Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2008, 05:53 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax Medium Format Patent

You guys might be interested in...

Pentax Medium Format Patent Photography Bay | Digital Camera Reviews, News and Resources

10-23-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ariahspam Quote
I read through that, and did a quick search on a relay finder, but I can't figure out what it is supposed to do.
10-23-2008, 06:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The recent filing date is the real news here, I think. It demonstrates that it's not just hot air behind the recent rumors.

But it looks like in summary the patent covers a solution for a magnifying viewfinder with a good eyepoint, good magnification, accurate optics, and a small size.
10-23-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
The recent filing date is the real news here, I think. It demonstrates that it's not just hot air behind the recent rumors.

But it looks like in summary the patent covers a solution for a magnifying viewfinder with a good eyepoint, good magnification, accurate optics, and a small size.
Precisely. What this implies is that Pentax is focusing on MF. Or just that some engineer had some idea.

10-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #5

me no money (~10k) for MF...maybe FF ~3k is good...or MF ~3k even better
10-23-2008, 09:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

looks like Nikon's gonna go the MF route for higher MP and beat Pentax to the punch but that will piss off tonnes of people holding Nikon glass waiting for more resolution
10-23-2008, 09:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

its never been hot air, they've had 4? prototypes so far (none of which have the latest mentioned 40-50mp sensor), its just getting them to release one

10-24-2008, 02:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

a solution for a magnifying viewfinder with a good eyepoint, good magnification, accurate optics, and a small size.
Do you think that it is applicable on an APC to magnify the view finder as well? A 1.1x magnification ratio would be nice for the K30/Kx top model
10-24-2008, 07:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
looks like Nikon's gonna go the MF route for higher MP and beat Pentax to the punch but that will piss off tonnes of people holding Nikon glass waiting for more resolution
If you're looking at the announcement they're gonna pull off at the wedding photographers' conference, I think it's more likely to be the heavy MP brother to the D3 than an MF camera. Just a guess.
10-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
If you're looking at the announcement they're gonna pull off at the wedding photographers' conference, I think it's more likely to be the heavy MP brother to the D3 than an MF camera. Just a guess.
have you seen this ad here? looks like no AF motor ... but who knows really :S
Nikon “Big” Ad Photography Bay | Digital Camera Reviews, News and Resources

Last edited by k100d; 10-24-2008 at 09:02 AM.
10-24-2008, 02:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

its been rumored for a long while that nikon will produce a cam with the sony 24mp sensor (like the one in a900)
10-24-2008, 02:19 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw the ad yesterday about the Pentax medium format camera possibility. It makes sense. Not much point in trying to compete with the big Canons and Nikons. Pentax already has a legacy in medium format to draw on so if they can bring one in at a good price point (Well under the Mamiya's, Leaf's and PhaseOne's of the world) I think that wold help with marketing and advertising the Pentax brand.
10-24-2008, 03:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Pentax has always considered MF to be the Pro level cameras, not 35mm sized slrs. Now with the mp wars with C and N it only makes sense to go the MF route where it COULD both be profitable and bring back some prestige to the brand.
10-24-2008, 11:47 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
Pentax has always considered MF to be the Pro level cameras, not 35mm sized slrs. Now with the mp wars with C and N it only makes sense to go the MF route where it COULD both be profitable and bring back some prestige to the brand.
With the new marketing team, it sure has a chance!
10-25-2008, 04:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ariahspam Quote
Precisely. What this implies is that Pentax is focusing on MF. Or just that some engineer had some idea.
Yeah. It looks like minimizing the focus screen image on entry to pentaprism and magnifying back on exit to the ocular (eye piece). Making smaller the whole pentaprism box. Isn't this exactly the kind of stuff Pentax ... is called Pentax?

I'm glad to see that somebody cares about the size of digital MF cameras. Not that I expect to be able to afford one. But... Those digital MF cameras in the field (Hasselblad, Leica S2 etc.) are true size monsters! They really don't belong into the 21th century...

Somebody should be able to do a smarter MF camera. Why not Pentax?