Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1676 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2020, 05:11 AM - 7 Likes   #391
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Riddler Quote
No tripod collar for that price

Pentax Dont love their customers
Love doesn't come into it. It's a business, not a romantic relationship. You can have the tripod collar if you want it - you just have to buy it. Don't want to? Fine... don't buy the lens.

This is all about the difference in price (again). It's OK that Tamron doesn't provide the tripod collar, presumably, because their version of the lens is cheaper? Or don't Tamron love their customers either?

We really need to get over this price difference thing and look at what the lens offers and whether it provides value for money (now, and when the price has settled) to those who need or want it. Forget about the Tamron. This is the Pentax D FA70-210 f/4 WR, tailored specifically to our K-mount, with focus limiter and HD + SP coatings.

01-23-2020, 05:17 AM - 2 Likes   #392
Veteran Member

I would be suprosed if they miss a single sell due to the "missing" collar.
It is a lense where it is not 100% necessary and you can get cheap thirdparty workarounds (or just print one if you own a 3d-printer).
01-23-2020, 05:17 AM   #393
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Love doesn't come into it. It's a business, not a romantic relationship. You can have the tripod collar if you want it - you just have to buy it. Don't want to? Fine... don't buy the lens.

This is all about the difference in price (again). It's OK that Tamron doesn't provide the tripod collar, presumably, because their version of the lens is cheaper? Or don't Tamron love their customers either?

We really need to get over this price difference thing and look at what the lens offers and whether it provides value for money (now, and when the price has settled) to those who need or want it. Forget about the Tamron. This is the Pentax D FA70-210 f/4 WR, tailored specifically to our K-mount, with focus limiter and HD + SP coatings.
Your opinion is fine No problem
But I expected a little bit more for that price. It isnt a free lunch
01-23-2020, 05:29 AM - 5 Likes   #394
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Your opinion is fine No problem
But I expected a little bit more for that price. It isnt a free lunch
If they threw in the collar, would you actually buy it?

If you wouldn't buy the lens at launch price, or at some future discounted price (which we can only guess at), the tripod collar matters not.

If you'd be more likely to buy it with the collar, but there's really only a small chance you'd ever buy the lens, the tripod collar still matters not.

It's only if you're teetering on the edge of buying it and the lack of a tripod collar is a make or break factor that it matters at all.

Ricoh has priced the lens to recoup costs, make healthy profit and allow for future discounting - and that price is based on the lens without the tripod collar (as with Tamron).

01-23-2020, 05:34 AM   #395
Site Supporter

Ok ��
01-23-2020, 05:35 AM - 2 Likes   #396
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
I would be suprosed if they miss a single sell due to the "missing" collar.
It is a lense where it is not 100% necessary and you can get cheap thirdparty workarounds (or just print one if you own a 3d-printer).
Like this one, with an Arca Swiss compatible foot:

Tripod Collar with ARCA-SWISS Quick Release Plate for Tamron 70-210mm f/4 Di VC | eBay

01-23-2020, 05:59 AM - 3 Likes   #397
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's only if you're teetering on the edge of buying it and the lack of a tripod collar is a make or break factor that it matters at all.
And even then, if we are talking about launch price, it doesn't matter because one can easily wait until the price reduces by whatever a tripod collar costs.

The tripod not being included *is* because of economic reasons - the margin on those things is huge, so as long as it doesn't noticeably impact sales there is no business reason to throw it in for free.

Heck, Canon doesn't even include the hood in some cases, and that one is arguably an indispensable part of the lens.

01-23-2020, 06:06 AM   #398
bxf
Veteran Member

While we're still on price..

Traditionally, camera makers' lenses were always more expensive than their third party counterparts, and this was not necessarily because the latter were inferior - sometimes they were even better.

List to yourself whatever reasons you can think of to justify the makers' higher prices, and then try to see how many of those reasons are still valid in the case of the Penron. Doing this may alleviate some of the resistance to this lens's price.
01-23-2020, 06:28 AM - 3 Likes   #399
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
And even then, if we are talking about launch price, it doesn't matter because one can easily wait until the price reduces by whatever a tripod collar costs.

The tripod not being included *is* because of economic reasons - the margin on those things is huge, so as long as it doesn't noticeably impact sales there is no business reason to throw it in for free.

Heck, Canon doesn't even include the hood in some cases, and that one is arguably an indispensable part of the lens.

I'm reminded of a favourite scene from the movie "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels", where Nick is trying to buy a stolen television from Tom:

QuoteQuote:
Nick: So how much is it then, Tom?

Tom: You know how much it is, Nick.

Nick: And that includes the amp, yeah?

Tom: No. That does not include the amp.

Nick: ****, Tom. I thought it included the amp.

Tom: Well, it doesn't. I'll throw in one of these telephones if you like, but it does not include the amp.

Nick: Very nice. I hope it includes the speakers?

Tom: It doesn't include the speakers. It doesn't include the amp. And it's not supposed to include me getting the hump with your stupid questions. Now, you want it, Nick? You buy it.

Nick: What else do I get with it?

Tom: You get a gold-plated Rolls Royce, as long as you pay for it.

Nick: Don't know, Tom. Seems expensive...

Tom: Seems... well, this seems to be a waste of my time.
01-23-2020, 06:33 AM   #400
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote

Pentax is a small brand pentax was nearly dead. True pentaxians believed in Pentax
Pentax Can do something for their believers.
01-23-2020, 06:34 AM - 2 Likes   #401
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
But a RocknRolla? Oh, he's different. Why? Because a real RocknRolla wants the ... lot.

Guy Ritchie movies are in kinda Pentaxians way of life...
01-23-2020, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #402
Pentaxian

As a consumer it makes no sense to have any sympathy or regard for the manufacturers financial calculations.

Same as it doesn't make any sense for an employee to have any regard for the employers wish to keep your wages down.

Last edited by house; 01-23-2020 at 07:45 AM.
01-23-2020, 06:55 AM - 2 Likes   #403
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
As a consumer it makes no sense to have any sympathy or regard for the manufacturers financial calculations.

Same as it doesn't make any sense for an employee to have any regard for the emoployers wish to keep your wages down.
Oh absolutely, which is why I almost never buy something on release and I have zero problems buying used gear. About the employee part, boy could I go on about the topic... outside the forum. I tend to get political
01-23-2020, 07:04 AM   #404
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
af speed seems pretty good:

Twitter

also, i didn't see if anyone posted, but available for preorder on adorama. not on amazon yet.
https://www.adorama.com/ipx70210.html?origterm=pentax+hd+pentax-d+fa+70-210m...hredirect=true

also for a but more via ricoh
https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/product/hd-pentax-d-fa-70-210mm-f4-ed-sdm-wr/
01-23-2020, 07:04 AM - 5 Likes   #405
Pentaxian

Pentax is a small brand pentax was nearly dead. True pentaxians believed in Pentax
Pentax Can do something for their believers.
I'm not sure how what you wish for would help their bottom line.