Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1676 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2020, 06:13 PM   #631
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Yes. That's one of my key points I was making... the Limiteds will be less 'Limited' if they are ever redesigned (larger), simply due to the expectations of modern photographers. The young ones (sub 30) today now especially expect something entirely different from the now senior photogs who were young photogs 30+ years ago (think edge to edge sharpeness, lower CA, and silent AF motor).

I think there is room to keep the essence of Pentax as a brand and Limited as a series, but bring them into the early 21st century. But I really don't think it is coming anytime in the next few years... if ever. They still haven't rolled out the initial D-FA lineup loaded on the roadmap from 2016.
What will they do, though, in the event that a new Pentax body is released, absent the screw-drive AF? Bear in mind that that drive mechanism is taking up space and cost that probably could be put to better use elsewhere.

01-27-2020, 06:18 PM - 2 Likes   #632
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Ricoh purchased the Pentax brand because of that history.
They showed how they value that history on the last Advent Calendar entry.
Well, all I can say is that as a student of history, what you are saying bodes ill for the future.
I have to bow out of this part of the discussion now as I can feel my leash getting a bit tight.
01-27-2020, 06:33 PM - 6 Likes   #633
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't think anyone is talking of them dropping the screw driven motor. I just think the odds are pretty decent that they don't release any new lenses for it going forward. And if that is the case, eventually they may drop it from the entry level camera. But even that wouldn't happen for several generations of cameras after they phase out screw drive motor.

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Yes. That's one of my key points I was making... the Limiteds will be less 'Limited' if they are ever redesigned (larger), simply due to the expectations of modern photographers. The young ones (sub 30) today now especially expect something entirely different from the now senior photogs who were young photogs 30+ years ago (think edge to edge sharpeness, lower CA, and silent AF motor).

I think there is room to keep the essence of Pentax as a brand and Limited as a series, but bring them into the early 21st century. But I really don't think it is coming anytime in the next few years... if ever. They still haven't rolled out the initial D-FA lineup loaded on the roadmap from 2016.
I like screwdrive, it's fairly simple and reliable. Plus with limited size lenses it's quick and the noise is barely noticeable.
Why not keep it for size and weight benefits of lenses - is screwdrive really that terrible to so many people?
01-27-2020, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #634
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Well, all I can say is that as a student of history, what you are saying bodes ill for the future.
I have to bow out of this part of the discussion now as I can feel my leash getting a bit tight.
Actually, I believe it bodes well for Pentax. They most likely won’t just toss the past. As long as they build DSLRs, I believe they will keep continuity with the past; they can use older lenses in a way much simpler than what Nikon offers, and I believe that will continue. I believe this compatibility is one of the things delaying a new MILC. Everyone else has provided limited compatibility in their MILC familty; I believe Pentax will go MILC only if they can maintain sufficient compatibility.

01-27-2020, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #635
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I like screwdrive, it's fairly simple and reliable. Plus with limited size lenses it's quick and the noise is barely noticeable.
Why not keep it for size and weight benefits of lenses - is screwdrive really that terrible to so many people?
To the contrary, I dislike the screwdrive; its use by Nikon and Pentax was the main reason for my ‘Canon vacation’ 1995-2015. I cannot speak for other users, but I am very happy that their new lenses have in-lens AF motors largely.
01-27-2020, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #636
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
What will they do, though, in the event that a new Pentax body is released, absent the screw-drive AF? Bear in mind that that drive mechanism is taking up space and cost that probably could be put to better use elsewhere.
Too many legacy lenses still sold as retail products in the Pentax portfolio to do that imo.

It is loud and not as accurate as a modern in lens motor. It is the reason absolutely zero manufacturers design new lenses with screwdrive today. Even Ricoh/Pentax (and previous handlers) created new motor types to get away from it starting with SDM, then using a 'generic' DC, PLM, and now a newer SDM (which I suspect is or is similar to Tamrons Ultrasonic drive).

But as I said above, I don't see legacy support disappearing anytime soon.

Last edited by mee; 01-27-2020 at 08:06 PM.
01-27-2020, 11:01 PM   #637
Forum Member

The fact that this lens is essentially a re-badge of the Tamron makes the delays from that stated in the initial roadmap less excusable, in my view. Had it been a Pentax original, with the stellar quality that Pentax is known to be able to produce, I would have felt more forgiving. For my part, the delays from the initial roadmap and (what seems to me to be) the slow introduction of new FF lenses in general suggests a trend of ongoing frustration for FF Pentaxians. Notwithstanding the coatings, which are very welcome, the price differential from the Tamron has likewise helped to cement the wisdom of me moving to a different system.

But for those who feel stuck in FF Pentax land, this looks like a solid lens, and I am delighted that you have this lens at last.

