Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1676 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2020, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #796
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Most people look at us with a raised eyebrows, because they have no clue Pentax was still in business and have no idea what their gear is like. I have often commented on the gear Sony, Nikon and Canon have when I see someone with something I know to be exceptional... not one has ever picked up on the fact I have a really good Pentax made lens. Because they are ignorant when it comes to knowing what Pentax has to offer. Why do you care what such snobs do with their eyebrows?
As you added this later a sepperate response to this:

This is exactly what I dislike, this "all the others hate Pentax" stuff. The Pentax community would be much friendlier if they would not constantly attack every non Pentax user out there. There are numerous examples on a daily bases on this forum. If a review is not all the way positive, it is either the person being ignorant or payed too much by other brands. If somebody does not know my gear (why should he even, Pentax has a rather small market share. Most commonly known are those cameras most commonly sold. Show them your Hasselblad and they propably wont notice either.) he just does not know my gear. Thats about it.

01-30-2020, 02:31 PM - 3 Likes   #797
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote

This is exactly what I dislike, this "all the others hate Pentax" stuff. The Pentax community would be much friendlier if they would not constantly attack every non Pentax user out there. There are numerous examples on a daily bases on this forum. If a review is not all the way positive, it is either the person being ignorant or payed too much by other brands. If somebody does not know my gear (why should he even, Pentax has a rather small market share. Most commonly known are those cameras most commonly sold. Show them your Hasselblad and they propably wont notice either.) he just does not know my gear. Thats about it.
It would also be good if the Pentax Community did not feel under attack from within. That is why I posted my response that led to your admitting they are are good bargain - otherwise, comment after comment comparing them to others without admitting that the others cost much more sounds like attacks.
01-30-2020, 02:44 PM   #798
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
There is no reason to assume Pentax engineers will produce a lens with slow AF
Why my DFA70-200 AF is slower than my DFA28-105 then?
01-30-2020, 02:47 PM   #799
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can I consider myself lucky to run into too many photographers? If I meet any, I'm usually the most over-equipped one and have yet to receive anything but questions, out of honest interest, on my Pentax equipment. But then conversations tend to rarely focus much on equipment - subject and technique being more of a topic.

If it wasn't for some rather dimly lit gyms, I would likely sell my 70-200/2.8 (latest Sigma) and get the f/4 for better portability. I may get it anyway, but no rush as with a little caution the PLM works fairly well for most of what the f/4 would cover, and then some.

01-30-2020, 02:49 PM   #800
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
In a race, one will always finish behind the other, unless they happen to tie.
01-30-2020, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #801
Veteran Member

It would also be good if the Pentax Community did not feel under attack from within. That is why I posted my response that led to your admitting they are are good bargain - otherwise, comment after comment comparing them to others without admitting that the others cost much more sounds like attacks.
If you feel under attack I am sorry about this.

This was my first post, where I immidiatly talked about it being cheap. Cheap is usually a relative thing, in this case I thought it is obviously that the reference point are other comparable lenses we talk about.

The 24-70 is a good lense and quite cheap to get.

However I NEVER heard anybody saying the Tamron 24-70 is on the same level as the 24-70/2.8 by Sony, Z or F mount 24-70/2.8 by Nikon or the two Canons, the new one even at f2.0.They are all generally better in optical quality and much more expensive, so it is ok.The Tamron suffers from bad bokeh rings (the reason I do not use it).
Your answer is that you dont care about the bokeh. Ok, you do not need to, I do. That is why I wrote:

Well, I am interested in the whole image.
Focus than shifts to the 15-30 which is indeed a very competitive lense, on what I agreed:
Right, the 15-30 is more competitive in that manner.
There is a video comparing the lenses where others did better:
Seeing the results on the video I just cannot agree its on the same level. Slightly less sharp than most, much worse bokeh than all others.The new Nikon and Canon both surpase the old ones used here too, so the gap is even greater.

Seeing the results on the video I just cannot agree its on the same level. Slightly less sharp than most, much worse bokeh than all others.The new Nikon and Canon both surpase the old ones used here too, so the gap is even greater.

