Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1676 Likes Search this Thread
01-25-2020, 04:09 PM   #541
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
To get somewhat back to the subject, since this lens looks like it is built on the Tamron chassis, where would be a good source for the tripod mount? I checked B&H and figure there must be an Asian seller that would have it for a more reasonable price.
rawr had some suggestions in another thread on this lens: New lens HD Pentax-D FA 70-210mm -- Pentax Special Content - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

01-25-2020, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #542
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I know it's KAF4... but it just looks off without the aperture lever...
Get used to that look - hopefully most lenses issued during your lifetime will look like that.
01-25-2020, 04:18 PM - 2 Likes   #543
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Whats old is new.

But to go back to dizzying, panic inducing circular bokeh, heavy fringing, sharp in the center only, slow (or manual) focusing antiques? We have plenty of those available second hand and they all mount K right now if that is your thing. No waiting to be released required.

I think petapixel is in the market of saying everything and claiming nothing. Because they get paid by viewership and viewership happens by stirring the pot.
All well and good, but what’s perfect? There’s plenty in human vision that makes such definitions fraught, if not impossible. We’ve just been discussing the strengths and limitations of diffractive optics, as an illustration of the point.
01-25-2020, 04:32 PM   #544
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
what’s perfect?
Apart from myself, you mean?

01-25-2020, 05:07 PM   #545
Loyal Site Supporter

rawr had some suggestions in another thread on this lens: New lens HD Pentax-D FA 70-210mm -- Pentax Special Content - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
Excellent, thank you. Depending on how heavy it feels on the K1, it might need a tripod mount.
OTOH, one us always better to mount the camera on the tripod rather than the lens on the tripod if that is practical.
01-25-2020, 05:32 PM   #546
Veteran Member

OTOH, one us always better to mount the camera on the tripod rather than the lens on the tripod if that is practical.
At what point does the lens put too much leverage on the mount and damages the camera? Or I suppose whatever tripod head being used would slip first.
01-25-2020, 05:58 PM   #547
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Perfect is Boring: Lens Makers Need to Loosen Up and Have Fun
Finally...

01-25-2020, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #548
mee
Veteran Member

All well and good, but what’s perfect? There’s plenty in human vision that makes such definitions fraught, if not impossible. We’ve just been discussing the strengths and limitations of diffractive optics, as an illustration of the point.
It's indeed purely subjective, as is art in general. Which is why it is silly to argue such points back and forth.

Yet lenses don't typically come out of basement workshops these days, but out of factories. Factories owned by multi million (or billion) dollar corporations, that have a primary obligation to make a profit.

As a result, we both know they are going to go where the money is. And where the money is, is where the majority are. That's likely not in purposely limited optics for the sake of 'art.' So I don't see this catching on, especially when most of those effects can be added in post.
01-25-2020, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #549
mee
Veteran Member

Excellent, thank you. Depending on how heavy it feels on the K1, it might need a tripod mount.
I'm somewhat weight sensitive and I've never felt the need to buy/use the tripod collar with my Tamron 70-210mm. Also mine is slightly heavier than the Pentax due to the VC.

It is a sub 2 lbs lens and will pair nicely with the K-1 weight-wise imo. Not a fat, heavy tube like the f/2.8 model
01-25-2020, 07:17 PM   #550
Loyal Site Supporter

At what point does the lens put too much leverage on the mount and damages the camera? Or I suppose whatever tripod head being used would slip first.
That's the question. How much lens can the lens mount take before risking bending the body?
I suspect this new zoom will be fine mounted to a tripod by the body.
01-25-2020, 07:18 PM   #551
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K500/4.5 + on a Q?
01-25-2020, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #552
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I'm somewhat weight sensitive and I've never felt the need to buy/use the tripod collar with my Tamron 70-210mm. Also mine is slightly heavier than the Pentax due to the VC.

It is a sub 2 lbs lens and will pair nicely with the K-1 weight-wise imo. Not a fat, heavy tube like the f/2.8 model
Excellent, thank you.
01-25-2020, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #553
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
and you can read made in Vietnam at the bottom of the image, well both
Pentax's lens assembly plant in Vietnam has been in operation since about 2006. Gradually, Pentax seem to be making the 'MIV' labelling more prominent on lenses, which may be a sign that Ricoh is confident of the quality of plant output.

Just for info, the Tamron and Pentax lens assembly plants are only about 20km away from each other in Hanoi.

The sky is not falling! - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com

Probably the first 70-210 lens assemblies get prepared in the Tamron plant, then everything gets transported a short distance to the Pentax plant for final lens 'Pentaxization'. Or the Pentax plant just does the boxing.
01-25-2020, 08:23 PM - 1 Like   #554
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Pentax's lens assembly plant in Vietnam has been in operation since about 2006. Gradually, Pentax seem to be making the 'MIV' labelling more prominent on lenses, which may be a sign that Ricoh is confident of the quality of plant output.

Just for info, the Tamron and Pentax lens assembly plants are only about 20km away from each other in Hanoi.

The sky is not falling! - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com

Probably the first 70-210 lens assemblies get prepared in the Tamron plant, then everything gets transported a short distance to the Pentax plant for final lens 'Pentaxization'. Or the Pentax plant just does the boxing.
I’m guessing Pentax applies the HD and SuperProtect coatings in their own plant (patented processes and machinery) and may well grind and polish at least some of the elements (of course they might just apply HD coatings to Tamron elements). Then the glass would go to Tamron for assembly, presumably at a slower production speed if Pentax wants more precision. Since these are batch runs I imagine Tamron can afford to set up their machines for the ‘Pentaxization’ changes. I would be they box the lenses and deliver finished product to Ricoh for distribution.

I have to wonder how many pieces were ordered for the initial batch.
01-25-2020, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #555
Veteran Member

That's the question. How much lens can the lens mount take before risking bending the body?
I suspect this new zoom will be fine mounted to a tripod by the body.
I don't doubt that - I just wonder where the limit is.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
K500/4.5 + on a Q?
That may be beyond the limit.