Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2020, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #301
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since there is discussion about the DFA 150-450 vs Tamron 150-600, here are results from Ephotozine:

Max focal length, Pentax (450mm) first, then Tamron (600mm):

Of course, these are only singular samples, and certainly there is sample variation.

01-22-2020, 08:25 AM   #302
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
https://dustinabbott.net/2017/10/tamron-sp-24-70mm-f2-8-di-vc-usd-g2-review/ Somehow the newer version is sharper edge-to-edge even with the older optical formula.
As others have said, that is a copy difference. You could probably a G1 version of the lens that had similar edge to edge sharpness as this G2 version and some G2 versions that are weaker in comparison with this lens.

As far as I know, the differences between the two lenses are improvement in VC and auto focus motor with G2. That's fine, but lets not act like the Pentax version is dramatically worse than the Tamron current version.
01-22-2020, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #303
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
As others have said, that is a copy difference. You could probably a G1 version of the lens that had similar edge to edge sharpness as this G2 version and some G2 versions that are weaker in comparison with this lens.

As far as I know, the differences between the two lenses are improvement in VC and auto focus motor with G2. That's fine, but lets not act like the Pentax version is dramatically worse than the Tamron current version.
Tamron's G2 lenses also have better weather resistance than the older versions, plus a flourine coating on the front element and (allegedly) better flare resistance.

IMHO, aside from the in-lens stabilisation, the Pentax version of the lens is basically a K-mount G2 in all the areas that matter, due to Pentax-level WR and HD + SP coatings...
01-22-2020, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #304
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good optics cost money, so really not phased by the possbile launch prices we're seeing. A pair of top notch sunglasses is easily over $100, and that's just a single piece of glass. When thought of in those terms, a high quality lens is almost cheap in comparison given the number of elements and mechanics involved. I think back to purchasing my 150-450 on a sale not too long after release, and I've never looked back on what I paid. Such a nice lens, it's been worth every penny. This new release looks to be similar in price to the 60-250 now. Makes complete sense. Looking forward to more detail with the official launch.

01-22-2020, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #305
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Good optics cost money, so really not phased by the possbile launch prices we're seeing. A pair of top notch sunglasses is easily over $100, and that's just a single piece of glass. When thought of in those terms, a high quality lens is almost cheap in comparison given the number of elements and mechanics involved. I think back to purchasing my 150-450 on a sale not too long after release, and I've never looked back on what I paid. Such a nice lens, it's been worth every penny. This new release looks to be similar in price to the 60-250 now. Makes complete sense. Looking forward to more detail with the official launch.
The main reason people are irked by the price is not the price 'in a vacuum', but that it costs almost three times (in Europe at least) the price of a new 'original' Tamron 70-210 in Canikon mount, because we are comparing launch price vs discounted price of a 1.5 year old release... although the comparison matters if you're in the market for one such lens *today*. After the street price goes down it will be better
01-22-2020, 08:42 AM   #306
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Tamron's G2 lenses also have better weather resistance than the older versions, plus a flourine coating on the front element and (allegedly) better flare resistance.

IMHO, aside from the in-lens stabilisation, the Pentax version of the lens is basically a K-mount G2 in all the areas that matter, due to Pentax-level WR and HD + SP coatings...
Thanks, I am buying a D FA 24-70 then
01-22-2020, 08:49 AM - 5 Likes   #307
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The main reason people are irked by the price is not the price 'in a vacuum', but that it costs almost three times (in Europe at least) the price of a new 'original' Tamron 70-210 in Canikon mount, because we are comparing launch price vs discounted price of a 1.5 year old release... although the comparison matters if you're in the market for one such lens *today*. After the street price goes down it will be better
Sometimes it feels like people think Pentax/Ricoh is a charity. They are not. If they can't make any money, they will disappear. Given that this fills a gap that's been missing for years, it only makes sense that it comes out at an initial price point that gets discounted later. If people want a "cheap consumer zoom", the 55-300 PLM is a fantastic lens. If the desire is a modern FF zoom that is something like "prosumer", then it's going to cost a bit more.

01-22-2020, 08:54 AM   #308
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For sure - and here both Pentax and Tamron have to make a penny so the premium was inevitable (although I expected it a bit cheaper, around 1000€).
01-22-2020, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #309
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And just mulling over the price difference in Europe versus elsewhere, doesn't the EU mandate longer warranties and other consumer protection things than elsewhere? This could certainly be part of the price differences. Someone has to pay for this.....
01-22-2020, 08:58 AM   #310
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And just mulling over the price difference in Europe versus elsewhere, doesn't the EU mandate longer warranties and other consumer protection things than elsewhere? This could certainly be part of the price differences. Someone has to pay for this.....
Two years in Europe, yes. Taxes are also higher so around ~100€ discrepancy is normal. Still, Tamron offers 5 year warranties right? In any case, as I said the price is within "normal" range.
01-22-2020, 08:59 AM   #311
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
... IMHO, aside from the in-lens stabilisation, the Pentax version of the lens is basically a K-mount G2 in all the areas that matter, due to Pentax-level WR and HD + SP coatings...
Agreed on Pentax coatings being better than the Tamron coatings, but how is the WR any different? I didn't think there were any more gaskets or similar hardware differences between Pentax & Tamron labeled units in this way.
01-22-2020, 09:00 AM - 2 Likes   #312
Pentaxian

No, actually, it's cause we need to subsidise the losses everyone makes when they sell cheap products in the States. Sell cheap in USA and scalp the europeans
01-22-2020, 09:01 AM   #313
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Two years in Europe, yes. Taxes are also higher so around ~100€ discrepancy is normal. Still, Tamron offers 5 year warranties right? In any case, as I said the price is within "normal" range.
Honestly not sure what their warranty period is here in the U.S.. I know I've read lots of reviews in the past where we were 1 year, and Europe was 2 on warranties, but I can't say those were Tamron products.
01-22-2020, 09:01 AM - 2 Likes   #314
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Sometimes it feels like people think Pentax/Ricoh is a charity. They are not. If they can't make any money, they will disappear. Given that this fills a gap that's been missing for years, it only makes sense that it comes out at an initial price point that gets discounted later. If people want a "cheap consumer zoom", the 55-300 PLM is a fantastic lens. If the desire is a modern FF zoom that is something like "prosumer", then it's going to cost a bit more.
Folks (well, some of them) also want to dictate on Ricoh's behalf how much cost was attributed to the collaboration with Tamron, including cosmetic re-branding, lens coatings, WR materials / components (if different), focus limiter and firmware optimisation / testing etc.; plus, how much Ricoh should be allowed to profit from each lens after those costs

As I said in an earlier post, we'd all like the lens to be cheap or given away for free, so far as our own personal benefit is concerned. Looking at the bigger picture, though, we should want Pentax to remain a profitable and viable concern for Ricoh. There's a balance to be found...
01-22-2020, 09:06 AM   #315
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two years in Europe, yes.
Can't speak for other countries, but at least in Germany, as soon as the dealer/manufacturer warranty (minimum 6 months, sometimes around a year?) runs out it's something else than standard warranty for the remainder of 2 years from when you bought it, called "Gewährleistung" (defects liability?), where officially the customer has to prove that the defect has been present at the time of purchase, which is rarely possible, so you have to rely on goodwill to get something repaired for free, most of the time.