Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2020, 09:57 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
I understand the News and Rumours section here is by definition inhabited by people who are impatient for new things, but I'm afraid on Ricoh/Pentax behalf that I'm not an exceptional outlier - I don't really care that much anymore. I have long since realized that despite upping the MP count, offering marginal gains in AF speed and better shake reduction the quality of my photos are rather constant thorugh the years and dependent on the time and energy I put into them. And I pretty much have the lenses I need.

So Ricoh have to surprise and wow me to make me spend money in their shop - which they are of course welcome to do. I suspect I'll rather be looking at a drone, an action cam or something with better smartphone integration. Something that will complement my DSLR by offering me new creative possibilities.

Now, go ahead. Shoot me. Put me on your ignore list. I do hope the K-New will be a success and you get those lenses you have been waiting for.
Yep. It’s all good. I wrote above, “Shoot with what you have.” That’s actually the state reasonable amateurs are in. IMO only the most addicted gearheads and pros who actually wear them out needs a new APSc body now. I know I don’t.

I assume the AF will be industry-standard competitive. I’m waiting to see what (if any) new technology appears on the camera and whether such adds to the experience or photographs..

Last edited by monochrome; 01-01-2020 at 10:11 AM.
01-01-2020, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
K-new will be released THIS year
..or later.
01-01-2020, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

I don't really care that much anymore.

While I understand most of your points, you SHOULD care.

In fact I also have all the lenses which I need (well, almost...), the only thing that really matters is to get a new camera every couple of years.

Without new cameras we can throw away all the lenses, right?
01-01-2020, 10:02 AM - 7 Likes   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
..or later.
Don't make fun of the Pentax engineers not always delivering on time!

They both work as fast as they can ...

01-01-2020, 10:05 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
For me it's the upgraded K-1. A very good camera, which would be "perfect" with AF and general performance improvements.
Two reasons why we need a new APS-C flagship:
- we are into wildlife / birding photography
- we have several nice APS-C lenses

For all the rest K-1 is more than fine. Even with all the AF limitations.
01-01-2020, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Two reasons why we need a new APS-C flagship:
- we are into wildlife / birding photography
- we have several nice APS-C lenses

For all the rest K-1 is more than fine. Even with all the AF limitations.
Of course there is a need for an APS-C flagship. One of my options is to get the K-new for when I need the extra speed (and distant subjects where I would crop), and keep the K-1 for the extra image quality.
However, if I'd get the K-new, I'm afraid I'd want the K-1new - and I don't quite have the money for both.
01-01-2020, 10:16 AM - 3 Likes   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
..or later.
Dude. THIS year.
01-01-2020, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Let me send you my address!

01-01-2020, 10:27 AM   #24

While I understand most of your points, you SHOULD care.

In fact I also have all the lenses which I need (well, almost...), the only thing that really matters is to get a new camera every couple of years.

You are right. I DO care that Pentax continues to put out cameras and lenses and I don't expect to have bought my last body from them. I am just not lying sleepless in anticipation for what feature they have come up with for the K-New or how many percent faster the AF system is. The features I would like to see are not going to happen.

We'll see soon enough if "general performance improvements" is enough to make the camera a success.
01-01-2020, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #25
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

We'll see soon enough if "general performance improvements" is enough to make the camera a success.
From what I keep hearing from K-7/5/3 users, a KP with larger buffer, larger battery, and top LCD would be a success. Pentax could have delivered that a year ago.The Pentax engineers who attended the "100th" celebration were reported to be 'excited'; from my experience, salesmen easily get excited, but not engineers, which is why I specifically asked makeup of those from Japan. We have every reason to believe this camera is actually way beyond current cameras.
01-01-2020, 10:35 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

..or later.
That's the spirit!
01-01-2020, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

You are right. I DO care that Pentax continues to put out cameras and lenses and I don't expect to have bought my last body from them. I am just not lying sleepless in anticipation for what feature they have come up with for the K-New or how many percent faster the AF system is. The features I would like to see are not going to happen.

Even if there are zero improvements, the lifetime of digital cameras (like my K-7 or K-3) is limited. So we all need new cameras anyway. Will there be improvements? Well, that's a nice bonus.
01-01-2020, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm (hopefully) not a buyer this year - K-3 II, K-70, K-01 is enough for me - but I'll be excited and interested when the K-New is released.
01-01-2020, 10:50 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I'm (hopefully) not a buyer this year
That's what you tell yourself now...
01-01-2020, 10:51 AM   #30
Veteran Member

So Ricoh have to surprise and wow me to make me spend money in their shop - which they are of course welcome to do.
I suspect the K mew won't be radically different of a K-3, except it (the new model) will be available for purchase, hopefully.