Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1676 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2020, 02:38 AM   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
So... It's the Tamron, re-branded as Pentax, without the VC which saves 40g, but with a focus limiter (one of the criticisms of the Tamron version in reviews) and HD + SP coatings. Once the price settles, I can see this being a popular lens...
The other criticism, surprise surprise, was the flare resistance (or more accurately, lack thereof). If the HD+SP coating improves on that, it might indeed be a great lens for ~800-900€.

01-21-2020, 02:46 AM   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Google translation of the Spanish description:
QuoteQuote:
1. A compact and lightweight telephoto lens, the perfect companion on any trip: the compact and lightweight lens weighs approx. 819 grams This zoom lens covers the 35mm circle of the full-format reflex camera and provides a focal length of 70mm to 210mm, ideal for taking photos outdoors. When mounted on an APS-C camera, the focal length of 35 mm extends from 107 mm to 322 mm. The optics consist of 20 elements in 14 groups, the three ED glass elements (extra low dispersion) and two anomalous dispersion glass elements, to provide high-resolution images with high resolution and sharpness of the edges. At the same time, distortions and chromatic aberrations and comma are compensated. In addition to a minimum focusing distance of 0.95 meters, the lens tube is designed to not extend during operation to maintain overall dimensions. In this way, the photographer can actively capture in a wide variety of situations, such as in landscape photography, in urban photography, using a beautiful bokeh effect (Defokus) in the front and background, to capture close-ups of animals and plants, as well as in sports and animal photography, where the compact lens is very practical. 2. HD coating to improve the image performance of your camera: This lens is equipped with the latest PENTAX HD coating. Compared to conventional multi-layer coatings, this high quality spring coating not only improves light transmission, but also reduces the average degree of reflection by more than 50% in the visible light area and minimizes the effects Diffuse light negatives and ghost images even in bright light conditions with backlight. * HD is the abbreviation for high definition. 3. Weather-resistant design, perfect for taking photos outdoors: This zoom lens features a weather-resistant construction that prevents water from entering the lens tube. Mounted on a weatherproof PENTAX DSLR camera housing, it offers a durable and reliable digital imaging system, offering excellent performance even in difficult shooting situations, even in rainy or foggy conditions or places exposed to water splashes or splashes 4. SP (Super Protect) Stain Coating This lens has an SP (Super Protect) coating on the front surface. This coating is applied by a PENTAX fluoroethylene filtration procedure and is extremely resistant to water, grease and dirt. This way you can easily remove spots such as fingerprints. Therefore, the photographer can devote himself to his photos in nature. 5. Integrated SDM This lens is equipped with a ring-shaped SDM (Supersonic Direct-Drive Motor) to ensure quiet autofocus operation at high speed and improve the operation of outdoor photography. 6. Other features: Quick-focus focus system for instant switching to manual focus after focusing on the subject during AF operation by pressing the shutter button to the first pressure point. Two-stage focus range limiter to minimize AF operating time. The round opening with nine sheets guarantees a natural and beautiful Bokeh effect. It provides at the same time the strip effect of the point light source. Control of the electromagnetic opening. For precise control of exposure in video recordings. * Available in a PENTAX K-1 Mark II, K-1, K-3 II, K-3, KP-, K-70, K-50, K-S2 or K-S1 camera housing. (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ...what I can't use it on my K-5? Now I am very angry at Ricoh and will never buy any of their stuff again!)
The focus limiter is probably software implemented to make use of the vc on/off switch.

Last edited by D1N0; 01-21-2020 at 02:55 AM.
01-21-2020, 02:56 AM   #153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Does the Tamron have manual focus override? The Pentax version has Quick Shift, but I don't know if it's a new extra or not.
01-21-2020, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #154
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Does the Tamron have manual focus override? The Pentax version has Quick Shift, but I don't know if it's a new extra or not.
Yes it does. All lenses with an annular ultrasonic motor I know of do.

01-21-2020, 02:59 AM   #155
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

So far as I'm aware, all of the USD-motor Tamron lenses have full time manual focus overide. Certainly, my A-mount 70-200 f/2.8 and 150-600 have it. I imagine the 70-210 f/4 is the same...
01-21-2020, 03:02 AM - 6 Likes   #156
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by foto guy Quote
If it's Tamron junk, I want no part of it.
We'll let Ricoh know so they can update the sales forecast...
01-21-2020, 03:04 AM   #157
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It does sound good actually! Focuslimiter is handy. 9 blades, highly corrected, and compact. Mmmmm. Maybe after I have got those DFA* lenses bought...it sure sounds tempting.