01-27-2020, 11:53 PM - 23 Likes   #638
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Socrateeze Quote
But for those who feel stuck in FF Pentax land, this looks like a solid lens, and I am delighted that you have this lens at last.
Just because some of us manage to stay with the brand for more than 12 months does not make us "stuck in FF Pentax"

Many of us actually like our system
01-28-2020, 12:17 AM - 1 Like   #639
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Actually, I believe it bodes well for Pentax. They most likely won’t just toss the past. As long as they build DSLRs, I believe they will keep continuity with the past; they can use older lenses in a way much simpler than what Nikon offers, and I believe that will continue. I believe this compatibility is one of the things delaying a new MILC. Everyone else has provided limited compatibility in their MILC familty; I believe Pentax will go MILC only if they can maintain sufficient compatibility.
I think the reason is much simplier. They do not have enough ressources to do both parallel, for full advantage (size and image quality) of MILC they do need a new mount but for sure cannot provide
enough new lenses to go with it.
They waited too long for MILC, the markwt is already saturated and even Nikon (much bigger player) has issues getting into it now. The peoduct cycles of MILC atm are too fast for Pentax too, too much high tech.

About the last calender entry with all that lenses: it is just a bit of marketing. Nothing to get overly exited about.
01-28-2020, 01:04 AM - 1 Like   #640
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
You're not a good student, if you only study the failures.
In Pentax/Asahi Optical's history there are many things to be proud of.
Then there's the matter of continuing the Pentax product lines - without which the Pentax brand makes no sense.
01-28-2020, 01:18 AM - 6 Likes   #641
Pentaxian

a trend of ongoing frustration for FF Pentaxians.

But for those who feel stuck in FF Pentax land
I'm neither frustrated nor stuck.

I'm actually very very happy in Pentax land. I can't imagine using other cameras. The K1 is made for me, my hands and my needs. Any limitations in my photography can't be blamed on Pentax camera and lenses. It's on me.
01-28-2020, 03:41 AM - 3 Likes   #642
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am fine with the screw drive. My fastest focusing lenses (the FA 135 f2.8 and DA 40 limited) are screw driven. Unfortunately, they aren't always very accurate when it comes to auto focus -- it probably comes from having a really short focus throw. In the long term, though, it seems as though most brands have moved towards having in lens motors -- I think to reduce noise and because they are (should be) more accurate.

And honestly, it isn't as though you can't have pretty small lenses that have in lens motors -- the DA 20-40 limited and Canon's EF 40mm STM both come to mind.

That said, Pentax couldn't possibly remove the screw drive motor from their bodies until the last screw driven lens was off their books for at least five or six years. And with the rate that they release new lenses, that seems unlikely for the foreseeable future.

---------- Post added 01-28-20 at 05:47 AM ----------

The fact that this lens is essentially a re-badge of the Tamron makes the delays from that stated in the initial roadmap less excusable, in my view. Had it been a Pentax original, with the stellar quality that Pentax is known to be able to produce, I would have felt more forgiving. For my part, the delays from the initial roadmap and (what seems to me to be) the slow introduction of new FF lenses in general suggests a trend of ongoing frustration for FF Pentaxians. Notwithstanding the coatings, which are very welcome, the price differential from the Tamron has likewise helped to cement the wisdom of me moving to a different system.

My guess is actually that Pentax had a change of plans, initially thought they would design this lens themselves and then decided that the Tamron with a Pentax treatment, would be adequate for the job. This isn't a DFA * lens and never was supposed to be. I'm not sure how much better a Pentax designed DFA 70-200 f4 would actually be.

If it sounds like optimism around here, it is not just because of this lens (although many are glad for it). It is because there are hopefully a few other things that are rumored to be coming out soon (K-new, DFA *85) and rumored "10 lenses in the pipeline." Of course, it may take five years for those lenses to be developed, but the idea that Pentax is continuing to develop gear is a positive, when last year was pretty dry from that standpoint.
01-28-2020, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #643
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

It being a re-badge might have meant that Pentax had to wait a contracted length of time before introducing their version.

I admit this is conjecture but it is very plausible knowing corporate bureaucracy.
01-28-2020, 04:12 AM - 3 Likes   #644
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
It being a re-badge might have meant that Pentax had to wait a contracted length of time before introducing their version.

I admit this is conjecture but it is very plausible knowing corporate bureaucracy.
If so, they wouldn't have scheduled the lens for '2019 Spring' until end of February 2019.

Something happened between end of January 2019 (when the lens was one more time scheduled for '2019 Spring') and end of February 2019 (when the lens was postponed to '2019 or later').
01-28-2020, 04:40 AM - 3 Likes   #645
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Something happened between end of January 2019 (when the lens was one more time scheduled for '2019 Spring') and end of February 2019 (when the lens was postponed to '2019 or later').
It seems so.
Perhaps they first intended to make it themselves, but later decided against it - as it would be too expensive, and sold in too small quantities.
Perhaps they tried to share costs with Tokina, and the collaboration with Tokina failed (do we expect a Tokina Opera 85mm f/1.4, after Tokina rebadged that Chinese thing?)
Less likely but I guess not impossible, the first plan was a straight Tamron rebadge but then decided for more customization.
Anyway, something happened.