Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2020, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #91
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Looks like a straight rebadge to me. Probably with Pentax coatings, but I doubt anything else different. The proof will be when we see where the lens is manufactured. The DFA 15-30 and 24-70 are "Made in Japan," unlike Pentax lenses which are manufactured in Vietnam.

On the bright side this means that the launching price is going to drop considerably. The Pentax DFA 24-70 f2.8 is selling for 940 on Amazon and the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 is selling for 1200 and the Tamron 15-30 for Nikon is selling for 1200, the same as the Pentax DFA 15-30. I know you can often find the Tamron for 50 to 100 less than the DFA versions of the lens, but when the Tamron 70-210 f4 is selling for 600 dollars, it seems unlikely that the final price will be over 725 to 750.
Yes, I was thinking it will eventually come down to the $800 mark or thereabouts, at least when discounted. Still high compared to the current Tamron price on other mounts, but not prohibitively so...

01-20-2020, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The dfa 50 and opera 50 test differently and it has been said (can't wouch) that one element is different.

Could be that this lens has been tuned as well.
01-20-2020, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #93
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
The dfa 50 and opera 50 test differently and it has been said (can't wouch) that one element is different.

Were one lens element different, any and all elements should have been recalculated. So no.
01-20-2020, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It looks likea good lens will be made better by Pentax coatings

My only concern is that rebadging is one of the sticks DPR trolls love to beat Pentax with by suggesting ALL Pentax lenses are just expensive rebadges - ie Pentax don't have the skill to make their own lenses - and this becomes received wisdom and might put off potential customers - but I guess if that doesn't worry Ricoh t shouldn't worry me (not to metiion I've got the f/2.8 anyway).

01-20-2020, 03:45 PM   #95
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote

Yes, it's possible, certainly. Right now, anything is possible until someone we trust has had a chance to review the lens and compare it to the Tamron version. Personally, I suspect that the differences will be in the coatings and firmware, as well as slight differences - perhaps - in the WR gaskets to match what Pentax lenses already use (if that is, indeed, different to Tamron). But it's possible there are additional differences...
01-20-2020, 03:48 PM   #96
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Looks like a straight rebadge to me. Probably with Pentax coatings, but I doubt anything else different. The proof will be when we see where the lens is manufactured. The DFA 15-30 and 24-70 are "Made in Japan," unlike Pentax lenses which are manufactured in Vietnam.

On the bright side this means that the launching price is going to drop considerably. The Pentax DFA 24-70 f2.8 is selling for 940 on Amazon and the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 is selling for 1200 and the Tamron 15-30 for Nikon is selling for 1200, the same as the Pentax DFA 15-30. I know you can often find the Tamron for 50 to 100 less than the DFA versions of the lens, but when the Tamron 70-210 f4 is selling for 600 dollars, it seems unlikely that the final price will be over 725 to 750.
And depends on whether or not Pentax includes the tripod foot/ring in the suggested retail price.
01-20-2020, 03:49 PM - 6 Likes   #97
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Regarding the launch price, does it really matter? If we look at the historical prices of the Tamron rebrands, they drop very quickly. For example, the 24-70mm, which has an MSRP of $1299, has been selling for $799-899.

Also, this lens is clearly aimed at those who take issue with the D FA* 70-200mm's size or price. It wouldn't make much sense if the selling price wasn't substantially different.

Strategically, I think it makes sense for Pentax to leverage their partnership with Tamron for non-premium (which does not mean low-performing) offerings. This will keep the cash flowing and enable in-house efforts to focus on new designs.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-20-2020, 03:49 PM   #98
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
IMy only concern is that rebadging is one of the sticks DPR trolls love to beat Pentax with by suggesting ALL Pentax lenses are just expensive rebadges - ie Pentax don't have the skill to make their own lenses - and this becomes received wisdom and might put off potential customers - but I guess if that doesn't worry Ricoh t shouldn't worry me (not to metiion I've got the f/2.8 anyway).
True... however, given the widely-reported performance of the Tamron version and our reasonable expectation that the Pentax version will be at least as good (perhaps slightly better due to the coatings and Pentax-specific firmware), the trolls can't call this out as a sub-standard lens. In its class, it performs as well as Nikon's offering and not far off Canon's. So we Pentax folks aren't getting an "also ran" in terms of the optical and AF performance. As such, there's no shame in Ricoh taking a Tamron lens and re-branding. The trolls will claim otherwise, but they're on thin ice...
01-20-2020, 03:59 PM - 2 Likes   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see this as a very interesting development - I was saving for the 70-200mm f2.8, but I must admit I do have some concerns about the weight, especially if i am carting around two bodies with, say a 24-70mm on the other.

I will be following this thread, and the eventual release, with interest.
01-20-2020, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Were one lens element different, any and all elements should have been recalculated. So no.
You could propably to minor work on an aspherical element without having to recalculate the whole system. There might be existing differences between the initial calculation and what they did build for technical reasons and build something closer to the theoretical solution too.

But I agree that this is both highly unlikely.
01-20-2020, 04:11 PM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Regarding the launch price, does it really matter? If we look at the historical prices of the Tamron rebrands, they drop very quickly. For example, the 24-70mm, which has an MSRP of $1299, has been selling for $799-899.
Amazon.de shows the 24-70 for 1250€ and the 15-30 for 1400€.
01-20-2020, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #102
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rosettaquarrier Quote
I see this as a very interesting development - I was saving for the 70-200mm f2.8, but I must admit I do have some concerns about the weight, especially if i am carting around two bodies with, say a 24-70mm on the other.

This will be less than half the weight of the Pentax f/2.8 lens (3.86 lbs vs ~1.9 lbs) -- there is a big penalty for that extra stop of light.
01-20-2020, 04:19 PM   #103

Next will be PenTamron 35/1.4... wait for it.

And 150-600 would make sense. But not with Ricoh price add-on.
01-20-2020, 04:19 PM - 2 Likes   #104
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Putting on my journalistic hat... Perhaps we are getting a bit ahead of our selfs? Sure, there are some very plausible clues that this lens is a rebadge of the Tamron. But I haven't seen a definitive conformation that it is. And if it is, it is the job of Pentax to convince potential buyers it is a worthwhile lens to buy for the price they are asking. And they haven't had the chance to do make their case. I'll wait with judging this new lens until the official information is out.
01-20-2020, 04:23 PM   #105

QuoteOriginally posted by rosettaquarrier Quote

You can get the older Tamron 70-200/2.8 or Sigma 70-200/2.8. Both are 1.2-1.3kg which is less than DFA*70-200/2.8 and both cost less and provide more light than DFA70-200/4.. and its rather difficult to beat 70-200/2.8 lens closed to F4 with wide open F4 lens..