Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2020, 06:16 PM   #976
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
True. The best burgers are usually from holes in the wall. Rarely the chains.

Same goes for pulled pork BBQ.... that said, some low rent places do make awful Q.
Have you ever been to Texas? Or Moonlight Barbeque in Owensboro Kentucky? If you have then we can talk BBQ! Carolina and Kansas City have their backers also!

02-04-2020, 06:36 PM   #977
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Have you ever been to Texas? Or Moonlight Barbeque in Owensboro Kentucky? If you have then we can talk BBQ! Carolina and Kansas City have their backers also!
I have been to Texas. They do a fine (beef) brisket.

Never been to Owensboro KY though.

Memphis has the best (pork) BBQ.

Last edited by mee; 02-04-2020 at 06:44 PM.
02-04-2020, 06:59 PM   #978
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
With what gear?
Yeah, good point.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
More than anything else? Are you sure about that?
Of course I'm making an assumption, but how else would you explain people buying low level Canikonys? It wouldn't be because they'd done research and found them to be great cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
...This is how Canon and Nikon do it: Here Are Canon's and Nikon's Crazy DSLR Stockpiles at the 2018 Olympics
Besides, Pentax doesn't have the equipment for that.
Such massive equipement is not required for the intended purpose. All I meant is let's show Pentax amongst the Canons and Nikons. The shooter can be working for a local school journal, for all we care, and he/she wouldn't need all that backup equipment. The public wouldn't know that.
02-05-2020, 12:10 AM   #979
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Of course I'm making an assumption, but how else would you explain people buying low level Canikonys? It wouldn't be because they'd done research and found them to be great cameras.
Most of the time researches among beginners who buy entry level cameras are focused on:
- friends opinion
- influencers who pop up on Youtube searches
- discounts and attractive packages (a camera with 2 lenses, free memory card and free backpack for example)
- popularity of the brand

Such massive equipement is not required for the intended purpose. All I meant is let's show Pentax amongst the Canons and Nikons. The shooter can be working for a local school journal, for all we care, and he/she wouldn't need all that backup equipment. The public wouldn't know that.
What influence do you think a local school journal photographer will have among teens who are more and more addicted to technology? I'm all in when comes to make Pentax brand known, but as long as Ricoh doesn't at least "attack" the social media, which is the cheapest way to marketing things these days, I doubt we will see Pentax cameras as a young generation brand. The new generation "forced" Canon and Nikon to enter in mirrorless market because Sony came up with technology and with proper and agressive marketing they shifted the attention of people to mirrorless, despite the fact that first models were far away in terms of performance even when compared to entry level DSLR.

02-05-2020, 12:34 AM   #980
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Very much autofocus indeed. If such lenses are the basis for future Pentax lenses, there is no need for an improved autofocus in the KNEW...
Sorry, too long a discussion for me and no mention of AF in the quoted post.

But in any case the K-new isn't Pentax Alpha to Omega product i guess, when speaking about third parties lenses, which makers are concentrating on full frame.
02-05-2020, 12:55 AM   #981
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Pentax is that local burger joint that has changed hands many times due to it not making a lot of money, but everyone thinks they'll do a better job if they're running it. The locals love it for its down-home charm, the out of towners are expecting something more upscale, or at least different.
If that's the case then, around here, Pentax is All American Drive-In except in popularity. Been around since the '60s, changed hands a few times, building is still exactly the same as it was 50 years ago but the internals have changed. Still uses the same original recipe too. Very popular here on Long Island in Nassau County.
02-05-2020, 01:11 AM   #982
Pentaxian

They haven't done research on what pro sports shooters are using, either.

There are commercials - with the likes of Ashton Kutcher, that's bound to be expensive.
And there are stores filled with cameras, with incentives for clerks to make sure they'll push your products instead of others. Again, expensive.

What is the intended purpose?
I'm all for having a few selected sponsored photographers - and Ricoh Imaging is already doing that. In areas where Pentax is strong though. Not next to Canikon's 600 f/4s and 400 f/2.8s
And I'm all for inexpensive marketing, say social media. Banners all over the town, prime time TV adds? Neah.
Their efforts must be more targeted, more efficient.

