Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2020, 04:34 PM   #811
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
On a more positive note, I will have the definitive "should I buy this lens" test soon. I'm flying to Asia for a while and I will be bringing too much stuff the Tokina 70-210/4.5 among other lenses. If I come back happy with the photos, I will probably start looking at a fast prime. If I feel the Tokina isn't up to snuff, well... might be time to actually invest in a good tele lens.

01-30-2020, 07:15 PM - 3 Likes   #812
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
As you added this later a sepperate response to this:

This is exactly what I dislike, this "all the others hate Pentax" stuff. The Pentax community would be much friendlier if they would not constantly attack every non Pentax user out there. There are numerous examples on a daily bases on this forum. If a review is not all the way positive, it is either the person being ignorant or payed too much by other brands. If somebody does not know my gear (why should he even, Pentax has a rather small market share. Most commonly known are those cameras most commonly sold. Show them your Hasselblad and they propably wont notice either.) he just does not know my gear. Thats about it.
QuoteQuote:
This is exactly what I dislike, this "all the others hate Pentax" stuff.
Who forced you to come here?
You come here, you issue general insults to the Pentax users on the site.
You dump straw man arguments ("all the others hate Pentax", no one said that but you, "If a review is not all the way positive, it is either the person being ignorant or payed too much by other brands." Sometimes it is. You aren't automatically right just because you criticize Pentax.

Given your attitude towards the posters on the site, why are you here?

Are you thinking you're the guy who's going to reform us and make us better people in your estimation?

So let me lay it out for you... come here if you want information on your Pentax gear and how to use it. we can be very helpful. If what you want to do is just trash the many for the crimes of a few and tell Pentax users what's wrong with them, maybe this isn't the place for you.

Last edited by normhead; 01-30-2020 at 07:21 PM.
01-30-2020, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #813
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentaxians know that not every Pentax branded lens is awesome. Many are excellent, some are merely good enough. I'm not sure if there are any real dogs in the line up, none that I know of.

Nikon and Sony and Canon have nice lenses too -- for a price. Sony is about the worst as far as cost of their G Master lenses goes. I'm sure they're nice lenses, but I don't know that I could afford many of them, while I have gradually acquired a pretty full line up Pentax lenses, including the DFA 15-30, 24-70 and DFA *70-200. This lens will fill a nice spot in the line up and I expect it to sell well, particularly once the price drops just a bit.
01-30-2020, 09:51 PM   #814
Veteran Member

I hope this lens arrives for review by PF, and/or lenstip soon. Although they hardly ever review any Pentax lenses nowadays, Lenstip would be particularly useful as they have also reviewed the Tamron.

In looking at the lenstip, it's also interesting to note the similarities between the Tamron 70-210 and the [slightly older but well performing] Nikon 70-200 f4. Both have a very familiar design with some common features between the Tamron/Pentax and Nikon that suggest Tamron probably makes the Nikon too:

- 20 elements in 14 groups,
- 67 mm filter size,
- circular aperture with nine blades,
- closest focus distance 0.95-1m,
- internal zoom & focusing,
- weight: 820-860g between Nikon/Tamron/Pentax
- tripod adapter must be bought separately.

Last edited by rawr; 01-30-2020 at 10:29 PM.
01-30-2020, 10:30 PM - 2 Likes   #815
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I hope this lens arrives for review by PF, and/or lenstip soon.
FWIW, I will be reviewing the lens myself in about 3 weeks. My pusher came through with a very good price, and it fits into one of the few categories where I find zoom lenses to be acceptable.
01-30-2020, 10:37 PM   #816
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I hope this lens arrives for review by PF, and/or lenstip soon. Although they hardly ever review any Pentax lenses nowadays, Lenstip would be particularly useful as they have also reviewed the Tamron.
Someone needs to encourage the Polish Pentax distributor to push one, with a K1, to Lenstip.
01-31-2020, 12:59 AM - 1 Like   #817
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
pentaxians know that not every Pentax branded lens is awesome. Many are excellent, some are merely good enough.
For me , for travel, there is a deal bigger than pure image quality, that deal is portability. The lens I used for 100% of my travels was the DA 18-250 (was a Tamron with Pentax modifs), that lens was only acceptably sharp in the center beyond 100mm, but I've taken some of my best photographs with that lens. And.... while my DA17-70 (pure Pentax lens) SDM died, my DA 18-250 still AF perfectly after years of use in the dust of morocco, rain of scotland, and humidity of south east asia and heat of caribbean. Now is the dilemma for me... I have the DFA *70-200, awsome lens optically, but I don't quite see myself bringing that lens everywhere travelling by plane, bus, 4wd etc. , no only that it's heavy, but it's expensive so if it gets stolen or damaged the cost is for me, no matter how good optically it is.

