Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2008, 04:41 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Yeah. It looks like minimizing the focus screen image on entry to pentaprism and magnifying back on exit to the ocular (eye piece). Making smaller the whole pentaprism box. Isn't this exactly the kind of stuff Pentax ... is called Pentax?

I'm glad to see that somebody cares about the size of digital MF cameras. Not that I expect to be able to afford one. But... Those digital MF cameras in the field (Hasselblad, Leica S2 etc.) are true size monsters! They really don't belong into the 21th century...

Somebody should be able to do a smarter MF camera. Why not Pentax?

But isn't this what Pentax did back in 1984 with the first 645? I suspect it is just a small update on the old finder system on the Pentax 645's, which indeed are very compact for its type of camera.....

10-25-2008, 04:46 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

None of the earlier prototypes featured a removable back.
10-25-2008, 04:55 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
have you seen this ad here? looks like no AF motor ... but who knows really :S
Nikon “Big” Ad Photography Bay | Digital Camera Reviews, News and Resources
Yup, I saw that on one of the gadget blogs I frequent (I believe I saw it first on Gizmodo). On the Nikon rumors site, they're kinda hoping it'll be an MF system, but the safe bet would put it on a D3x model. I just don't see Nikon suddenly releasing an MF camera, given how they're possibly maxed out with building the new FF cameras and the D90 (plus lens runs for the 16-105), not to mention their inexperience with the MF format.

I could be wrong, though. In any case, should Nikon enter the MF wars, it'd be interesting to see what Pentax does.

That lack of an AF motor may probably be just an ad agency rendering oversight, and not really the model itself. I don't really know, too.
10-25-2008, 05:19 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
None of the earlier prototypes featured a removable back.
The Pentax 645's had removable film inserts; not backs. The 645D is built around the same chassis. The sensor compartment is hinged so that cleaning of the sensor is easy. Theres no reason to assume user replaceable digital backs. However, this design makes it easy for Pentax to upgrade the camera with new sensors and image processing pipeline.

Attached Images

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 10-25-2008 at 05:24 AM.
10-25-2008, 07:09 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This shows the film inserts. And the camera stripped!
Attached Images

10-25-2008, 10:04 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The Pentax 645's had removable film inserts; not backs. The 645D is built around the same chassis. The sensor compartment is hinged so that cleaning of the sensor is easy. Theres no reason to assume user replaceable digital backs. However, this design makes it easy for Pentax to upgrade the camera with new sensors and image processing pipeline.
Sounds like a very clever construction. Is that sensor fully 6x4.5? Or will it be a sort of cropped MF?
10-25-2008, 10:10 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Sounds like a very clever construction. Is that sensor fully 6x4.5? Or will it be a sort of cropped MF?

Pentax says they will make the sensor as "big" as possible something I interpret to mean both size (6X4,5) and MP. They suggest 50mp....

10-25-2008, 08:35 PM   #23
Veteran Member

IIRC, most MF chips are 36x48mm, which isn't true 6x4.5 (which in reality wasn't true 60x45, but yeah). Even though I will probably never be able to afford one, I eagerly await a digital 645.
10-26-2008, 01:24 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good news. I'll be ready for digital MF...about 5-10 years after launch when the used market prices are within my reach

I have a couple of Pentax 6x7 lenses and the 6x7 to 645 adapter so it's merely a waiting game for me. Meanwhile I'll start using Rollei ATP (i.e. Kodak Tech Pan) for my landscapes.

Best regards,
Boucicaut
10-29-2008, 06:07 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This shows the film inserts. And the camera stripped!
That's very cool to see how much electronics is crammed in that case.
11-07-2008, 08:34 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Pentax says they will make the sensor as "big" as possible something I interpret to mean both size (6X4,5) and MP. They suggest 50mp....
My take on that is "the biggest sensor we can get into the thing and still hit the price point at which we think we'll have enough sales"; that price point was probably around 5 kUSD when they started (I base this on some translated interview comments about why they didn't release it), but there's no telling what the 24MP full frame cameras did to the calculation.

30MP and better sensitivity -- candlelight portraiture levels -- or seriously better colour depth -- really 16 bits per channel, say -- would probably sell entirely fine at a 5 kUSD price point.
11-08-2008, 03:08 AM   #27
Veteran Member

My uncle will love this. He's a portrait pro for 35 years already and uses mostly his 6x7 and 645. He's now gonna lend me and his son his extra Pentax or Mamiya 645 to play around with hehe.
11-08-2008, 08:14 AM   #28
Veteran Member

645D Launch price is MUCH HIGHER than 5K

I remember seeing Pentax USA president talking about launch price for 645D and dug it up for you all and the reply is from 19 months ago:

"Ned Bunnell , Apr 02, 2007; 11:50 a.m.

Thomas,

Sorry, can't help you with 645D pricing. It has not been set. I can offer that we'll likely be quite competitive in price vs the 31 mp Hassey, but no where near the $3-5k I've seen a few folks speculate on as the likely pricing on some photo forums. If one does a little research, you can find that the Kodak 31 mp sensor is not an inexpensive component.

Ned"

QuoteOriginally posted by Graydon Quote
My take on that is "the biggest sensor we can get into the thing and still hit the price point at which we think we'll have enough sales"; that price point was probably around 5 kUSD when they started (I base this on some translated interview comments about why they didn't release it), but there's no telling what the 24MP full frame cameras did to the calculation.

30MP and better sensitivity -- candlelight portraiture levels -- or seriously better colour depth -- really 16 bits per channel, say -- would probably sell entirely fine at a 5 kUSD price point.
11-08-2008, 09:44 AM   #29
Veteran Member

31mp Hassy is $18,000 with a lens from B&H.

I don't know if this link will work. Its a 31mp hassy with a lens for a little less than $18,000.

Hasselblad | H3DII-31 SLR Digital Camera Kit with | 70380550

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I remember seeing Pentax USA president talking about launch price for 645D and dug it up for you all and the reply is from 19 months ago:

Thomas,

Sorry, can't help you with 645D pricing. It has not been set. I can offer that we'll likely be quite competitive in price vs the 31 mp Hassey, but no where near the $3-5k I've seen a few folks speculate on as the likely pricing on some photo forums. If one does a little research, you can find that the Kodak 31 mp sensor is not an inexpensive component.

Ned"

Last edited by Samsungian; 11-08-2008 at 09:45 AM. Reason: from changed to for
11-08-2008, 10:56 AM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote

(Ned says "no where near 5 kUSD")
Assuming the Kodak 31 MP sensor, yes, it's not going to make 5 kUSD as a price point.

I think this is a big part of why they haven't released it.

Despite considerable rummaging, I'm not finding the translation of the interview with the Pentax guys where they talk about price point for the 645, so I could be totally out to lunch in remembering somewhere around there as the target price.

On the plus side, sensors are going to trend strongly down in price, even at that size.