The next post:

As it is a reply, all 24-70 lenses featured in the video.The Pentax might even be the strongest contender in quality by price ratio and build quality, but not by absolut optical quality. Again, this is ok, as it is priced accordingly.
I simply cannot see why I got to "admit" it is a well priced lense. That was my very first statement this discussion started with. I did not go on it "comment after comment" comparing it to other brands suggesting it is at the same price. I compared it only a single time without writing about it being cheap, because this was already part of the discussion and as reaction to a comparison review where 4 of those lenses were all put together. Do I really need to write something nice at every single post where I write that another brand has a better product in a specific way?

If this is what makes the community makes feel attacked, I just need to move on I guess. Because discussing lenses without being able to name downfalls is as useless as discussing pictures without being able to critize them. I (almost) never intend to attack anybody at all. But after many years in science and also buisness I came to the conclusion that a good discussion can only be held if you can be honest, not walking on egg shells because it will eventually hurt anybody although the topics discussed are not about the person hurt at all.
01-30-2020, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #802
Loyal Site Supporter

Seeing the results on the video I just cannot agree its on the same level. Slightly less sharp than most, much worse bokeh than all others.
The new Nikon and Canon both surpase the old ones used here too, so the gap is even greater.
It would help people know what you are talking about if you would quote what you are replying to all the time rather than going to the extra effort of removing quoted material.
The website works as intended if you let it.

01-30-2020, 02:51 PM   #803
Veteran Member

Because the 70-200 is much heavier and therefore harder to focus.
01-30-2020, 02:51 PM   #804
Pentaxian

If you feel under attack I am sorry about this.
@normhead is the one who has been attacked, and I understand why he feels the way he does. Telling him to "calm down" really was not necessary or appropriate.
01-30-2020, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #805
Pentaxian

"Slower" does not mean "slow". The D FA* 70-200 is slower than its ring-type "SDM" equipped counterparts, but is it slow?

As for why it's slower than the D FA 28-105 (I didn't compare these two) - larger, heavier focus group.
01-30-2020, 02:53 PM   #806
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe 14 glass elements with 7 in the focusing group?

:.
01-30-2020, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #807
Veteran Member

@normhead is the one who has been attacked, and I understand why he feels the way he does.
Are you serious about this? I attacked him?

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
"The Tamron 24-70 does not outclass any Canikon 24-70 currently sold as new. This is not negativity, this is just a small bit of keeping it realistic. Pentax users overexaturating about Pentax quality are a good part of the reason why other communities look at us with a raised eyebrow."I've never heard anyone say the Tamron 24-70 outclasses anyone else's glass. SO I'm wondering, where did you see these raised eyebrows? You reported it so I assume you can show us what you're talking about. To be unable to do otherwise would just be leaving one open to "keeping it real" through outright fraud and lies.
01-30-2020, 02:58 PM - 12 Likes   #808
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

If you find some folks here on these forums defensive, cut them some slack and try to view things from their perspective. As a Pentax-specific community in which many of us have been active for some years, we've endured more than a decade of other-brand users attacking ours - even more so since it became a niche one amongst the Canon / Nikon / Sony giants. Most other active forums are more-or-less brand-agnostic, so criticism of one brand user against another tends not to have quite the same impact. Here, we're mostly Pentax users. Those few that aren't were previously Pentax users who switched for one reason or another - some good, some arguably questionable - yet even whilst shooting other brands now, they still find this community valuable enough that they want to stick around... and we still welcome them (which says a lot to me).

The vast majority of members here are more than well enough informed to know not every Pentax product is as good or better than every other brand's nearest equivalent. Most also know that if you take one other single brand like Nikon or Canon or Sony (or any of the others) individually - but not all of them together - there are numerous product comparisons where Pentax wins on performance, features, quality and/or price. If, however, you cherry pick the best products from each brand and compare them to Pentax's more limited range of offerings, then of course Pentax will rarely (if ever) come out on top in every aspect. Most folks here are smart enough to know this too... but I'd hazard most don't really care, and don't appreciate being reminded every time another brand's product is marginally better in some way. Rather, they care whether the Pentax product does what they need, want and/or like

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-31-2020 at 02:52 AM.
01-30-2020, 03:00 PM   #809
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you serious about this? I attacked him?
Dude. Quit with the false victim act. You‘ve earned his comment. Own it.
01-30-2020, 03:00 PM - 2 Likes   #810
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Folks, let's keep this friendly please Thank you