01-21-2020, 03:07 AM - 3 Likes   #158
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
So... It's the Tamron, re-branded as Pentax, without the VC which saves 40g, but with a focus limiter (one of the criticisms of the Tamron version in reviews) and HD + SP coatings.
The tamron base design , with a few Pentax style tweaks. Some customers may be pushed back by the Tamron origin (a perception thing), but the approach of Ricoh in that case is pretty smart: why design you own new lens from scratch when there is a third party lens that performs better in corners than the equivalent OEM lens of your competitors (Canikon + Sony)? If Ricoh would design that same lens from scratch on their own, they'd eventually end-up with a lens that's not as sharp as the Tamron.
01-21-2020, 03:08 AM - 2 Likes   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Originally posted by BigMackCam*
So... It's the Tamron, re-branded as Pentax, without the VC which saves 40g, but with a focus limiter (one of the criticisms of the Tamron version in reviews) and HD + SP coatings. Once the price settles, I can see this being a popular lens...
The other criticism, surprise surprise, was the flare resistance (or more accurately, lack thereof). If the HD+SP coating improves on that, it might indeed be a great lens for ~800-900€.
And of ccourse Pentax grips on the twisty bits

So quite a lot more than sticking a Pentax sticker over the Tamron name - rebadge really only tells half the story
01-21-2020, 03:09 AM   #160
Pentaxian

HD PENTAX-D FA 70-210 mm F4ED SDM WR: Teleobjetivo de Zoom para cámaras DSLR, Potente con Apertura Constante f/4, construcción Resistente a la Intemperie, mín. Distancia de Enfoque de 0,95 Metros.: Amazon.es: Electrónica

Spanish Amazon has it already, 1219€

20 elements in 14 groups, 95 cm MFD, KAF4 mount, weight seems about right for a Non-IS version (~30 g lighter than Canikon versions):

EDIT: no indication of tripod foot whatsoever, neither in pics nor in description. Packaging includes lens (duh), lens hood, both caps and case. Releases on February 14th so... does it count as a love letter from Pentax to us?
EDIT 2: The Tamron optical diagram shows the 3 ED elements but not the two "anomalous dispersion glass" that the Pentax version has. Is Pentax just naming something already present or is it an improvement on the formula that can be done without modifying the rest?
That might explain why it took some time. Pentax modified that zoom(and made it more modern,perhaps mark 2 with out VC.)
01-21-2020, 03:11 AM - 2 Likes   #161
Pentaxian

Original Poster
- 20 elements, of which 3 ED elements and 2 made of anomalous partial dispersion glass, in 14 groups
- HD coating
- fluorine water-repellent coating of the front element (Super Protect)
- weather resistant (WR)
- internal focusing
- ring ultrasonic motor (Ring SDM)
- full time manual focus override (Quick Shift focus)
- minimum focusing distance: 0.95m
- electromagnetic aperture command & control (KAF4)
- rounded aperture blades
- focus limiter
- filter diameter: 67mm
- no tripod collar in the box
- weight: 819g
- announcement on Wednesday the 23rd at 10pm UTC (Thursday morning in Japan)
- available on the 14th of February
- €1,199 € (€1,219,15 at amazon.es).

Last edited by Mistral75; 01-21-2020 at 04:50 AM.
01-21-2020, 03:14 AM - 2 Likes   #162
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
And of ccourse Pentax grips on the twisty bits

So quite a lot more than sticking a Pentax sticker over the Tamron name - rebadge really only tells half the story
Also worth noting that some early copies of the 70-210 f/4 in CaNikon mounts suffered from front focusing issues on certain bodies, for which I believe firmware had to be updated. Tamron's own firmware, developed without input from the body manufacturers. We can be pretty confident that, as a collaboration, the firmware for the K-mount version observes Pentax lens protocols correctly, and will have been developed and tested to ensure accurate focusing at all distances.

So, yes - definitely more than placing a Pentax sticker over the Tamron name
01-21-2020, 03:16 AM - 2 Likes   #163
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sure I'm the last to notice this, but the release date is 14th February... Valentine's Day. Ricoh is showing us Pentax users some love
01-21-2020, 03:50 AM - 2 Likes   #164
Pentaxian

One of the highlights is the impressive magnification and extremely low focus breathing.
The DFA has x0.32 and effective focal length of 175mm at the shortest distance, meaning only -17% ´focus breathing.

Nowadays that is special. The latest 2800 EUR Nikon Z has -31% focus breathing, the 2650 EUR Canon RF has -47% focus breathing and only allow around x0,2 magnifications.
01-21-2020, 03:55 AM   #165
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
One of the highlights is the impressive magnification and extremely low focus breathing.
The DFA has x0.32 and effective focal length of 175mm at the shortest distance, meaning only -17% ´focus breathing.

Nowadays that is special. The latest 2800 EUR Nikon Z has -31% focus breathing, the 2650 EUR Canon RF has -47% focus breathing and only allow around x0,2 magnifications.
I think DFA*70-200/2.8 has some too and maxes out around 130-150mm? Cost of being faster zoom. But what is even better that this 70-210/4 does not extend(just like 70-200)