for Pentax being profitable. Doubt they are stopping production of Canikon dslr lenses. Far more of those cameras on the market than mirrorless.

Thanks,
barondla
12-20-2019, 11:24 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Canon EF:
  • AF 14mm f/2.8 EF
  • AF 85mm f/1.4 EF

Nikon F:
  • AF 14mm f/2.8 F
  • AF 85mm f/1.4 F

Canon RF:
  • AF 14mm f/2.8 RF

Sony E:
  • AF 14mm f/2.8 FE
  • AF 18mm f/2.8 FE
  • AF 24mm f/2.8 FE
  • AF 35mm f/1.4 FE
  • AF 35mm f/2.8 FE
  • AF 45mm f/1.8 FE
  • AF 50mm f/1.4 FE
  • AF 85mm f/1.4 FE
  • Since the "front end" of each focal length has the same specs, most likely these are electronic front ends with the appropriate mount added on. It would be easy to build these as KAF4 mounts, but Pentax doesn't send out the specifications. Most likely they are decided that this mount isn't their effort, but they have decided to not bother - an entirely reasonable business decision to make.
12-20-2019, 11:58 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Since the "front end" of each focal length has the same specs, most likely these are electronic front ends with the appropriate mount added on.
They have different front ends for short and long flange distances (mirrorless vs. DSLR), even in the "Manul Focus" family, as can be seen from the lens diagrams in the data sheets. Their newer Nikon F lenses however, and likely the Canon EF ones, would be candidates. Not even all EF ones have been released for Nikon F though.
12-20-2019, 01:50 PM   #27

Photos: Gallery
It wouldn't be a surprise for me if they do. Anyway, I would like to hear an official announcement but I'm not sure that they will say anything.
12-20-2019, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
A continuation of the forum colleague's posting.
Do you think it would be the other way around?
What I think is that we don't know. Samyang may do huge production runs and may have multiple warehouses full of K-mount lenses. OTOH, perhaps they do just-in-time manufacturing.

An speculation based on what we don't know is, well, speculation.

Steve
12-20-2019, 03:43 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
Fact or speculation?
QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
A continuation of the forum colleague's posting.
Do you think it would be the other way around?
speculation or fact????

{doesn't make any sense}
12-20-2019, 03:53 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
As long as Ricoh supports Pentax, I would not care.
The thing is, if you want/need something like an 85mm f/1.4 Samyang is the only game in town at the moment. It may be MF only, but the only alternatives are a used MF Pentax A* (legendary and hideously expensive) or a used AF Pentax F* (expensive). Ricoh has announced a new one and will release it soon. Any day now...