Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 168 Likes Search this Thread
01-01-2020, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is going to be an exciting year.

Unfortunately, I don't expect new releases to improve some folk's sense of gloom. But the '20s are bound to be the decade of the Pentaxian!

01-01-2020, 11:00 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Let me send you my address!
Not yet. Anyway I hope that day (when Pentax would stop making K-mount cameras) won't ever come .

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
You are right. I DO care that Pentax continues to put out cameras and lenses and I don't expect to have bought my last body from them. I am just not lying sleepless in anticipation for what feature they have come up with for the K-New or how many percent faster the AF system is. The features I would like to see are not going to happen.

We'll see soon enough if "general performance improvements" is enough to make the camera a success.
While I don't understand why so many people cry for new lenses, I realize that without new cameras we would be at the end.

I bought my K-7 back in 2009 and K-3 in 2014. Every 5 years a new camera? Sounds reasonable to me.
(Even my K-1 is from 2016...! Time flies fast.)
01-01-2020, 11:06 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So glad I'm going to be winning one - don't have the budget right now
01-01-2020, 11:26 AM   #34

I hope so. It’s the only major thing on my shopping list for 2020.

01-01-2020, 11:31 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hypermodern Quote
I hope so. It’s the only major thing on my shopping list for 2020.
So you saved money since it wasn't available last year??
01-01-2020, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I suspect the K mew won't be radically different of a K-3, except it (the new model) will be available for purchase, hopefully.
Well it will be a DSLR. If we wanted a coffee maker we would get a K-cup machine, not a K-mount one
01-01-2020, 11:46 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Pentax releases things when they are ready.
People obsess too much about the DFA* 85.
We obsess about the non existence of new lenses for the new ff system. A camera without lenses is not much fun. I am sure, Pentax is also not happy with its schedule and so are many of us.

It is actually good news that we are only obsessed about the 85 not asking for a lot more lenses that are on the road map or even additional lenses that did not even make it on the road map. I am independent from Pentax‘ schedule and do not care when they are ready. Currently the Pentax feature set is still convincing and the longer the wait, the sooner new glass will appear, but I am not waiting for Pentax to be ready. I stopped buying new Pentax gear for years. Competition is alive, Pentax only puts out notes of possible developments.

01-01-2020, 11:50 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
That's what you tell yourself now...
If I buy a camera this year that would indicate a body has broken down - either one of my Pentaxes, or my own.
01-01-2020, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
We obsess about the non existence of new lenses for the new ff system. A camera without lenses is not much fun. I am sure, Pentax is also not happy with its schedule and so are many of us.

It is actually good news that we are only obsessed about the 85 not asking for a lot more lenses that are on the road map or even additional lenses that did not even make it on the road map. I am independent from Pentax‘ schedule and do not care when they are ready. Currently the Pentax feature set is still convincing and the longer the wait, the sooner new glass will appear, but I am not waiting for Pentax to be ready. I stopped buying new Pentax gear for years. Competition is alive, Pentax only puts out notes of possible developments.
Before the K-1 was released all I heard was "Give us a camera so our lenses can be themselves". Nobody ever said that Pentax would have to release a mountain of lenses also. 85mm, at least in full frame, is considered to be a "portrait lens". Portraits need to be sharp in the center, and nobody much considers the edges. Also, portraits take time, so manual focusing should be just fine. If I worked for Pentax I would notice that there are over 400 85mm lenses appropriate for use on a K-1 available on eBay this morning, and I would wonder how well a DFA 85mm lens would sell.

added: but the "K-3ii replacement" is a different story - Pentax users have waited almost two years for any camera body - it is past time to provide one!!
01-01-2020, 11:57 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
We obsess about the non existence of new lenses for the new ff system. A camera without lenses is not much fun.
There is diverging interest between full framers and crop framers, reh321 is a crop framer (and a fan of KP).
01-01-2020, 12:02 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
There is diverging interest between full framers and crop framers, reh321 is a crop framer (and a fan of KP).
Can anyone claim that the "K-3ii replacement" is less important than a DFA*85, when the K-3 shelves have been 'bare' for over a year and there are plenty of "FF" 85mm lenses available?????
01-01-2020, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Even if there are zero improvements, the lifetime of digital cameras (like my K-7 or K-3) is limited. So we all need new cameras anyway. Will there be improvements? Well, that's a nice bonus.
Well, my K10D is still working perfectly, so the life of the camera is fairly generous for the active amateur.
01-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Can anyone claim that the "K-3ii replacement" is less important than a DFA*85
One is a body, the other is a lens. Both are equally important since both aren't on the shelf.
01-01-2020, 12:17 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your needs and wants are unique to you, as are monochrome's to him, as are mine to me - nobody should be yelling at anyone else.

But there have been people waiting for this, typically users of a K-3, or even a K-5 or K-7. These are people who do not want to purchase a drone or an action cam, just to advance their photography along the line they have been following, who have been wondering for over a year now what, or even whether, Pentax will provide for them. We should all celebrate that it is finally happening!!!
No these chronic complainers will find an excuse why this particular iteration of Pentax cameras is not for them but if Ricoh/Pentax would just make what I want them to make I would buy one.

Last edited by Larrymc; 01-01-2020 at 01:41 PM.
01-01-2020, 12:20 PM - 7 Likes   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
So much for trying to make a positive thread for the new year. Jeez. I might have to Ignore my own thread.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-01-2020 at 02:05 PM.