01-31-2020, 01:39 AM - 2 Likes   #818
Pentaxian

Lenstip's last review of a Pentax lens is from 2013. I wouldn't count on it changing anytime soon, with all the mirrorless stuff in the pipeline...

Last edited by BarneyL; 01-31-2020 at 04:43 AM.
01-31-2020, 03:52 AM   #819
Pentaxian

There is no need to way to lenstip. The MTF charts of the DFA70-210 can be found at Ricoh Imaging web site here : HD PENTAX-D FA 70-210mmF4ED SDM WR / Telephoto Lenses / K-mount Lenses / Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING

Compared side by size, the MTF charts of the Pentax D-FA70-210 f4 (@f4) look better than the MTF charts of the Pentax D-FA*70-200 f2.8 (@f2.8).
At ~200mm f4, the D-FA70-210 resolves more details than the D-FA*70-200 at f2.8. It's a good sign.
01-31-2020, 04:09 AM - 2 Likes   #820
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
There is no need to way to lenstip. The MTF charts of the DFA70-210 can be found at Ricoh Imaging web site here : HD PENTAX-D FA 70-210mmF4ED SDM WR / Telephoto Lenses / K-mount Lenses / Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING

Compared side by size, the MTF charts of the Pentax D-FA70-210 f4 (@f4) look better than the MTF charts of the Pentax D-FA*70-200 f2.8 (@f2.8).
At ~200mm f4, the D-FA70-210 resolves more details than the D-FA*70-200 at f2.8. It's a good sign.
E Photozine usually reviews the Pentax versions of the lens. The interesting thing is often how the Pentax versions differ from the Tamron (may just be copy variation, but still)...

Pentax DFA 15-30: HD PENTAX-D FA 15-30mm F2.8 ED SDM WR Review | ePHOTOzine

Tamron 15-30 f2.8: Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Review | ePHOTOzine
01-31-2020, 06:45 AM - 6 Likes   #821
Veteran Member

Although I only have a Ricoh WG-5 camera related to Pentax in general, am I among the few who are actually excited about Pentax 70-210mm f4 lens? This lens should be the best tele lens for travel and for outdoor shootings due to weight and performance... I've played with the Tamron version of the lens on a city break with my nephews and optically is quite good. Tamron is slower to focus than my Canon 70-200mm f4L IS lens, it has some purple fringe when shooting with the sun behind the model and it doesn't have the Canon colors that I'm used to, but it's quite a good lens and for the money it's an excellent lens. If I were on a budget, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Tamron lens. Given that Pentax uses it's HD coatings and the lens has also focus limiter, it should be a very good lens.

Below are 2 random images of my niece (original version straight out of camera and 100% crop for each image) taken with the Tamron 70-210mm at 210mm and f4 mounted on my 5D Mark IV. On a 36mp camera without AA filter it should look even better. I do hope to get the chance to play with this lens when it will become available.

Image No. 1

Crop 100% from the above image

Image No. 2

Crop 100% from the above image

01-31-2020, 06:56 AM   #822
Pentaxian

Ouch, this thing is shaaaaaarp
01-31-2020, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #823
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
E Photozine usually reviews the Pentax versions of the lens. The interesting thing is often how the Pentax versions differ from the Tamron (may just be copy variation, but still)...

Pentax DFA 15-30: HD PENTAX-D FA 15-30mm F2.8 ED SDM WR Review | ePHOTOzine

Tamron 15-30 f2.8: Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Review | ePHOTOzine

Its the same with the dfa* 50 and the opera as well as the 24-70 compared with the tamron.

Might be flawed methodology. The Pentax lenses always have more even sharpness. As if the peak center sharpness have been cut off.

I dont know how much the camera sensor tweaks can affect the lens performance but the consistent pattern is odd.
01-31-2020, 07:31 AM - 2 Likes   #824
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
Ths was my first post, where I immidiatly talked about it being cheap. Cheap is usually a relative thing, in this case I thought it is obviously that the reference point are other comparable lenses we talk about.
"Cheap" is a 'loaded ' word, meaning not much money and low quality. I wanted to assure that you still see to Pentax quality built in, and less expensive, putting these other qualities in context.
01-31-2020, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #825
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Its the same with the dfa* 50 and the opera as well as the 24-70 compared with the tamron.Might be flawed methodology. The Pentax lenses always have more even sharpness. As if the peak center sharpness have been cut off.I dont know how much the camera sensor tweaks can affect the lens performance but the consistent pattern is odd.
It seems that my 48" print is dead sharp in the 75% of the image. With any of my D-FA lenses, I can see a slight fade of detail in corners when looking as close as my eyes allow. It seems that I get print 24"x 36" with fine details from a K1 file (given that shooting conditions were good, shutter speed fast enough, no motion blur etc). How large do you print?

---------- Post added 31-01-20 at 16:42 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Ouch, this thing is shaaaaaarp
Sharp with smooth bokeh.