Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2020, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #331
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Facebook broke the news to me about 20 minutes ago!

Name:  70-210_4.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  46.0 KB

Steve

01-22-2020, 04:12 PM   #332
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The main reason people are irked by the price is not the price 'in a vacuum', but that it costs almost three times (in Europe at least) the price of a new 'original' Tamron 70-210 in Canikon mount, because we are comparing launch price vs discounted price of a 1.5 year old release... although the comparison matters if you're in the market for one such lens *today*. After the street price goes down it will be better
To be fair, we are still looking at a rumoured street price, or perhaps an MSRP.
01-22-2020, 04:18 PM   #333
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
$1100 USD launch price here in the U.S.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
To be fair, we are still looking at a rumoured street price, or perhaps an MSRP.
Pre-order price...

https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/product/hd-pentax-d-fa-70-210mm-f4-ed-sdm-wr/

Steve
01-22-2020, 04:22 PM   #334
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I just took a quick trip over to B&H to check out the Nikon variant, and it shows a 6 year "limited" warranty. Hhhmmmmm

Tamron 70-210mm f/4 Di VC USD Lens for Nikon F AFA034N-700 B&H
Yep...That is the standard Tamron warranty.

Steve

01-22-2020, 04:39 PM   #335
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No Tripod foot though? Disappointing
01-22-2020, 04:44 PM   #336
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rosettaquarrier Quote
They're selling it as "portable". I guess the absence of a tripod foot is consistent with that.
01-22-2020, 04:56 PM - 2 Likes   #337
Pentaxian

Yes, it is "disappointing" that so few photographers understand why they were given a left hand, and will complain about what they see as shortcomings of Pentax.

01-22-2020, 05:02 PM   #338
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You don't think the camera's tripod socket is up to the task?
01-22-2020, 05:06 PM   #339
Pentaxian

I'm sure that the Tamron tripod foot that they sell separately will fit.
01-22-2020, 05:22 PM   #340
mee
Veteran Member

This lens is sub 2 lbs. It's light. You won't need the tripod foot.

I've never needed the tripod foot with my Tamron version. And that version is heavier (due to the VC) than the Pentax variant.

You'll be fine.

If you really miss it, you can buy a CHI-NA knock off for cheap on ebay Elefront Tripod Mount Ring for Tamron 70-210mm f/4 Di VC USD (Model A034) | eBay
01-22-2020, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #341
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I agree that such is welcome for a 70-210. I have a Tamron SP 70-210/3.5 (19AH) which weighs in at 930gm without adapter (about 70gm more than the new Pentax at 859gm). It has no provision for a tripod shoe and is too heavy for on-tripod use without some sort of cradle. I jerry-rigged a Canon foot to fit.

I also have the Pentax-A 70-210/4.0 at 680gm. It is quite hand-holdable and with a decent head, works fine on-tripod as well.

It is hard to say, but there appears to be a fitting for a foot on some of the photos. Let's hope that is the case. That lacking, Tamron does make a ring ($$) for their similar lens in non-Pentax-K.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-22-2020 at 05:32 PM.
01-22-2020, 05:38 PM - 2 Likes   #342
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yes, it is "disappointing" that so few photographers understand why they were given a left hand, and will complain about what they see as shortcomings of Pentax.
And it's disappointing some folks have nothing better to do than sit around and pronounce judgement on others....

---------- Post added 01-22-20 at 05:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
You don't think the camera's tripod socket is up to the task?
Did I say that?

Personally I like having a tripod foot on my 60-250mm - I believe it gives more stability for long exposures than using a body mount. I understand Tamron offers an optional one for their version, my disappointment is it is not included given the premium price of the Pentax model.
01-22-2020, 05:52 PM   #343
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did I say that?
That's why I asked - I was uncertain of your thinking, and my own knowledge of the camera's tripod socket's suitability for certain tasks is minimal.

QuoteQuote:
Personally I like having a tripod foot on my 60-250mm - I believe it gives more stability for long exposures than using a body mount. I understand Tamron offers an optional one for their version, my disappointment is it is not included given the premium price of the Pentax model.
I thought about that, but wasn't sure - I don't shoot long exposures so my tripod needs are not as stringent as yours.
01-22-2020, 06:02 PM   #344
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No problem - my take is given a camera and lens will pivot around where it is connected, without a foot you have a longer 'lever' - the lens body - to act like a sail on a long exposure. Plus I find carrying the setup by the foot can sometimes be advantageous when hiking.

Will I buy one? Most likely yes, but I'll look out for the Tamron foot.
01-22-2020, 06:17 PM   #345
Pentaxian

And it's disappointing some folks have nothing better to do than sit around and pronounce judgement on others....

Personally I hand hold at those focal lengths - subject motion is my largest problem, so I use shutter speeds at which a tripod would add zero 'stability'.