02-05-2020, 01:11 AM - 2 Likes   #983
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
If that's the case then, around here, Pentax is All American Drive-In
Pentax is anything but fast food!
02-05-2020, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #984
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Sorry, too long a discussion for me and no mention of AF in the quoted post.

(...)
Indeed, in my post I used the ancient, old-fashioned long form 'autofocus' instead.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
That's not my point. Ricoh can indeed cope with small volumes for the Pentax brand if they are appropriately organised. All of us here assume they are.

However, in a rapidly declining and soon to be marginalised DSLR market, Ricoh cannot indefinitely count on third parties to provide DSLR lenses to rebrand to fill their own gaps because said third parties will have by then shifted their R&D and, progressively, their production towards mirrorless lenses.

That was my point.

Let's be more specific and go by firm names.
  • Samyang? They have no K mount autofocus lens in their portfolio and probably never will (there is no K mount version of their latest manual focus lenses). In 2019 they launched five autofocus lenses: one in SLR mount and four in mirrorless mounts.
    -
  • Sigma? They have stopped producing K mount lenses. In 2019 they launched 17 lenses: one SLR lens, another SLR lens also made available in mirrorless mount, eight mirrorless versions of lenses formerly designed for SLR mounts and seven 'genuine' mirrorless lenses.
    -
  • Tamron? They are Ricoh's current source of rebranded lenses. In 2019 they launched six lenses: two SLR lenses and four mirrorless lenses.
    -
  • Tokina? They are hopeless. Their latest own design, a mirrorless lens by the way, dates back to 2016. In 2019 they launched four lenses, all by revamping former versions: three SLR lenses (of which one with an optical formula licensed from Pentax) and a mirrorless version of a former SLR lens (the optical formula of which was licensed from Pentax).
    -
  • Viltrox? The lenses they announced in 2019 and those under development are all mirrorless lenses.
    -
  • Yongnuo? They are only producing Canon EF, Nikon F, µ4/3 and soon Sony E lenses.
02-05-2020, 06:09 PM - 2 Likes   #985
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Camera firmware update for the K-1 series for this lens are up in the Ricoh Japan site (dated 2-06-2020].
02-05-2020, 07:00 PM   #986
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I guess the 70-210 is the only new lens for CP+ if it’s the only one listed in the firmware update... thanks, mlt, for the heads-up.

Latest PENTAX K-1 Mark II Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

-Eric
02-05-2020, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #987
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Firmware update version 1.04 for the K-1 Mark II (see above) and version 1.52 for the K-1:

Latest PENTAX K-1 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

Nothing for the APS-C cameras yet.
02-06-2020, 10:24 PM - 1 Like   #988
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That, and the quality of the food

Best steak (and burger) dinners I've ever had were never the most fashionable, but the ones that used the best ingredients and prepared them well...
Maybe, but don't expect fast service coz you ain't gonna get it coz they can't afford the staff! Or an extensive menu for that matter! And don't expect it to be exactly cheap for a burger joint, either.

And yeah, it is all ultimately subjective. Me personally: I decided that I really needed to trim a few pounds off my waistline and so these days I more often frequent the Sony joint that opened a few years back. Yeah, it's more expensive, but the food tastes just as good now (it was pretty rough in the beginning), has more vegetarian options and faster service, and I don't get indigestion as often. Don't get me wrong - Pentax makes one of the best steaks and burgers going, but I'm usually in the mood for something lighter.
02-06-2020, 11:29 PM   #989
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax is the brand that keeps offering what the market appreciated long ago (tradtional rugged, well made cameras), in a changing market that expect rapidely obsolete consumer electronic gadgets. At some point, there is no alignement between the Pentax offer and what the core of the market buys. The remaining minority of customers who enjoy traditional rugged cameras and lenses, eventually do get alienated by difficulties to keep the traditional business economically viable, that's the problem.
02-07-2020, 04:03 AM   #990
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Pentax is the brand that keeps offering what the market appreciated long ago (tradtional rugged, well made cameras), in a changing market that expect rapidely obsolete consumer electronic gadgets. At some point, there is no alignement between the Pentax offer and what the core of the market buys. The remaining minority of customers who enjoy traditional rugged cameras and lenses, eventually do get alienated by difficulties to keep the traditional business economically viable, that's the problem.
You make it sound as if others produce trash, just because they are faster in development.